C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

The W205 from a BMW owners perspective.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by jolt8631
Now you have me confused Miketc...

From the MBUSA web site -"There's a new family of overachievers under the C-Class hood. A new 241-hp turbo-4 in the C300 boosts power and torque by 20%. And the new 329-hp biturbo V-6 in the C400 outruns many V-8s."

Unfortunately, the C400 doesn't come to "old Blighty" - but unless MBUSA don't know their own cars, I think it IS a turbo, a twin turbo.
I stand to be corrected, C400 is a biturbo. I guess I have to schedule a test drive, Again. My salesman told me at the time of my test drive that the V6 was not a turbo; I guess he was right, it's not a turbo, it's a biturbo.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 220 BT
Coming back to my BMW interesting (few) features, does anybody know if on our MB is there any possibility to open/close windows using the buttons on the key? It was really usefull...
Old 02-07-2015, 01:36 PM

C300 model 2015
window open

yes just press & hold open icon on fob....they will open
same to close...hold lock icon...will also close moon roof..
Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
I have the best of both worlds- a sub 40k mile BMW Z3 that I adore, favorite car ever owned alongside my C Coupe. I feel that the late 90s/early 2000s were the pinnicle of BMW design and quality and frankly made a mistake buying a 2008 135i when they came out. Unless something changes over at BMW, their new offerings do nothing for me.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:45 AM

C250(W205)
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
I have the best of both worlds- a sub 40k mile BMW Z3 that I adore, favorite car ever owned alongside my C Coupe. I feel that the late 90s/early 2000s were the pinnicle of BMW design and quality and frankly made a mistake buying a 2008 135i when they came out. Unless something changes over at BMW, their new offerings do nothing for me.
Their new offerings all seem far too similar to each other. They seem to be trying to refine each model instead of trying to take massive leaps forward. There are times where it's difficult to tell new models apart. The new 3 series almost looks the same as the 5.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:59 PM

2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by H4RJ
Their new offerings all seem far too similar to each other. They seem to be trying to refine each model instead of trying to take massive leaps forward. There are times where it's difficult to tell new models apart. The new 3 series almost looks the same as the 5.
And the interiors are depressingly boring.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
I would agree on the interiors. Nothing to see here...move along now.
The interior of the new C is such a leap ahead.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:30 AM

W205 220 BT
Originally Posted by omnidive
yes just press & hold open icon on fob....they will open
same to close...hold lock icon...will also close moon roof..
No way. Unfortunately it didn't work at all. Maybe it's due to the fact I have a different key fob (I don't have keyless)
Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
I am counting down the days until my fully specc'd C250 AMG Line Bluetec arrives. I am coming from a BMW F30 320d Sport with all the options pretty much.

I wasn't planning on selling my F30 , but then met the W205 in Paris at the start of 2014 (how romantic haha) and it indeed was love at first sight. Six months later I was invited to the Australian launch in Perth and thought it must of been fate.

Obviously I can't compare them completely, yet, however, it is clear that BMW is still "The ultimate driving machine" practical, if not somewhat 'safe' interior and exterior but focussed on being a drivers car, they are performance based.

The C Class on the other hand is about luxury, refinement and comfort.
BMW will get you there fast and furious, with a sensational refined ZF 8 speed and award winning engine.

MB will get you there in the lap of luxury, refreshed and comfortable.. with a solid, trusted and proven transmission and engine combo.

The interiors speak for themselves. F30 felt like a sports car, W205 feels like compact luxury and refinement. Sitting in a C for the very first time myself and my best mate, both avid BMW fans, were both blown away..

Very much looking forward to doing a drive comparison in a few weeks time.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:02 AM

CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by Edo81
Coming back to my BMW interesting (few) features, does anybody know if on our MB is there any possibility to open/close windows using the buttons on the key? It was really usefull...
Yeah I love that closing the sun roof and windows from the remote is awesome. and lowering them to, wish MB would do that.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
They do
Old 03-08-2015, 08:10 AM

C250 W205 in Polar White
You can do this on the W205...

See youtube vid -

Originally Posted by bartola
Yeah I love that closing the sun roof and windows from the remote is awesome. and lowering them to, wish MB would do that.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 AM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by H4RJ
Hi,

I am a proud owner of a new C250 Amg line. This is the first Mercedes I've owned(although i've previously driven a 2012 E class). I've been driving Bmws for the past 8 years with my main vehicle being a 2008 520d. I have a lot of respect for BMW's and would buy one again but I wanted something different. The minute I first saw the W205, I couldn't stop looking at it. I think we can all agree it's the most jaw dropping mid sized saloon.

I wanted to share with you my first impressions after owning the C250 for just over a month and how it compares to a BMW. This isn't a direct comparison with any particular model from BMW, just some of the things I've noticed with the two German manufacturers.

The Interior
The first thing I noticed with the W205 was the quality of the interior. I had never sat in anything like it. Every time I have someone sit in the vehicle, they stop talking for about 10 seconds just to take it all in. I have the red leather interior which always gives the wow factor and the panoramic sunroof never fails to amaze. BMW have very high quality interiors also, but none have ever made me feel the way that the Mercedes did.

The Exterior
I feel that exterior is more of a matter of opinion. In my opinion a majority of BMW's look nicer than most Mercedes but no BMW looks as good as the new C Class!(with the exception of the BMW i8). The styling is a perfect blend of sportiness and luxury.

The Drive
This is where I have to stick with BMW. The drive on their vehicles is just superior. I can't argue that fact. The C class has a great drive, but I don't find it as comfortable or sporty as a BMW. I don't have the air suspension but neither have any of the Bmws I've driven. Also I've noticed my brakes making a strange grinding/squeeking noise when slowly braking. But I do love the electronic steering. I feel like I could steer with one finger.

The little things
Ok so there are little things I've noticed about each company and it says a lot about how they approach the design of their vehicles. For example the key fobs. Both have amazing tech such as keyless go and data storage for the vehicle, but the BMW key fob has a different shape for each button so its easily recognisable which button you are pressing while the key is in your pocket. The Mercedes buttons are all small and similar and its quite difficult to hit the right button first time. Like I said these are little things.
Also I find the idrive a lot more intuitive than the Comand. The Comand has too many overlays and hidden menus. It doesn't even have a dedicated change track button. Also the screen position is more driver oriented in Bmws.
What I love about Mercedes is that they seem to implement things that seem unnecessary until you use them and can't go without them. Things like the option for the steering wheel to raise up once you turn off the ignition to make it easier for taller people to get out. Or the reverse camera as standard. Or the many security features like the warning if the car ahead is too close.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase but with these luxury cars, you will always miss things when you switch. There are things I miss from my BMW and I know there would be things I miss from my Mercedes should I ever go back.

I've tried my best to give a fair opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion.

What are your opinions and are there any of you coming from another manufacturer that like/dislike certain things?
I have been with MB a long time but I appreciate hearing the perspective coming from another brand.

The one thing MB did on the W205 is to add a sunglass holder. I had wanted that for years but MB would never do it. I no longer need a sunglass holder as I now wear Rx glasses .

There is a MB way of doing things and I guess I have gotten used to it. With my W205 the learning curve was with multimedia controls (very different from my 2012 E350) and Distronic.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM

CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by Boudicca
They do
Sweet, did not know that, is it part of a package? my CLA doesn't have that feature. BMW's even my old E46 had this as standard feature.

Last edited by bartola; 03-08-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Sweet, did not know that, is it part of a package? my CLA doesn't have that feature. BMW's even my old E46 had this as standard feature.
Try this: open the windows and sunroof. Stand outside the car and lock with the key fob, but hold down the lock button for a long time and see if the windows react. Sunroof should follow. That was how it functioned on my W204.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:31 PM

CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Try this: open the windows and sunroof. Stand outside the car and lock with the key fob, but hold down the lock button for a long time and see if the windows react. Sunroof should follow. That was how it functioned on my W204.
Yeah, just tried all that on my CLA, nothing, windows will not close or open with remote. I know that is how it works on the BMW, sunroof and all. Hope the W205 has it as well, next time I am at the dealers I will try it, less than a month to go for my delivery.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM

Porsche Cayenne
Originally Posted by jolt8631
Now you have me confused Miketc...

From the MBUSA web site -"There's a new family of overachievers under the C-Class hood. A new 241-hp turbo-4 in the C300 boosts power and torque by 20%. And the new 329-hp biturbo V-6 in the C400 outruns many V-8s."

Unfortunately, the C400 doesn't come to "old Blighty" - but unless MBUSA don't know their own cars, I think it IS a turbo, a twin turbo.
Correct twin turbo. The only single turbo car is the CLA line. The C450 comes out soon which is going to be a beast 362HP. The C400 is going goto be discontinued.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by dave-t
Correct twin turbo. The only single turbo car is the CLA line. The C450 comes out soon which is going to be a beast 362HP. The C400 is going goto be discontinued.
C300 is the other only single turbo car.
This would make two only single turbo cars, correct?
Old 03-08-2015, 04:23 PM

2015 C3004W
Yeah, just tried all that on my CLA, nothing, windows will not close or open with remote. I know that is how it works on the BMW, sunroof and all. Hope the W205 has it as well, next time I am at the dealers I will try it, less than a month to go for my delivery.
I just tried it on my W205. The key closes the windows, sunroof and the door locks.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM

Porsche Cayenne
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
C300 is the other only single turbo car.
This would make two only single turbo cars, correct?
Correct,C300 is a single turbo however the c400 is a Biturbo. The C400 is shortly being replaced with the C450 which will also be BiTurbo. All of the inline 4 cyclinder engines are single turbo all of the v6 and v8 engines are Biturbo except the 3.5l v6 that is a non aspirated engine which has no turbo.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 PM

CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by puzzled
I just tried it on my W205. The key closes the windows, sunroof and the door locks.
Thanks, that is good news, wonder how many easter eggs there are on the W205, for example on the CLA there is an engineering mode that displays ECU stats and 10 band equalizer, by pressing three buttons at the same time.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 PM

B200T
You need to let go of the lock after you lock the car, then press and hold it again for a few seconds.

to open, do the reverse. If you have a two-stage sunroof, then to open it and the windows to first stage, you hold the open button for a few seconds, to reach second stage, let go and hold again.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 PM

B200T
Make sure you do it at the driver's door. Won't work when generally standing away from the vehicle with the remote.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:40 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Given all of the above, I'm not the target, which is why I returned to a metallic orange, Track Handling Package, 6 speed manual BMW which simply hits a different target just as well as the W205 goes after its own. Better for two brands to have different reasons for being, and with the W205 and most recent BMW car in the 2 Series, they are both getting back on their own tracks.
Oh, let's be honest, Sportstick, you're really not BMW's target anymore, either. Cadillac ATS? Maybe. But we'll see if they con't to offer a manual in any BMW of this generation of 2-series is replaced....

Lexuses sell well. And now every manufacturer is trying to create their own version of one....
Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by alsyli
Oh, let's be honest, Sportstick, you're really not BMW's target anymore, either. Cadillac ATS? Maybe. But we'll see if they con't to offer a manual in any BMW of this generation of 2-series is replaced....

Lexuses sell well. And now every manufacturer is trying to create their own version of one....
I'm not sure if you mean I'm not the target because BMW has softened up to be more Benz-like, or if that's a sly reference to my advancing age!

Both BMW and MB are re-discovering and better targeting their core brand competencies. W205 is a brilliant execution of the MB position. And, until the new 35UP platform shows what BMW realized they needed to fix after going astray with the current 3 and 5, the 2 Series is the actual flagship for their own "rediscovery". Stopwatch times vs. competitors on the track are not the issue; the 2 has been hailed world-wide by a vast array of sources as BMW returning to its roots. For me, now 7 months in, I find it very reminiscent of the spirit of the 2002 and early 3 Series of the 70s.

However, if it's my age, I disagree as BMW and most other auto manufacturers have moved beyond the antiquated marketing analysis of defining customers primarily by demographics. Most now use psychographic segmentation, and within each segment, there exists a distribution of demographic attributes, such as age. On the W204 forum, we had 20-somethings looking for layering on the chrome, wanting the smoothest possible ride and looking askance at anything "sporty". Manufacturers are targeting a mindset more than the age or gender of the body carrying it around.

When the time comes for this 2 to be replaced, I can only hope the rest of their showroom has the same spirit. And, my wife has the same relative feelings for a different set of attributes at MB after this E's days are done. Neither of us is attracted to what the other prefers automotively! A truly mixed marriage!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The W205 from a BMW owners perspective.