C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Seat Cover Replacement Done, Question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Seat Cover Replacement Done, Question.

So, like most of us I had to get all the seat covers replaced due to the bleeding issue.

As this point I am only waiting on the rear middle piece underneath the armrest.

While for the most part I am very pleased with the swap I did notice one oddity immediately: there are a few wrinkles.

Driver bottom right

Driver back left shoulder

I went in knowing full well that this was a new process to replace and that the chance for inconsistencies was high (the passenger seat and back seats are perfect). I accepted that, and all-in-all feel that I'd rather have the wrinkles then the bleed.

Is there any simple way to resolve this? Should I bother mentioning it when the last piece is replaced or will I just introduce the risk of making it worse?

Any thoughts / opinions appreciated!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
That looks a bit loose, but I don't think there's much that can be done.

As it was explained to me, the covers are pre-formed and hook into anchor points on the foam backing. There is no room for adjustment at all. The hard part is removing the old hog rings without damaging the foam ... if the foam is damaged the covers won't fit properly. The irregularities you're seeing don't look like they're caused by damaged foam, but rather just the way the cover was formed.

It's a big job and I'm not sure I'd want anyone ripping my car apart a second time for a minor cosmetic issue. If it were me, I'd let the dealer know that the covers are not a perfect fit and have them enter that into the service record. If it gets any worse, they'll have to deal with it again as a warranty issue. It may actually get better as the material softens and settles back around the foam.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 PM

2015 C3004W
Maybe MB should just replace the seats and not just the MBTex.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by puzzled
Maybe MB should just replace the seats and not just the MBTex.
They won't.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by StanNH
That looks a bit loose, but I don't think there's much that can be done.

As it was explained to me, the covers are pre-formed and hook into anchor points on the foam backing. There is no room for adjustment at all. The hard part is removing the old hog rings without damaging the foam ... if the foam is damaged the covers won't fit properly. The irregularities you're seeing don't look like they're caused by damaged foam, but rather just the way the cover was formed.

It's a big job and I'm not sure I'd want anyone ripping my car apart a second time for a minor cosmetic issue. If it were me, I'd let the dealer know that the covers are not a perfect fit and have them enter that into the service record. If it gets any worse, they'll have to deal with it again as a warranty issue. It may actually get better as the material softens and settles back around the foam.
As Stan says the wrinkles may settle as the seat is worn in. Hopefully this is the case.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 AM

2015 C3004W
This issue and MB's resolution is really disappointing to me. I can see a manufacturer purchasing faulty seat material. The solution of recovering the seats as they have done would not be acceptable to me. It is a brand new car. They should put the car in the condition it should have been in when it left the factory. If they cannot do that they should replace the car. They made the car. This shakes my faith in Mercedes.

This has not happened to me but it makes me wonder if this should be my last Mercedes. I am a long time customer but honestly this is a Mickey Mouse solution. What if this happened to an S Class?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Not acceptable fix for a new car. Maybe with a heat gun, the wrinkles may come out.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:05 AM

2015 C 300
I agree this is not an acceptable fix and you should push back. It needs to look factory new. Myself and others have had their seats fixed and they have come back looking near perfect.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM

2015 C300
This has not happened to me but it makes me wonder if this should be my last Mercedes. I am a long time customer but honestly this is a Mickey Mouse solution. What if this happened to an S Class?
I hate the attitude of "what if this happened to a(n) [much more expensive product].

Look, I'm frustrated that my $50k car has this problem, but people with a $100k S would scoff at my poor man's car and view me as a poser.

Of course Mercedes would handle this situation in an S differently, they are literally more valuable to the business.

"You get what you pay for."
Old 03-05-2015, 01:24 PM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by Pracht
I hate the attitude of "what if this happened to a(n) [much more expensive product].

Look, I'm frustrated that my $50k car has this problem, but people with a $100k S would scoff at my poor man's car and view me as a poser.

Of course Mercedes would handle this situation in an S differently, they are literally more valuable to the business.

"You get what you pay for."
I did not mean to add to your frustration and I don't think owning a C class makes anyone a poser. I am not sure Mercedes's response for an S class would be different. The last thing any manufacturer wants to do is replace an automobile. My point was that company's values are it's values for all customers.

My guess is that S isn't Mercedes's bread and butter either. They sell a lot more Es, Cs and Ms. The S gets a lot of customers in the door.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Isn't the C class MB's biggest seller?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
Isn't the C class MB's biggest seller?
In volume yes.

I meant more like 1 S owner with an issues > 1 C owner with an issue so on a case-by-case basis they would treat each S fix with more gentle hands and attention to detail.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by Pracht
In volume yes.

I meant more like 1 S owner with an issues > 1 C owner with an issue so on a case-by-case basis they would treat each S fix with more gentle hands and attention to detail.
I see your point. At the same time, the future of MB depends heavily on its ability to sell cars that cost a lot less than the S. They need to attract younger buyers. What's more, they could not maintain a strong dealer network on just cars in price range of the S.

And word of mouth is word of mouth.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
This issue and MB's resolution is really disappointing to me. I can see a manufacturer purchasing faulty seat material. The solution of recovering the seats as they have done would not be acceptable to me. It is a brand new car. They should put the car in the condition it should have been in when it left the factory. If they cannot do that they should replace the car. They made the car. This shakes my faith in Mercedes.

Why would they replace an otherwise perfect new car with a seat issue rather than just replacing the faulty seat covers? I just don't get some people.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:50 PM

2015 MB C300 4matic
Hey guys, I just picked up my C300 4matic US spec with red leather, last Friday. I'm loving it so far, coming from an 2003 honda civic its night and day. So on the weekend I noticed the back seats have some wrinkles, see pic. I passed by the dealer today and they said to give it some time to settle in. What do you guys think? Only about 100 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails Seat Cover Replacement Done, Question.-dsc_0093.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by DRbenz809
Hey guys, I just picked up my C300 4matic US spec with red leather, last Friday. I'm loving it so far, coming from an 2003 honda civic its night and day. So on the weekend I noticed the back seats have some wrinkles, see pic. I passed by the dealer today and they said to give it some time to settle in. What do you guys think? Only about 100 miles on it.
Mine looks exactly the same- it's fine. Enjoy your new Mercedes!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 PM

C400 4matic AMG Sportline
Originally Posted by DRbenz809
Mine is the same too... Love that color
Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Audi S4
This is exactly why ANY dealer doing seat cover replacement will not be the same as factory-perfect. I would not be happy with this solution at all.

To me, the seats are ruined when Cletus at the dealer breaks out the hog ring pliers and begins to "fix" the issue. Techs who are used to oil changes, software flashes, and tire rotations are certainly not as skilled in interior refurbishment and are mere "parts replacement guys" compared to an auto upholstery shop.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues down the road (prematurely failed seat heaters, prematurely failed stitching, etc.) due to the extra human hands tampering with the covers.

For those who have to go through this, I'm sorry! Shame on Mercedes for not using factory seats as replacements.

Gives you an idea of what is involved:

Last edited by CorradoJr; 04-07-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CorradoJr
This is exactly why ANY dealer doing seat cover replacement will not be the same as factory-perfect. I would not be happy with this solution at all.

To me, the seats are ruined when Cletus at the dealer breaks out the hog ring pliers and begins to "fix" the issue. Techs who are used to oil changes, software flashes, and tire rotations are certainly not as skilled in interior refurbishment and are mere "parts replacement guys" compared to an auto upholstery shop.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues down the road (prematurely failed seat heaters, prematurely failed stitching, etc.) due to the extra human hands tampering with the covers.
Regardless, your choices are to leave the defective material in place, let the dealer do the cover replacement, or sell your car. Since the covers are OEM, I doubt their replacement would result in any additional issues at any time. Mine came out fine, others not as good. MB refuses to do complete seat replacements, so options are very limited if your seats are affected.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 PM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by StanNH
Regardless, your choices are to leave the defective material in place, let the dealer do the cover replacement, or sell your car. Since the covers are OEM, I doubt their replacement would result in any additional issues at any time. Mine came out fine, others not as good. MB refuses to do complete seat replacements, so options are very limited if your seats are affected.
Stan, I feel your pain and understand why you elected to get something else. I could do a replacement engine, a replacement transmission, tires, brakes, etc....but when it comes to the interior, nothing will ever be as perfect as factory.

Wondering how many who got the replacement have more wrinkles now than before. And dealers telling you the wrinkles will "smooth out over time" as straight up BS'ing.