C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

new C300 with Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prius. :(
Still the consensus that c300s made after April 2015 are relatively problem free?
Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by Sheepy
Still the consensus that c300s made after April 2015 are relatively problem free?
As far as I know that's the case. I'd hope it would be.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
As far as I know that's the case. I'd hope it would be.
I think there were a few more minor issues into the beginning of MY2016, but yes, it seems like things got better after that. I happened to be at the bookstore yesterday and glanced at the Consumer Reports Used Car issue. Even with the black circle rating for the 2015 C class, the car STILL got full red dots for the key mechanical components like engine, transmission, etc. The black marks came for noises/leaks, in-car electronics, an average mark for suspension. So the fundamentals of the car are fine. We're looking at some build quality issues on the first year of production.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:43 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
new C300 with Engine noise

Originally Posted by mcbc220
I think there were a few more minor issues into the beginning of MY2016, but yes, it seems like things got better after that. I happened to be at the bookstore yesterday and glanced at the Consumer Reports Used Car issue. Even with the black circle rating for the 2015 C class, the car STILL got full red dots for the key mechanical components like engine, transmission, etc. The black marks came for noises/leaks, in-car electronics, an average mark for suspension. So the fundamentals of the car are fine. We're looking at some build quality issues on the first year of production.
What I don't understand is why they gave the c class a full black circle when the ratings had mostly full red circles, a few half red circles and 1 or 2 black or half black circles. Same kind of thing is going on with the ML (now GLE), GL (now GLS) get worse than average rankings when there's only a couple ratings for the model that are below or way below average. As a result, the brand as whole dosent rank well. Doesn't really seem fair when the Lexus IS shows black circles for engine major and engine minor when it gets old enough for the power train warranty to go out. Props to Audi, Porsche and BMW though for their good performance.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
What I don't understand is why they gave the c class a full black circle when the ratings had mostly full red circles, a few half red circles and 1 or 2 black or half black circles. Same kind of thing is going on with the ML (now GLE), GL (now GLS) get worse than average rankings when there's only a couple ratings for the model that are below or way below average. As a result, the brand as whole dosent rank well. Doesn't really seem fair when the Lexus IS shows black circles for engine major and engine minor when it gets old enough for the power train warranty to go out. Props to Audi, Porsche and BMW though for their good performance.
I think it's relative to all other cars (or other cars in that category, i.e., small premium sedans) for that model year. So if every other sports sedan doesn't have as many problems with those 2 or 3 areas, it doesn't matter if everything else is OK for the 2015 C—it still had MORE reliability problems than its competitors. The data for the ML/GL/CLA/etc indicate that Mercedes is either (1) having a lot of trouble with new model launches or (2) not making cars that are as reliable, again. Time will tell if it's (2) or just (1). I'll say this, I'd rather have a car with electronic problems than one that starts drinking oil.

What I find more telling are the marks from about 2009/10-2014. Past that, and the cars are more likely to be owned by people who are 3rd/4th owners and have spotty service histories. But 2009/10-14 are cars that were either bought or leased and now on their second owner. Mercedes models in general have pretty good reliability through that time period. BMW, Audi, have a lot more black marks.

I started a thread in this forum asking about the A4. Consumer Reports keeps giving Audi full red circles for the new cars, but when you actually see the older models, it seems less like the company is suddenly going toe-to-toe with Toyota, and more like they've figured out how to keep their cars reliable within the warranty period. BMW does this too. If you look at the 3-year data, a 3 series looks like a good bet. But if you were to buy and keep one for 5-7 years, it still turns into a big liability.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:14 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by mcbc220
I think it's relative to all other cars (or other cars in that category, i.e., small premium sedans) for that model year. So if every other sports sedan doesn't have as many problems with those 2 or 3 areas, it doesn't matter if everything else is OK for the 2015 C—it still had MORE reliability problems than its competitors. The data for the ML/GL/CLA/etc indicate that Mercedes is either (1) having a lot of trouble with new model launches or (2) not making cars that are as reliable, again. Time will tell if it's (2) or just (1). I'll say this, I'd rather have a car with electronic problems than one that starts drinking oil.

What I find more telling are the marks from about 2009/10-2014. Past that, and the cars are more likely to be owned by people who are 3rd/4th owners and have spotty service histories. But 2009/10-14 are cars that were either bought or leased and now on their second owner. Mercedes models in general have pretty good reliability through that time period. BMW, Audi, have a lot more black marks.

I started a thread in this forum asking about the A4. Consumer Reports keeps giving Audi full red circles for the new cars, but when you actually see the older models, it seems less like the company is suddenly going toe-to-toe with Toyota, and more like they've figured out how to keep their cars reliable within the warranty period. BMW does this too. If you look at the 3-year data, a 3 series looks like a good bet. But if you were to buy and keep one for 5-7 years, it still turns into a big liability.
Hopefully they all turn out good for the long haul. I agree with you on the electronic s. Over the long haul, they're very minor.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:46 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
I should update my on engine fix experience to give a more balanced view. After a month, the engine ran more efficient than the original without fix. On the freeway I was able to get more consistent 32mpg vs. 29mpg at roughly the same speed. I am feeling much more optimistic about this engine fix. It has been around 5 months since the fix and everything seem to work out pretty well.

I can't say much about long term ownership just yet. I intend to keep this car until it breaks down completely or I get tired of it. What I can say is that if your dealer is good at service department, they can get the job done as intended by Mercedes.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c300
Originally Posted by solarflare
I should update my on engine fix experience to give a more balanced view. After a month, the engine ran more efficient than the original without fix. On the freeway I was able to get more consistent 32mpg vs. 29mpg at roughly the same speed. I am feeling much more optimistic about this engine fix. It has been around 5 months since the fix and everything seem to work out pretty well.

I can't say much about long term ownership just yet. I intend to keep this car until it breaks down completely or I get tired of it. What I can say is that if your dealer is good at service department, they can get the job done as intended by Mercedes.
+1
Old 07-11-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
After the engine repair, the steering wheel was off to the right, and I brought it in to have front toe adjusted.

Today, it's second time in the shop after the rebuild - engine leaking gasoline. I could smell it all over the car. They told me it's the fuel injector and the seal was broken.

I think the work done was not reliable. I hope there will be nothing more, but it seems that it never ends.

21 times in the shop, 53 days out of service in total.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
It's a Lemon after 30 shop days.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Mike5215
It's a Lemon after 30 shop days.
I think according to NY Lemon Law, it also has to satisfy "The defect must substantially impair the value of the vehicle".

And in this case, after the engine repair, it may satisfy...Anyway the corporate is reviewing the case again, hopefully they come back with a refund.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
It's actually a federal law you'd be pursuing a remedy under, but having the engine torn down to the block and rebuilt seems like it would be a substantial impairment to me.
The following users liked this post:
arnold0523 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 01:23 AM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by arnold0523
After the engine repair, the steering wheel was off to the right, and I brought it in to have front toe adjusted.

Today, it's second time in the shop after the rebuild - engine leaking gasoline. I could smell it all over the car. They told me it's the fuel injector and the seal was broken.

I think the work done was not reliable. I hope there will be nothing more, but it seems that it never ends.

21 times in the shop, 53 days out of service in total.
Jesus Christ that's ridiculous. Meanwhile the GLC and everything else is fine. Get one of those if you decide to make a lemon law claim
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
Jesus Christ that's ridiculous. Meanwhile the GLC and everything else is fine. Get one of those if you decide to make a lemon law claim
Yesterday, they decided to buy back my car. So refunds minus usage fee (mileage and time I guess).
I think I am getting a C43 but haven't talked about the numbers yet.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury fully loaded
Originally Posted by gocal73
Warning to anyone owning a W205 C300 built before April 2015: Heed the warnings in this thread. Mine did not have terrible engine noise but when I brought it in for Service A last week I asked them to check the TSB to see if it applies to my car. When they asked what I was hearing, I simply told them there is some ticking noise mostly when cold. I also admitted that I was not sure if this was abnormal or not, as I have nothing to compare it to. I asked them to check into it for themselves and let me know what they think. Two days later the dealer informed me that the pistons need to be replaced.

My advice is that everyone owning a C300 W205 take your car to your dealer with the TSB information and ask them to check it out. I printed this tread and gave it to them. When I dropped the car off, it was evident that they were taking this problem seriously, so something bad must be going on with these engines. If you are leasing, maybe you don't care. However, if you own the car you better care! Consider what replacing the pistons and possibly more due to this problem will cost when the car is off warranty.

BTW, I complained once again about wind noise and they are finally ordering acoustic glass. I also showed them the thread from this site with the German bulletin. Their attitude was much different about the issue this time around. No baloney about "they all do it" this time.

Will be interested in how this all turns out. They did tell me to keep the MB loaner until the work is complete. Looks like 2-4 weeks.

Does anyone know if the engine problem would be cause for a legitimate lemon claim in California?
Just ordered a MY17 C300 fully optioned and wanted to get accoustic glass but can't find it in the dealer's ordering guide. Do you know if it can be ordered?
Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Mavrogenis
Just ordered a MY17 C300 fully optioned and wanted to get accoustic glass but can't find it in the dealer's ordering guide. Do you know if it can be ordered?
Thanks
US market has front acoustic installed by default.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:40 PM

Mercedes Benz C300
Exclamation Same Problem

I bought my MB C300 pre owned back in Decemeber of 2015, 2 weeks later when my mom decided to drive the car she notice a clapping sound coming from the engine when ideling and when it slowed down. She told me to get it checked becuase it didnt sound normal to her and she had mercedes benz all her life. I went down to my dealer and they told me they would look into it. They called me 2 days later to let me know i needed a whole new top protion of the engine at 10,987 miles. They didnt do the repair until 12,375 due to backorder of parts. They call this problem a piston clap and that my car had a severe piston clapping and it caused alot of damage. THIS IS NOT NORMAL and if you have this problem take it back to have them replace it as soon as possible. Now my car ended up being lemon and they are trying to replace it becuase now the car has electrical problems. I hope this helps anyone out on what this problem is.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
The Eve of Destruction

Originally Posted by sgehrig6991
.... They called me 2 days later to let me know i needed a whole new top protion of the engine at 10,987 miles. They didnt do the repair until 12,375 due to backorder of parts. They call this problem a piston clap and that my car had a severe piston clapping and it caused alot of damage. ....
You have provided one answer to a question I have been thinking of asking: What happens when this wrist pin problem goes undetected or is neglected? The piston clapping may have caused alot of damage in your car, but I gather it hadn't damaged the cylinders themselves (yet!).

One other thing: I thought the pistons and everything else connected to the crankshaft (balance shafts, etc.) was "bottom end." "Top end" was the head, camshafts, valves, etc.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:29 AM

2016 C300 4Matic Lux w/ P1, P2, Lighting Package
According to the Russian VIN decoder, the engine serial # is 274920 E0 053768. This is a friend's 2015 C300 and I am trying to determine if it is potentially affected by the wrist pin issue. The vehicle build date is 06/15, so past the April build date when the problem was corrected, but the engine could be from the earlier, defective production batch.

I know that the first three numbers in the serial are the engine type (M274). What do the remaining numbers ...920 E0 053768 signify? Can I identify from these number the plant where the engine was built?

Thanks for any information.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:58 PM
pek

c300
I have a question, how cold does it have to be to for the symptoms to be noticeable? my c300 was built 1/2015, but it doesn't really get cold here (Memphis, TN) and I haven't heard the tapping/clicking noise. I do hear wind(?) noise when the roads are wet, so may ask the dealer about both. And while not a design/manufacturing defect, my 2010 LaCrosse engine self-destructed after about 1100 miles, took over 2 months for Buick to finally auth an engine replacement. Got the c300 because, ironically, MB built a new dealership right in front of the GM dealer I bought the LaCrosse from and didn't seem too interested in selling me a Regal (the Opel-designed/built one). I really miss my old '71 Opel GT, sigh. pek
Old 09-03-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
It's just a business decision

Originally Posted by pek
I have a question, how cold does it have to be to for the symptoms to be noticeable? my c300 was built 1/2015, but it doesn't really get cold here (Memphis, TN) and I haven't heard the tapping/clicking noise. ....
With only two exceptions, all comments in this thread refer to cold starts, not cold weather. Those exceptions refer to thebeginning of cold weather in their respective areas, but the areas are the SFarea and New Orleans. However, almost all of the comments that mention “cold”were written in winter months, in cold climate areas. My own experience was that I first heard the ticking in early Nov., when the mornings in the Boston area were chilly (maybe cold by the standards of the SF area and New Orleans). My C300 was built in 12/14, delivered in 2/15.

What difference does it make whether the weather is cold or warm when the ticking begins? Nobody knows whether these engines will be okay for a normal life if this problem does not arise within a year or two after delivery (let alone the first cold winter). If my car had not had the problem and the repair, I would not keep it beyond the warranty. See my earlier comment below about MBUSA’s attitude toward problems arising after the warranty period. (The EPC is no longer free.)

Originally Posted by gfmohn
There is no chance that MBUSA will compensate owners or extend the warranty. My 2007 C280 (W203) was a member of The Dreaded M272 Balance Shaft class action. (I was notified after I ordered my C300, but before receiving delivery. At the delivery, I said goodbye to my beloved C280. ) The Dreaded M272 Balance Shaft (actually the balance shaft pinion) was a part that failed typically between 60-80,000 miles, well after the warranty period. MBUSA's position was that they owed the owners NOTHING. Repairs ($3,500-$7,000!) were entirely at the expense of the owners. The terms of the class action settlement were so strict that owners who had actually had repairs received very little and those who had not had repairs received nothing. There was NO compensation for loss of value or extended warranty.

I myself lost a sale to a very interested buyer. He wanted to replace his older C-Class with another C-Class, but he was a mechanic who worked on high-end cars. He had access to the Mercedes Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC), and once he checked my car's VIN on it, I never heard from him again. That was actually my first indication that my car was affected. (Actually, anyone can access the EPC, and it's free. But it's difficult for amateurs to use.) I believe I took a $1000 hit on the trade-in value. But there was no way I was going to sell it to an unsuspecting private party and maybe get a call from "Vinnie" at 2 o'clock in the morning a couple years later.

Compare this MBUSA attitude with the actions of the much derided GM when a former landlady of mine got a cracked cylinder head in her Pontiac. GM had already extended the warranty on the head to 100,000 miles, but she had 110,000 miles. GM replaced it free of charge anyway!

Last edited by gfmohn; 09-03-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
Dropped my car off wed night so they could test a cold start to compare to the audio clip. They confirmed the noise was excessive and warranted them doing the full tear down under the tsb. Parts should be here Monday and they said 4-5 days.
They got me driving a 2017 glc300. Compared to my 2015 c300 it doesn't feel as responsive for acceleration. But it rides really nice. It is definitely diff to drive as it has a 9 speed transmission and once u get up to speed over 40 and u let off the gas and are not braking it actually disengages the transmission from the engine. U can watch the revs drop to 800rpm. As soon as u brake or back on the gas it re-engages kinda weird to watch happen. And I'd say is about as quiet as my 15. Space is good in it being 6ft tall I have long legs and keep my seat almost all the way back. And I can still get in the 2nd row. In my car I can't. And impressed with the space behind the 2nd row and storage under the cargo tray.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SoDakBenz
Dropped my car off wed night so they could test a cold start to compare to the audio clip. They confirmed the noise was excessive and warranted them doing the full tear down under the tsb. Parts should be here Monday and they said 4-5 days.
They got me driving a 2017 glc300. Compared to my 2015 c300 it doesn't feel as responsive for acceleration. But it rides really nice. It is definitely diff to drive as it has a 9 speed transmission and once u get up to speed over 40 and u let off the gas and are not braking it actually disengages the transmission from the engine. U can watch the revs drop to 800rpm. As soon as u brake or back on the gas it re-engages kinda weird to watch happen. And I'd say is about as quiet as my 15. Space is good in it being 6ft tall I have long legs and keep my seat almost all the way back. And I can still get in the 2nd row. In my car I can't. And impressed with the space behind the 2nd row and storage under the cargo tray.
interesting, thats funny that it does that since normally when coasting fuel is not being injected to the engine, so pretty efficient as is.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by SoDakBenz
This is the "Glide function" that didn't make it into US w205's, nice to see it included in the GLC.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
This glide function freaked me out at first til I realized what was going on. It still is a better drive than the gla. They had me drive one of those and it had the DCT and when u first take off it feels like your driving a manual transmission with the lag til the second clutch engages

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: new C300 with Engine noise