C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

The W205 from a BMW owners perspective.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250(W205)
The W205 from a BMW owners perspective.

Hi,

I am a proud owner of a new C250 Amg line. This is the first Mercedes I've owned(although i've previously driven a 2012 E class). I've been driving Bmws for the past 8 years with my main vehicle being a 2008 520d. I have a lot of respect for BMW's and would buy one again but I wanted something different. The minute I first saw the W205, I couldn't stop looking at it. I think we can all agree it's the most jaw dropping mid sized saloon.

I wanted to share with you my first impressions after owning the C250 for just over a month and how it compares to a BMW. This isn't a direct comparison with any particular model from BMW, just some of the things I've noticed with the two German manufacturers.

The Interior
The first thing I noticed with the W205 was the quality of the interior. I had never sat in anything like it. Every time I have someone sit in the vehicle, they stop talking for about 10 seconds just to take it all in. I have the red leather interior which always gives the wow factor and the panoramic sunroof never fails to amaze. BMW have very high quality interiors also, but none have ever made me feel the way that the Mercedes did.

The Exterior
I feel that exterior is more of a matter of opinion. In my opinion a majority of BMW's look nicer than most Mercedes but no BMW looks as good as the new C Class!(with the exception of the BMW i8). The styling is a perfect blend of sportiness and luxury.

The Drive
This is where I have to stick with BMW. The drive on their vehicles is just superior. I can't argue that fact. The C class has a great drive, but I don't find it as comfortable or sporty as a BMW. I don't have the air suspension but neither have any of the Bmws I've driven. Also I've noticed my brakes making a strange grinding/squeeking noise when slowly braking. But I do love the electronic steering. I feel like I could steer with one finger.

The little things
Ok so there are little things I've noticed about each company and it says a lot about how they approach the design of their vehicles. For example the key fobs. Both have amazing tech such as keyless go and data storage for the vehicle, but the BMW key fob has a different shape for each button so its easily recognisable which button you are pressing while the key is in your pocket. The Mercedes buttons are all small and similar and its quite difficult to hit the right button first time. Like I said these are little things.
Also I find the idrive a lot more intuitive than the Comand. The Comand has too many overlays and hidden menus. It doesn't even have a dedicated change track button. Also the screen position is more driver oriented in Bmws.
What I love about Mercedes is that they seem to implement things that seem unnecessary until you use them and can't go without them. Things like the option for the steering wheel to raise up once you turn off the ignition to make it easier for taller people to get out. Or the reverse camera as standard. Or the many security features like the warning if the car ahead is too close.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase but with these luxury cars, you will always miss things when you switch. There are things I miss from my BMW and I know there would be things I miss from my Mercedes should I ever go back.

I've tried my best to give a fair opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion.

What are your opinions and are there any of you coming from another manufacturer that like/dislike certain things?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:02 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by H4RJ
Hi,

I am a proud owner of a new C250 Amg line. This is the first Mercedes I've owned(although i've previously driven a 2012 E class). I've been driving Bmws for the past 8 years with my main vehicle being a 2008 520d. I have a lot of respect for BMW's and would buy one again but I wanted something different. The minute I first saw the W205, I couldn't stop looking at it. I think we can all agree it's the most jaw dropping mid sized saloon.

I wanted to share with you my first impressions after owning the C250 for just over a month and how it compares to a BMW. This isn't a direct comparison with any particular model from BMW, just some of the things I've noticed with the two German manufacturers.

The Interior
The first thing I noticed with the W205 was the quality of the interior. I had never sat in anything like it. Every time I have someone sit in the vehicle, they stop talking for about 10 seconds just to take it all in. I have the red leather interior which always gives the wow factor and the panoramic sunroof never fails to amaze. BMW have very high quality interiors also, but none have ever made me feel the way that the Mercedes did.

The Exterior
I feel that exterior is more of a matter of opinion. In my opinion a majority of BMW's look nicer than most Mercedes but no BMW looks as good as the new C Class!(with the exception of the BMW i8). The styling is a perfect blend of sportiness and luxury.

The Drive
This is where I have to stick with BMW. The drive on their vehicles is just superior. I can't argue that fact. The C class has a great drive, but I don't find it as comfortable or sporty as a BMW. I don't have the air suspension but neither have any of the Bmws I've driven.
Also I've noticed my brakes making a strange grinding/squeeking noise when slowly braking. But I do love the electronic steering. I feel like I could steer with one finger.

The little things
Ok so there are little things I've noticed about each company and it says a lot about how they approach the design of their vehicles. For example the key fobs. Both have amazing tech such as keyless go and data storage for the vehicle, but the BMW key fob has a different shape for each button so its easily recognisable which button you are pressing while the key is in your pocket. The Mercedes buttons are all small and similar and its quite difficult to hit the right button first time. Like I said these are little things.
Also I find the idrive a lot more intuitive than the Comand. The Comand has too many overlays and hidden menus. It doesn't even have a dedicated change track button. Also the screen position is more driver oriented in Bmws.
What I love about Mercedes is that they seem to implement things that seem unnecessary until you use them and can't go without them. Things like the option for the steering wheel to raise up once you turn off the ignition to make it easier for taller people to get out. Or the reverse camera as standard. Or the many security features like the warning if the car ahead is too close.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase but with these luxury cars, you will always miss things when you switch. There are things I miss from my BMW and I know there would be things I miss from my Mercedes should I ever go back.

I've tried my best to give a fair opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion.

What are your opinions and are there any of you coming from another manufacturer that like/dislike certain things?
agreed on pretty much all the above points although not directly related to W205. I own a car from each brand and appreciate the quality each offers . I particularly agree with highlighted points above
Old 01-30-2015, 02:15 AM

C250(W205)
Originally Posted by Sol01
agreed on pretty much all the above points although not directly related to W205. I own a car from each brand and appreciate the quality each offers . I particularly agree with highlighted points above
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and highlighting the parts you agree with.

Are you thinking about getting the new c class?
Old 01-30-2015, 04:21 AM

W205 220 BT
Also coming from BMW.
Interiors: you're right. they're wonderful (MB new interior design department is in Como - Italy).
Exterior: I totally agree
Drive: don't agree: my BMW was more sporty but MB is far more nicer to work both in the traffic and on the highway. With BMW it seemed me to go faster, but looking at the speedo it isn't true. You can go really fast but really relaxed with the new W205. Moreover, the W205 seems lighter, smaller and more maneuverable that my X1, although it really isn't.
Little things:
Yes the key is bit of a mess.
I didn't have iDrive, so I can't compare my Audio 20+Garmin. They seem good, although it took me more than one hour of test in order to understand it.
The rear camera in my opinion is useless with parking sensors, but as I don't have them on my W205, i find the red bottom line quite usefull!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
One thing I'm excited about when my car arrives... keyless access.. no worry over fob buttons. If I play my cards right, I get to keep both my BMW for mad moments (300+hp roadster) and the Merc for the more relaxing (most) moments in life.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 AM

C250(W205)
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
One thing I'm excited about when my car arrives... keyless access.. no worry over fob buttons. If I play my cards right, I get to keep both my BMW for mad moments (300+hp roadster) and the Merc for the more relaxing (most) moments in life.
One thing about keyless access for me was that I have got so used to entering the car and starting the car without a key, that I seem to forget to lock the car once I exit!

But you have also made me think of one more thing I preffered on my BMW. On my old 5 series, I could start the car with the key, then remove the key and start up as long as I pressed start within 10 secs. This was very useful in winter as I would do this and go back in my house while the car heated up and the doors could be locked. But on the c class, even if I exit the car with the keys in my pocket, it won't let me lock it if the engine is running. Didn't realise how much I appreciated that feature until it's no longer there. Obviously I wouldn't leave my car running without the doors locked.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 AM

C250(W205)
Originally Posted by Edo81
Also coming from BMW.
Interiors: you're right. they're wonderful (MB new interior design department is in Como - Italy).
Drive: don't agree: my BMW was more sporty but MB is far more nicer to work both in the traffic and on the highway. With BMW it seemed me to go faster, but looking at the speedo it isn't true. You can go really fast but really relaxed with the new W205. Moreover, the W205 seems lighter, smaller and more maneuverable that my X1, although it really isn't.
Little things:
I didn't have iDrive, so I can't compare my Audio 20+Garmin. They seem good, although it took me more than one hour of test in order to understand it.
The rear camera in my opinion is useless with parking sensors, but as I don't have them on my W205, i find the red bottom line quite usefull!
I suppose comparing the drive can be slightly unfair as I had the 5 series. A fair comparison would be with the e class of similar spec. Also this is the first auto I've owned which in my opinion is never going to be as fun as a manual, but I purchased an auto for retaining the value on the long run. I'd say my c class is a lot easier to drive compared to my old BMW, what with the electronic steering, auto, safety features etc. But both BMW and Mercedes have have some of the best drives out there.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 AM

W205 220 BT
I suppose comparing the drive can be slightly unfair.
Mine is also unfair: BMW X1 is a meltin' pot of early 2000s BMW cars, with a wide carry-over of components and a considerable downgrading in quality. The only good things are the old 3er touring chassis, brakes and steering it uses (and als the styling wich made me chose this car 4 years ago)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Edo81
Also coming from BMW.
Little things:

you can not compare the drive of X1 with W205. F30 in my opinion both handles and rides better than W205 in sportsline configuration. having said that I think they are aimed to please different set of customers
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and highlighting the parts you agree with.

Are you thinking about getting the new c class?
Hi . I am waiting for C205 ( coupe ) to show up before deciding.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 AM

W205 220 BT
you can not compare the drive of X1 with W205. F30 in my opinion both handles and rides better than W205 in sportsline configuration. having said that I think they are aimed to please different set of customers
Probably you're right: my X1 wasn't bad at all in the curves, but I don't live inside Monza circuit, so I also took in consideration the interiors, the standard options, the "look" and the "everyday usability" (F30 was the main option when ordered mine)
Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
As a former and now repeat BMW owner, having had a W204 along the way, I have to offer MB congratulations on a spectacular accomplishment with the W205 (setting aside teething issues at Alabama). Objectively, as one who spent a career in the industry, I think all must respect the vehicle's capabilities and characteristics.

As a buyer, the attraction seems premised on a litmus test. Would one aspire to an S-Class? Not all do, but for those who would say, "yes", the W205 is a wonderful opportunity. The new C is very much in the mold of the S, albeit in the size and price for wider appeal. The exterior has the same classic elegance and confident serenity. The interior (and I will also set aside the nav screen) also conveys quality, comfort, and luxury with high style.

The vehicle dynamics are also consistent with the above character and positioning. Confident, comfortable, but not intended to increase the pulse, actually the intention is more likely to calm. The overall consistency among the major attributes is the challenge which MB has done so well, which is surprisingly not as easy or commonly achieved as some might think. I can only imagine the imminent W213 E Class, and I expect if my wife's preferences hold constant, one of those will find its way into our garage (but not in the first year of production!). W205 isn't large enough for her sense of comfort.

Given all of the above, I'm not the target, which is why I returned to a metallic orange, Track Handling Package, 6 speed manual BMW which simply hits a different target just as well as the W205 goes after its own. Better for two brands to have different reasons for being, and with the W205 and most recent BMW car in the 2 Series, they are both getting back on their own tracks.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-30-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
As a former and now repeat BMW owner, having had a W204 along the way, I have to offer MB congratulations on a spectacular accomplishment with the W205 (setting aside teething issues at Alabama). Objectively, as one who spent a career in the industry, I think all must respect the vehicle's capabilities and characteristics.

As a buyer, the attraction seems premised on a litmus test. Would one aspire to an S-Class? Not all do, but for those who would say, "yes", the W205 is a wonderful opportunity. The new C is very much in the mold of the S, albeit in the size and price for wider appeal. The exterior has the same classic elegance and confident serenity. The interior (and I will also set aside the nav screen) also conveys quality, comfort, and luxury with high style.

The vehicle dynamics are also consistent with the above character and positioning. Confident, comfortable, but not intended to increase the pulse, actually the intention is more likely to calm. The overall consistency among the major attributes is the challenge which MB has done so well, which is surprisingly not as easy or commonly achieved as some might think. I can only imagine the imminent W213 E Class, and I expect if my wife's preferences hold constant, one of those will find its way into our garage (but not in the first year of production!). W205 isn't large enough for her sense of comfort.

Given all of the above, I'm not the target, which is why I returned to a metallic orange, Track Handling Package, 6 speed manual BMW which simply hits a different target just as well as the W205 goes after its own. Better for two brands to have different reasons for being, and with the W205 and most recent BMW car in the 2 Series, they are both getting back on their own tracks.
indeed. reminds me of a quote by Mercedes boss upon release of W205, he said that W205 is not a car design to beat the 3 series, rather a car that has its own merits and showcases Mercedes values and what it stands for. both appeal to their own set of customers and we are in the lucky position to enjoy one or the other.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Polar White C200 A Exclusive Premium Business
As a former BMW driver for 10 years I also agree on many things said above. I was going to buy a new 3 series Gran Coupe , but nothing had changed in the interior. Same dull instrument panel and a little bit of old fashion styling. I think MB has a nicer ride . Not too hard for me. The auto gearbox is not as good as ZF, but I manage. The MB have a little better quality than BMW. I am very happy with my C200 petrol.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 AM

Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Former Bmw driver here too. I loved my 2003 5 series E39. At 12 years old it was very dated in the tech department but a good solid car, balanced, and a pleasure to drive. I started thinking about upgrading and called into a local dealer but nothing really took my fancy and I decided I would spend a few grand and upgrade the tech and give her a bit of an overhaul. THEN.....my husband suggested I take a look at the new C class. Well, end of story really .
I read the reviews, called into the dealers, looked at a few different cars, booked a test drive, and signed on the dotted line! Buying a car like this is a significant financial commitment for me and not something that I would do lightly. I am so happy with this car . It is beautiful to look at, a joy to drive. I find it very relaxing and calming. I also enjoy whacking it into sport+ and booting up through the hills on the way home from work.
Thanks to all the contributors on this forum as well, I am learning a lot.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Boudicca
Former Bmw driver here too. I loved my 2003 5 series E39. At 12 years old it was very dated in the tech department but a good solid car, balanced, and a pleasure to drive. I started thinking about upgrading and called into a local dealer but nothing really took my fancy and I decided I would spend a few grand and upgrade the tech and give her a bit of an overhaul. THEN.....my husband suggested I take a look at the new C class. Well, end of story really .
I read the reviews, called into the dealers, looked at a few different cars, booked a test drive, and signed on the dotted line! Buying a car like this is a significant financial commitment for me and not something that I would do lightly. I am so happy with this car . It is beautiful to look at, a joy to drive. I find it very relaxing and calming. I also enjoy whacking it into sport+ and booting up through the hills on the way home from work.
E39 an all time classic , I wonder if BMW can ever make a 5 series as good as that again
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM

Polar White C200 A Exclusive Premium Business
E39 an all time classic , I wonder if BMW can ever make a 5 series as good as that again
This was my first BMW E39 525d. That was the best car ever had.It was really well made.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 AM

C250(W205)
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Totally agree about the sport+ mode. It's like turning a helicopter to a fighter jet! A lot of fun.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C36 AMG 6spd; V8 M3
I had a 2008 550i Msport and agree that it's hard for MBs to match the driving dynamics of BMWs with their near 50/50 weight distribution. I know these vehicles aren't in the same class but the larger BMW handled corners quite well. However, I'm aware that MB's forte is not so much about handling but more about comfort, luxury, and tech. I hope reliability will be better too.

I will say that when the C400's turbos spool up it feels a bit faster than the big BMW V8. However, magazines show 1/4 mile times to be about the same. I really hope there will be some good tuning options for the W205 platform soon.

Last edited by chutak; 02-04-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by chutak
I will say that when C400's turbos spool up it feels a bit faster than the big BMW V8. However, magazines show 1/4 mile times to be about the same. I really hope there will be some good tuning options for the W205 platform soon.
C400 is not a turbo, I like to try one out if there is a C400 turbo.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C36 AMG 6spd; V8 M3
Originally Posted by miketc
Edited, thanks.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Brilliant. I do love it when people don't even know what they are driving.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Now you have me confused Miketc...

From the MBUSA web site -"There's a new family of overachievers under the C-Class hood. A new 241-hp turbo-4 in the C300 boosts power and torque by 20%. And the new 329-hp biturbo V-6 in the C400 outruns many V-8s."

Unfortunately, the C400 doesn't come to "old Blighty" - but unless MBUSA don't know their own cars, I think it IS a turbo, a twin turbo.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 AM

B200T
C400 is biturbo.

All the luxury car makers are starting to include turbos in their cars to reduce fuel consumption. That's why the C400 no-longer means a C class with a 4.0L engine, and the 300 doesn't stand for a 3.0L either. BMW is doing the same. The BMW 335 doesn't have a 3.5L engine either.
They all slap Turbos on their cars to make 'the equivalent' of what the aforementioned-sized engines would have made without the turbos.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by mihaelb
C400 is biturbo.

All the luxury car makers are starting to include turbos in their cars to reduce fuel consumption. That's why the C400 no-longer means a C class with a 4.0L engine, and the 300 doesn't stand for a 3.0L either. BMW is doing the same. The BMW 335 doesn't have a 3.5L engine either.
They all slap Turbos on their cars to make 'the equivalent' of what the aforementioned-sized engines would have made without the turbos.
As mihaelb said.

You can probably find this out from the MB US site directly (can't do so on the UK site as we don't get the C400 in the UK). But a quick google search shows this: http://www.auto-data.net/en/?f=showCar&car_id=20880

I hope that helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The W205 from a BMW owners perspective.