C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG Sport Is One Fast Poser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
what ever happened to "no engine, no badge"
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by oldman&theC
I totally agree.I don't understand what all the anger and trash talk is about for the C450.If it has what your looking for and is in your price range,what is the problem with what Mercedes calls it?It seems to me much ado about nothing.
I think it has to do with people that use their cars as a "johnson" measuring device. Apparently the C450 looks too big compared to theirs. This can lead to people saying something like I got x" for $65k. Also, it seems that saying your x" is not a real x" makes some people feel better.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I think perhaps the best thing to do is ignore the name and look at the car underneath. It's got a hell of a lot going for it.
+1
Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Nothing wrong with people wanting to maintain exclusivity, aspirational value and specialty in a brand. You get charged for it, after all (badge premium). It's just driving force enthusiasm. Not everyone wants everything they've ever been passionate about taken over by corporate marketing dept mass consumerism pandering. Some things should remain sacred in this day and age of soul sucking monetization at all costs, blah blah.

I get it from the AMG enthusiasts perspective. I don't think any hate the C450 or maybe even what AMG has contributed to spice it up. Just the bean counters and marketers behind the branding idea.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by K-A
Nothing wrong with people wanting to maintain exclusivity, aspirational value and specialty in a brand. You get charged for it, after all (badge premium). It's just driving force enthusiasm. Not everyone wants everything they've ever been passionate about taken over by corporate marketing dept mass consumerism pandering. Some things should remain sacred in this day and age of soul sucking monetization at all costs, blah blah.

I get it from the AMG enthusiasts perspective. I don't think any hate the C450 or maybe even what AMG has contributed to spice it up. Just the bean counters and marketers behind the branding idea.

While I agree with much ^^^^ of what you state! I disagree that the C450 is nothing more than " spiced up." If you look at the specs, the suspension, brakes and trans and suspension control(s) are basically glommed off the C63. It's a 63 in most aspects except for the full sized brakes, AMG HAND BUILT engine and trans. It even looks like a C63 from a distance. Sure, it doesn't have the performance of the C63, but the fact that it's got AWD plus an "S" class interior and softer ride must mean something to most consumers. The various magazines that have tested the car LOVE IT as well. I truly think there's a niche for it. Sure, everyone has a different bar they want to set and for those who want a great looking, good performing car, this may be their E ticket.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
While I agree with much ^^^^ of what you state! I disagree that the C450 is nothing more than " spiced up." If you look at the specs, the suspension, brakes and trans and suspension control(s) are basically glommed off the C63. It's a 63 in most aspects except for the full sized brakes, AMG HAND BUILT engine and trans. It even looks like a C63 from a distance. Sure, it doesn't have the performance of the C63, but the fact that it's got AWD plus an "S" class interior and softer ride must mean something to most consumers. The various magazines that have tested the car LOVE IT as well. I truly think there's a niche for it. Sure, everyone has a different bar they want to set and for those who want a great looking, good performing car, this may be their E ticket.
Question: Does the C450 look (at a distance) any different than a highly spec'ed C400/300/200 with the top trim package? In the UK the top trim package is called AMG Line which the C450 comes with as standard, although the C450 comes with a boot lid spoiler straight off the C63 I think.

Visually I don't think there are many differences?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
The car is spec'ed ideally for a person like me that wants a pleasant interior. Does not like 4 banger engines. Values comfort with premium looks without all the AMG **** & wind. I love AMG engines esp the 5,5 - not the 6.2 but I don't need one. Most AMG models are overpowered for their chassis capability.

I see a nice C450 in my future & it will have a classic Distronic grill & hoodstar.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-05-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Most AMG models are overpowered for their chassis capability
Interesting
Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I wanna see a c400 and a c450 on a dyno

I've seen an 550 ttv8 on a dyno and it produced more than expected

I've seen an e63s on a dyno and it produced more than expected
Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Most AMG models are overpowered for their chassis capability.
That's a bold statement. Love to hear what you are basing this on.

I have driven a lot of AMG/ non-AMG cars in Germany long distance and often near/max speed and couldn't imagine a stranger statement. The cars feel planted on the road, safe and stable even at the edge of their capabilities and if anything I'd say the chassis could handle more power/speed.

This is what these cars are designed for...
Old 03-05-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
As to the appearance, check out this forum where one of our members posted some beautiful photos of a white C450 at Geneva Auto show. Car looks awesome . Has AMG mats, small badges on front fenders and looks like a classed up C63. Front and grill are awesome and rear spoiler tasteful. Hate all you want but it's a gorgeous car!!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Well AMG has its work cut out for it on said chassis'. They have to take them nearly 180 degrees from how MB originally designs them which often lack the balance and tightness of dynamically sporty rides in trade off for a softer and cushier ride. I'd say AMG pretty much tries to maximize the chassis capability by ransacking it as best they can. But I think often the engines do surpass the chassis. People have even said this of the SLS which is an actual AMG chassis.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 AM

2015 C300 Luxury
The car is spec'ed ideally for a person like me that wants a pleasant interior. Does not like 4 banger engines. Values comfort with premium looks without all the AMG **** & wind. I love AMG engines esp the 5,5 - not the 6.2 but I don't need one. Most AMG models are overpowered for their chassis capability.

I see a nice C450 in my future & it will have a classic Distronic grill & hoodstar.
You guys are getting C450's in Luxury (Avantgarde) trim? Nice, that's what I would want.

I bought a C300 because I like the classic styling (S-Class) of the new W205, the sports grille makes it look an entirely different car. I probably would've just gotten a BMW 435 Gran Coupe if I wanted that sports look.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Jinzen
You guys are getting C450's in Luxury (Avantgarde) trim? Nice, that's what I would want.

I bought a C300 because I like the classic styling (S-Class) of the new W205, the sports grille makes it look an entirely different car. I probably would've just gotten a BMW 435 Gran Coupe if I wanted that sports look.
The classic MB front grille and hoodstar had been the subject of ridicule not too long ago in Audi's commercials. It was a cheap shot because by that time, almost all MB trims began to offer the sport design.

I can totally see the classic design regain it's own place some day, now everything is trying to look sporty. But I think it should have its own new twist.

Last edited by dtc100; 03-06-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:12 PM

2015 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by dtc100
The classic MB front grille and hoodstar had been the subject of ridicule not too long ago in Audi's commercials. It was a cheap shot because by that time, almost all MB trims began to offer the sport design.

I can totally see the classic design regain it's own place some day, now everything is trying to look sporty. But I think it should have its own new twist.
The C-Class just doesn't look like a Sports Car. They made it as a smaller S-Class, which definitely not designed to look like a Sports Car.

I like the sports grille on SLK, SL, S-Coupe etc... all the cars that were designed to be sporty.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM

CLA45 AMG
The C-Class just doesn't look like a Sports Car. They made it as a smaller S-Class, which definitely not designed to look like a Sports Car.

I like the sports grille on SLK, SL, S-Coupe etc... all the cars that were designed to be sporty.
I agree, the new C exterior is more classic than the previous gen. The front sport grille does not work with it as well. The sport grille is also a bit too small for the new and bigger body IMO.

Last edited by dtc100; 03-06-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID

I agree, the new C exterior is more classic than the previous gen. The front sport grille does not work with it as well. The sport grille is also a bit too small for the new and bigger body IMO.
The exterior of the new C63 isn't exactly a "sporty" one. I think its an understated elegance in the vehicle with some decent performance and an entre into the world of AMG. AMG engine or not, its a very nice car!! There's two spoilers available, trunk and rear window and specing one out, the price is still less than a loaded CLA45 or the GLA45.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

We have skipped the C400 completely ~ the C400 I drove was a test mule. C450 will be available in Exclusive & Avantgarde trim here I'm informed.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wolfman
That's a bold statement. Love to hear what you are basing this on.

I have driven a lot of AMG/ non-AMG cars in Germany long distance and often near/max speed and couldn't imagine a stranger statement. The cars feel planted on the road, safe and stable even at the edge of their capabilities and if anything I'd say the chassis could handle more power/speed.

This is what these cars are designed for...
Yes ~ on the Autobahn. Anywhere else they can't put their power down, Their handling can't match the power etc.

Jeremy Clarkson put it well. "an out of control axe murderer with headlights." Even the SLS is pathetic on a track. It can't handle it's power. Brakes are pretty good & that's about all. A Porsche with less power will murder any AMG on the track or in the twisties. That's a properly matched chassis.

I'm not talking straight line performance. Anybody can achieve that reasonably.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-06-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 PM

2010 BMW X5
Yes ~ on the Autobahn. Anywhere else they can't put their power down, Their handling can't match the power etc.

Jeremy Clarkson put it well. "an out of control axe murderer with headlights." Even the SLS is pathetic on a track. It can't handle it's power. Brakes are pretty good & that's about all. A Porsche with less power will murder any AMG on the track or in the twisties. That's a properly matched chassis.

I'm not talking straight line performance. Anybody can achieve that reasonably.
Very well put. AMG has always been the hammer and M the scalpel. Part of the reason why I'm hesitant on the new C63 - I'm quite worried about traction and using all that power properly in the Vancouver weather. The C450 AMG solves both those problems - putting out not as much, but still enough power for a non-track driver like me, and applying it to all 4 wheels while keeping the rear-wheel power bias.

I don't care too much for the AMG badge, private lounge or exclusivity factor, or even buy into the "must have a hand built engine" mantra. I suspect a lot of buyers are like me and just want a compact sports sedan that is luxurious, has adequate power, responsive handling and can be daily driven in all weather conditions. This is why the S4 and 335xi have done so well in the market and what Mercedes is hoping to capture. And while I'm not constrained financially, saving $15k compared to a fully loaded C63 is still a great side benefit.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Yes ~ on the Autobahn. Anywhere else they can't put their power down, Their handling can't match the power etc. Jeremy Clarkson put it well. "an out of control axe murderer with headlights." Even the SLS is pathetic on a track. It can't handle it's power. Brakes are pretty good & that's about all. A Porsche with less power will murder any AMG on the track or in the twisties. That's a properly matched chassis. I'm not talking straight line performance. Anybody can achieve that reasonably.
MB's have always been crap on a track and have never been designed to match a Porsche on a track (perhaps recently they have with the AMG GT). That's not new and the history of AMG has always been to built autobahn rockets, not curve carvers.

So when you say that their handling can't match their power and you are referring to the track, I am sure you are correct; on the autobahn, I don't think so. There, the cars handle very well under all conditions I have experienced (can't judge SLS;have never driven it in Germany).
Old 03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Most roads in the world are not like a German Autobahn, I'm not only talking track. Using Porsche as an example, all I am saying is that they build far more balanced cars than AMG. AMG always overpower the chassis capability. They can't even lay the power down. In the words of a SA Auto Magazine scribe recently. "Completely bonkers but sometimes fun. Save your money & buy the standard model"
Old 03-07-2015, 09:54 AM

CLA45 AMG
Most roads in the world are not like a German Autobahn, I'm not only talking track. Using Porsche as an example, all I am saying is that they build far more balanced cars than AMG. AMG always overpower the chassis capability. They can't even lay the power down. In the words of a SA Auto Magazine scribe recently. "Completely bonkers but sometimes fun. Save your money & buy the standard model"
The new GT is said to be far better than the SLS it replaces in terms of matching its chassis with the engine power.

The GLA45 vs. Macan Turbo above also demonstrated the GLA met the Macan in straight line tests, and beat it in figure 8 and cornering.

I think AMG is working to change its image, and had done so quite well this far. The new C63 reviews will tell us if such trend is for real or not.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

The new GT is said to be far better than the SLS it replaces in terms of matching its chassis with the engine power.

The GLA45 vs. Macan Turbo above also demonstrated the GLA met the Macan in straight line tests, and beat it in figure 8 and cornering.

I think AMG is working to change its image, and had done so quite well this far. The new C63 reviews will tell us if such trend is for real or not.
Yes agreed!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Using Porsche as an example, all I am saying is that they build far more balanced cars than AMG. AMG always overpower the chassis capability. They can't even lay the power down. In the words of a SA Auto Magazine scribe recently. "Completely bonkers but sometimes fun. Save your money & buy the standard model"
Well, I don't put much stock into some car mag BS, many of those wish that MB builds a Porsche with a star on it. So far, this is not what AMG customers wanted, and there are plenty of them.
Different cars for a different demographic, even though AMG seems to go after some Porsche sales with its AMG GT. Not sure if this will make huge difference, given that Porsche makes most of its money selling SUV's and Panamera's anyways, not the 911.

I refer to the autobahn simply because a car shows how well it performs north of 140-150mph. So I am referring to real-world performance of the chassis (albeit in Germany), not some car mag... I for one had great experiences with AMG, MB, BMW and Audi's and some scary ones with a Ruf turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG Sport Is One Fast Poser