C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG Sport Is One Fast Poser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
I wonder what people would think about this car if they had just left AMG out of the name and off the side?

While I am not happy they have diluted the brand, this seems to be a good car. I believe it represents a nice balance between performance, luxury and technology. I am sure that the C63 will be much better, and a more hooligan worthy car. One car does not discount the merits of the other.

As far as looks goes, MB's have moving towards homologous looks for a while now. Dare I say, that looking at the two cars side-by-side, the C450 looks ALMOST better in my eyes.

Aren't these cars both going to be built in the same factory? That's what scare me most, an AMG built in Alabama.

And one last point, those that are pissed that the average consumer will mistake their AMG for a lowly $70 luxury car with twin turbos, active suspension and 4matic, probably needs a priority check.
I bought an AMG because of the level of performance and luxury it provided. Sure the fact that it says AMG adds to the fun and cache, but it wasn't why I bought it.

Sorry for the diversion....
Please return to talking about about a complete piece of chit this car is and that MB might as well burn down the brand.
Excellent points ... If no amg badging it likely would have been welcomed with open arms by all
Old 02-27-2015, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Already shot the mods a message... it would be nice to be able to have a civil discussion about the car without people trying to wreck the thread. It would be different if this were posted over in one of the AMG sections, but it is not.
They only problem with running to the mods is that several of them are members over on the AMG PL and have also voiced their disapproval of the C450 over there....The car is pure poser
Old 02-27-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Excellent points ... If no amg badging it likely would have been welcomed with open arms by all
I would have to agree with that as well. As others have stated the same uproar has been going on with BMWs and with them using the M branding on various models that aren't full M cars.

I'm surprised that no one has gotten up in arms about the C400's coming with AMG wheels and AMG floor mats...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
FWIW, the Beemer M guys are all butt hurt as well about the M Sport moniker being placed on the M235 etc. I just don't get my friend Jimmys vitriol against a car that is clearly not an AMG in every sense of the word other than a few tiny front fender decals. I also don't believe that anyone who buys one is a poseur. Perhaps they like the car? I like the looks of it quite frankly and the fact that it has AWD is the cherry on the sundae. Sure, it doesn't have the " hand built " engine, but so what, they're not saying it does? I don't get the blowback?

Based upon the several recent reviews, the car mags love the car and see it as a more comfortable viable alternative to the C63. Plus you save about $25k to boot. Not a bad thing at all. It's also a strong alternative to the CLA45 AMG, the same car many have also said is not a true AMG. Just wait till some guys start modding these C450s and going into the 11s with that AWD. it's going to happen.
Nobody is saying it is not a good car. It' a benz, of course it is a good car. It is not worthy of wearing an AMG badge and it is a slap in the face to future W205 C63 owners. I don't think anyone will be getting excited over 11 second E/T's, when the C63 will be running 10's with headers adn a tune.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
AMG badges are completely different, still only a genuine AMG will have the badge on the boot lid.
I fint it laughable that someone would think this is offensive.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by jrcart
Nobody is saying it is not a good car. It' a benz, of course it is a good car. It is not worthy of wearing an AMG badge and it is a slap in the face to future W205 C63 owners. I don't think anyone will be getting excited over 11 second E/T's, when the C63 will be running 10's with headers adn a tune.
Jim, would it make you feel better if they just "deleted" the AMG (barely noticeable by the way) on the front fenders?? I've been on the PL too and those guys are making a lot of hay about nothing. Obviously, some "marketing' genius came up with the concept. What I don't get is that IF someone buys the car with the very small AMG badges included stock , they are considered a poseur? Who's doing the posing? Isn't it clearly MB and not the owner?? Its not as if they've badged the whole car and back with AMG badges to dilute the brand? What if Weistec comes OUT with a great tune for it and its putting out 507 HP?? The same guy puts Weistec sticker on the car?? Is he then "posing??"

What if the stock C450 AWD performs as well or BETTER (heaven forbid??) than the CLA/GLA45 AMG models and its quite possible it can or will?? Does that mean the CLA /GLA guys are posing?? There's a whole lot more HP and torque to be had in that lil V-6 in the C450 than there is in that 4 that MB is making just as there's a whole lot more HP to be found in the C63 S as well.

I honestly don't get all the hullabaloo??
Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 250cdi 4matic '13
Jim, would it make you feel better if they just "deleted" the AMG (barely noticeable by the way) on the front fenders??
I don't get why people should feel offended by this c450...it's simply the identical audi S version od the A4,no more no less! Something fast,with a sporty but non that aggressive exterior pack (such as RS4 or C63 AMG) and a nice V6 in the front; this "poser thing" is really funny cause this car isn't going to ruin the AMG Private Lounge Paradise,just accept that in many other countries buying a powerful V6 would be smarter than a V8 (Italy for example)due to craxy taxation system.
Imho good idea to develop a new model between the AMG world and the "normal" one.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim, would it make you feel better if they just "deleted" the AMG (barely noticeable by the way) on the front fenders?? I've been on the PL too and those guys are making a lot of hay about nothing. Obviously, some "marketing' genius came up with the concept. What I don't get is that IF someone buys the car with the very small AMG badges included stock , they are considered a poseur? Who's doing the posing? Isn't it clearly MB and not the owner?? Its not as if they've badged the whole car and back with AMG badges to dilute the brand? What if Weistec comes OUT with a great tune for it and its putting out 507 HP?? The same guy puts Weistec sticker on the car?? Is he then "posing??"

What if the stock C450 AWD performs as well or BETTER (heaven forbid??) than the CLA/GLA45 AMG models and its quite possible it can or will?? Does that mean the CLA /GLA guys are posing?? There's a whole lot more HP and torque to be had in that lil V-6 in the C450 than there is in that 4 that MB is making just as there's a whole lot more HP to be found in the C63 S as well.

You hit the nail on the head, it should most definately not wear AMG badges on any body panel. I don't care if it has AMG wheels, MB has been doing that for 10 plus years. The name "AMG" should not be attatched to this car in any way shape or form. It does not have an AMG engine and therefore it should not be called an AMG.

As for guys overreacting, I think they have a right to be mad as well as concerned. Guys like me can drive any car in the world....and I mean ANY, at any price. I desire a certain level of exclusivity and AMG fit that bill for me. I even liked how most AMG's are not overly flashy cars(with the exception of my SLS lol), I enjoyed how AMG's can fly under the radar. Friends would ask me why don't I buy a Lambo or a Ferrari? I simply didn't want to buy one and my Black Series' are all more rare than just about any F car or Lambo and can spank just about any F car or lambo around a track. I enjoy heading out to Byron and making a 9 second pass in a Mercedes CLK that looks nearly bone stock and watching all the Pony car guys jaws drop. AMG had a nice little niche, high-end, exclusive and near supercar performance in a good looking comfortable package. So yes, I am a little angry that MB/AMG took the sell out route with the poser C450
Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
You hit the nail on the head, it should most definately not wear AMG badges on any body panel. I don't care if it has AMG wheels, MB has been doing that for 10 plus years. The name "AMG" should not be attatched to this car in any way shape or form. It does not have an AMG engine and therefore it should not be called an AMG.

As for guys overreacting, I think they have a right to be mad as well as concerned. Guys like me can drive any car in the world....and I mean ANY, at any price. I desire a certain level of exclusivity and AMG fit that bill for me. I even liked how most AMG's are not overly flashy cars(with the exception of my SLS lol), I enjoyed how AMG's can fly under the radar. Friends would ask me why don't I buy a Lambo or a Ferrari? I simply didn't want to buy one and my Black Series' are all more rare than just about any F car or Lambo and can spank just about any F car or lambo around a track. I enjoy heading out to Byron and making a 9 second pass in a Mercedes CLK that looks nearly bone stock and watching all the Pony car guys jaws drop. AMG had a nice little niche, high-end, exclusive and near supercar performance in a good looking comfortable package. So yes, I am a little angry that MB/AMG took the sell out route with the poser C450

So what are you afraid of?, that your "non poser" cars will diminish in value?
Or that the guy on the block will turn heads with his C450 taking away attention from your stuff?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vic viper
So what are you afraid of?, that your "non poser" cars will diminish in value?
Or that the guy on the block will turn heads with his C450 taking away attention from your stuff?
It will definately diminish the value, however I don't really care too much about car depreciation because 99% of them depreciate, only a fool would be blind to that fact. If I have to get into the reasons then you are obviously not a very intelligent person to begin with and I will be talking way over your head. Go do some homework on luxury branding and come back to me when you have an increased knowledge of the topic at hand so we can have an educated discussion.

I can start you off on a couple good reads since it appears you may be lacking some basic skills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/te...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/16/lux...mes-fendi.html

http://www.inc.com/erik-sherman/luxu...customers.html
Old 02-27-2015, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID

I desire a certain level of exclusivity and AMG fit that bill for me. I even liked how most AMG's are not overly flashy cars(with the exception of my SLS lol), I enjoyed how AMG's can fly under the radar. AMG had a nice little niche, high-end, exclusive and near supercar performance in a good looking comfortable package. So yes, I am a little angry that MB/AMG took the sell out route with the poser C450
Its NOT going to devalue the AMG brand at all. I remember a few years back when all the BMW guys got all angry about the M Sport monikers. Should they have been worried? Absolutely from a price point, NO. BUT from a performance standpoint, absolutely. The M235 in Auto is just a few ticks off the M3/4 cars stock and in the hands of a good driver it could be a real race if the M3/4 guy is caught sleeping. FWIW, the M235 (yes, I know you don't want to hear about BMWs) is BOTH quicker and faster than the more $$ CLA/GLA45 AMG cars and its NOT an M car!! Yes, its also less money.

Here's my point Jim. Audi has been doing this for years with the A/S/RS models (GM as well with the Vette and CTS-V models and now ATS-V ). MB is late to the show, BUT got the idea that we can "brand manage" these units and get buyers who are NOT quite ready for prime time with the "true" AMG models. Its really all about sales and marketing and less about whos faster or more exclusive. I'll bet that at the end of the day that the C400/450 will sell a helluva more than the C63 and therefore, the "true" AMG cars will remain exclusive simply because of their smaller sales numbers.

Here's an interesting factoid: I brand manage my own AMG car(s) by debadging them so that NO ONE knows what they are. I feel like its better to keep em guessing and blow their doors off than to let them know that they're going to get hit by a sledgehammer. I say more go, less show!!

One final thing. Don't discount the C450 at all. Its certainly not a threat to the Wesitec cars you have. BUT, I reckon that as sales numbers increase, more guys will indeed be modding them and I fully expect that "lil V6" to be a real thumper and much more moddable than the 4 in the CLA/GLA cars. I fully expect 500 HP in an AWD car when all is said and done.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its NOT going to devalue the AMG brand at all. I remember a few years back when all the BMW guys got all angry about the M Sport monikers. Should they have been worried? Absolutely from a price point, NO. BUT from a performance standpoint, absolutely. The M235 in Auto is just a few ticks off the M3/4 cars stock and in the hands of a good driver it could be a real race if the M3/4 guy is caught sleeping. FWIW, the M235 (yes, I know you don't want to hear about BMWs) is BOTH quicker and faster than the more $$ CLA/GLA45 AMG cars and its NOT an M car!! Yes, its also less money.

Here's my point Jim. Audi has been doing this for years with the A/S/RS models (GM as well with the Vette and CTS-V models and now ATS-V ). MB is late to the show, BUT got the idea that we can "brand manage" these units and get buyers who are NOT quite ready for prime time with the "true" AMG models. Its really all about sales and marketing and less about whos faster or more exclusive. I'll bet that at the end of the day that the C400/450 will sell a helluva more than the C63 and therefore, the "true" AMG cars will remain exclusive simply because of their smaller sales numbers.

Here's an interesting factoid: I brand manage my own AMG car(s) by debadging them so that NO ONE knows what they are. I feel like its better to keep em guessing and blow their doors off than to let them know that they're going to get hit by a sledgehammer. I say more go, less show!!

One final thing. Don't discount the C450 at all. Its certainly not a threat to the Wesitec cars you have. BUT, I reckon that as sales numbers increase, more guys will indeed be modding them and I fully expect that "lil V6" to be a real thumper and much more moddable than the 4 in the CLA/GLA cars. I fully expect 500 HP in an AWD car when all is said and done.
AMG stands for top of the line performance, the C450 is FAR from a top of the line performer. Hell, the 4 cylinder CLA45 will out run and outbrake a C450. The C450 will most definately tarnish the brand in same way or another. We wil ahve to wait a few years to see how much it tarnishes it.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
It will definately diminish the value, however I don't really care too much about car depreciation because 99% of them depreciate, only a fool would be blind to that fact. If I have to get into the reasons then you are obviously not a very intelligent person to begin with and I will be talking way over your head. Go do some homework on luxury branding and come back to me when you have an increased knowledge of the topic at hand so we can have an educated discussion.

I can start you off on a couple good reads since it appears you may be lacking some basic skills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/te...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/16/lux...mes-fendi.html

http://www.inc.com/erik-sherman/luxu...customers.html

Why yes, please tell me more on how you try to seem larger than life by not stating your own arguments and instead posting links to articles in Forbes.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
AMG stands for top of the line performance, the C450 is FAR from a top of the line performer. Hell, the 4 cylinder CLA45 will out run and outbrake a C450. The C450 will most definately tarnish the brand in same way or another. We wil ahve to wait a few years to see how much it tarnishes it.
I agree. I was not on board with the 2.0 AMGs either but those vehicles were actually built, tested, altered by AMG, and have an AMG engine.
However the C450 is just a C400 that has taken some parts out of the AMG parts bin and an ECU tune.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I agree. I was not on board with the 2.0 AMGs either but those vehicles were actually built, tested, altered by AMG, and have an AMG engine.
However the C450 is just a C400 that has taken some parts out of the AMG parts bin and an ECU tune.
Sorry pal, its a lil (actually a LOT) more than that. The suspension is different as is the interior , steering wheel, seats and the trans/engine tune etc. Read the Motor Trend and RT articles for ALL the changes from the C300/400. It does look like a C63 from all side and why is that a bad thing?? Its NOT just a "tarted up" C class. ALL the car mags REALLY LIKE the car and are NOT all butt hurt about the C450 either!! Do you happen to own a C400 that is feeling a lil dated now that the C450 is here??

Last edited by Newzchspy; 02-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
AMG stands for top of the line performance, the C450 is FAR from a top of the line performer. Hell, the 4 cylinder CLA45 will out run and outbrake a C450. The C450 will most definitely tarnish the brand in same way or another. We wil have to wait a few years to see how much it tarnishes it.
I don't think so JIM, but we'll have to wait for the tests. A 4.6 0-60 is certainly impressive for a lil ole V6. Put it in the wet/ice/snow and it'll be even more impressive.

I can ONLY see it bettering the AMG brand. The C450 guy will aspire to get a C63 S or perhaps an E or S class AMG when he earns a lil more $$.

This is reminding me of the the butt hurt Tesla S P85 guys who are now pissed that there's a D AWD model that is smoking many of the big boys from 0-115.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 02-27-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
They only problem with running to the mods is that several of them are members over on the AMG PL and have also voiced their disapproval of the C450 over there....The car is pure poser
It's not "running to the mods". It also doesn't matter - you're in violation of the board TOS. Harassment, rude posts, trolling... etc.

Do you own a non-AMG W205? Are you considering a non-AMG W205? If not, do you really have any business posting all over here about this?

I personally find nothing appealing about any AMG Mercedes, yet you don't see me coming over to the AMG section and trolling. Think about that.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 02-27-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA 250
Here is a link to the MB press release detailing all the changes, including the brakes. Far more than just a tune and a badge.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...ATIC-FINAL.pdf
Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
It's not "running to the mods". It also doesn't matter - you're in violation of the board TOS. Harassment, rude posts, trolling... etc.

Do you own a non-AMG W205? Are you considering a non-AMG W205? If not, do you really have any business posting all over here about this?

I personally find nothing appealing about any AMG Mercedes, yet you don't see me coming over to the AMG section and trolling. Think about that.

Now this is well stated. I've given up posting the benefits of the C450 for those interested and are users of THIS forum, not the "other one". IMO there are way too many fcking idiots that have migrated over here to do nothing but demean C450 enthusiasts - high and mighty (in their minds) AMG owners attempting to bully the lesser folk who appreciate the ownership potential in this well designed, well engineered and well received (car mags thus far) C series. As for the mods not doing anything about it...they should be ashamed and quite frankly, who gives a rats *** where they post their "concerns" over this car. C450 owners have THIS forum to intelligently discuss the new car but unfortunately it's been over run by people with nothing better to do with their time. Too bad, mods need to wake up. AMG owners with nothing good to say about a car that is....good actually....mind your business please.

Last edited by Mark's M; 02-27-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Sorry pal, its a lil (actually a LOT) more than that. The suspension is different as is the interior , steering wheel, seats and the trans/engine tune etc. Read the Motor Trend and RT articles for ALL the changes from the C300/400. It does look like a C63 from all side and why is that a bad thing?? Its NOT just a "tarted up" C class. ALL the car mags REALLY LIKE the car and are NOT all butt hurt about the C450 either!! Do you happen to own a C400 that is feeling a lil dated now that the C450 is here??
lol, you higlighted the main point of my post then you proceed to disagree, then post stuff that agree with exactly what I said.
Its a C400 with stuff from the AMG parts bin... which includes the suspension and steering wheel, etc.
LMAO

The only thing I wouldn't doubt if I was to that it was made specifically for this vehicle, is the AMG 4matic that it has.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
lol, you higlighted the main point of my post then you proceed to disagree, then post stuff that agree with exactly what I said.
Its a C400 with stuff from the AMG parts bin... which includes the suspension and steering wheel, etc.
LMAO

The only thing I wouldn't doubt if I was to that it was made specifically for this vehicle, is the AMG 4matic that it has.
It's much more than that, BUT carry on prospective C400 owner: https://mbworld.org/forums/null
Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
It's much more than that, BUT carry on prospective C400 owner: https://mbworld.org/forums/null
Like what? How much more? Does it carry an AMG plaque that denotes which technician inserted the ECU in the car?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Like what? How much more? Does it carry an AMG plaque that denotes which technician inserted the ECU in the car?
NO, BUT nor do the "real" AMGs have that ECU plaque as well. The ONLY plaque my AMGs have had is on top of the engine.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...ATIC-FINAL.pdf

Just read the official MB release on the C450 ^^^^^ . Seems to me like we have a lot of butt hurt C400 guys now who can't handle the fact that their car just got AMG-ized.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 02-27-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C250
its all marketing. Cars with the AMG, S and M badge just sell better as it appeals to a certain demographic.

Diluting the AMG brand? Possibly for the average consumer. For car enthusiasts? They can tell the difference from a mile away.

Is this type of branding necessary? I would argue that it is considering that in the last few years MB has had to change their sale model significantly in order to compete with other luxury European brands.

But ask yourselves this. Would you rather see an official AMG sport branded car or some dude driving around in a cla 250 with a fake AMG badge tacked on?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Wunz
its all marketing. Cars with the AMG, S and M badge just sell better as it appeals to a certain demographic.

Diluting the AMG brand? Possibly for the average consumer. For car enthusiasts? They can tell the difference from a mile away.

Is this type of branding necessary? I would argue that it is considering that in the last few years MB has had to change their sale model significantly in order to compete with other luxury European brands.

But ask yourselves this. Would you rather see an official AMG sport branded car or some dude driving around in a cla 250 with a fake AMG badge tacked on?
well, good point, BUT thats what the AMG guys are arguing, even though this is being done by the factory and NOT the consumer/poseur ?? How bad are those guys going to feel when the C450 starts whooping up on the CLA 45s??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG Sport Is One Fast Poser