C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Burmeister Speaker Rattle/Buzzing - Video Recorded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400 2015
Submitted for buy back

Mine is currently being submitted for buyback. They've said they can't fix it.

This, the random creaks and groans in the dash when the vents get stuck in a loop, and the tires going bald at 8k miles have pretty much made sure I won't ever be back.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c300
My dealer just called and said that they resolved the issue in the front speakers by replacing the speakers but the tech is now hearing buzzing in the rear speakers and they will also be replaced. I wonder if they updated the tweeters or if I will just once again be disappointed with false hope. I will keep you guys posted. 🙏
Old 02-09-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 Infiniti G37
Hey, at least your techs acknowledge your buzzing. Mine claim ignorance. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:43 PM

2015 c300
Originally Posted by swagger_jacker
Hey, at least your techs acknowledge your buzzing. Mine claim ignorance. Good luck.
I had to sit in the car with the manager and recreate the issue. 2 other times they said they couldn't reproduce the issue and I was too defeated to care. The engine rebuild issue has breathed new life into my quest to get this car right.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM

C400 2015
Please let us know if that fixes it.

I hope it does fix the problem because this sucks.

Facebook Post
Old 02-09-2016, 04:50 PM

'13 Infiniti G37
I sat in the car with them too. He acknowledged the noise they gave it back 2 days later saying can not reproduce
Old 02-09-2016, 05:32 PM

C400 2015
Cool

I sat in the car with them too. He acknowledged the noise they gave it back 2 days later saying can not reproduce
I put several piano based tracks on an SD card and loaded them into the system. In person the teams tell me at the dealership that they hear it and it's not right, but on my form they wrote

CLIENT STATES ALL FRONT SPEAKERS RATTLE SEE HISTORY. CLIENT STATES FRONT SPEAKERS RATTLE PLEASE SEE PLAY LIST. ANY SONG WITH PIANO.

CONNECT CHARGER, CONNECT SDS, FOUND NO RELATED FAULT CODES. COMPARED TO LIKE MODEL WITH NO RELATED CONCERN FOUND TO HAVE THE SAME AUDIO CHARACTERISTICS.

Would you call a $3-$4k kazoo a 'characteristic?'
Old 02-09-2016, 06:15 PM

'13 Infiniti G37
Hahahaha, sounds about like mine. I didn't have piano tracks or an SD card, but he was blaming my iPod, then the songs, then everything but the car speakers. Then after he heard the noise he looked at me and said " well the music is very loud, maybe don't turn it up so high" I looked at home and told him it shouldn't matter how loud I listen to it. When im driving down the freeway how else do I drown out the wind noise coming from the front windows. He had no response. Lol
Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
Hi guys, I have the same rattling issue. My car is a 2015 C200 with basic sound, ash trim and ambient lighting. The drivers door rattles at 109Hz and the passenger at 269Hz.
It seems that the entire ash part is vibrating on my car, not just the lighting strip. Not that it's a fix but I managed to stop the rattling by inserting a piece of paper between the ash trim and the door plastic (as shown in photo):

Note the pieces of paper left of the speaker and under the light strip.

Hope this helps someone

Last edited by vladarh; 02-10-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
I'm thinking of removing the door panels and filling all the gaps with some kind of foam...
Old 02-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG C63S, Lamborghini Gallardo, 2016, A-class 180
Just make sure the 2 pieces that makes the vibration is bonded to each other.
If its something fitted to the door panel on the inside just use silicone or a glue gun and make sure its not vibrating against each other.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:56 PM

C400 2015
Careful fixing it yourself

Be careful adding foam and paper and things like that. It's exactly what they'll look for to claim you modified it and they won't cover it under warranty.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by vladarh
Hi guys, I have the same rattling issue. My car is a 2015 C200 with basic sound, ash trim and ambient lighting. The drivers door rattles at 109Hz and the passenger at 269Hz.
It seems that the entire ash part is vibrating on my car, not just the lighting strip. Not that it's a fix but I managed to stop the rattling by inserting a piece of paper between the ash trim and the door plastic (as shown in photo):

Note the pieces of paper left of the speaker and under the light strip.

Hope this helps someone

Interesting. Maybe the whole trim piece just needs to be shimmed.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300
Ugh.... I'm starting to notice a buzzing / rattling sound coming from what sounds like the drivers side rear door speakers. Never noticed until recently. It happens only on certain songs at a certain frequency or volume. Very annoying!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
I've had my C450 for 2 months now, (got the dark ash wood trim/burmester speakers) and I noticed that cringeworthy buzzing/rattling noise almost immediately when on a phone call, or listening to talk radio.

I told my dealership about it and honestly haven't had a second to bring it in. But have an appointment made for next week for them to look at it. (car is fantastic other than this!)

In the meantime, I downloaded that app that you can go through the frequency spectrum, and that was extremely helpful in narrowing down where exactly those terrible vibrations are coming from. So, whoever it was that posted that suggestion, thanks a lot!

I noticed around the 230Hz range, I get a bad buzzing sound coming from the passenger-side door, where the seat-positioning buttons are. And if I put my hand on it, the buzzing completely disappears. But I have a feeling where all of those buttons are (over the dark ash trim) that entire panel feels surprisingly flimsy.

And lastly, around the 500Hz range, that's where the buzzing is happening for me in the centre speaker behind the screen. If I press gently on the speaker grill, it also goes away instantly.

Now I've noticed that it's been quite some time since people were initially posting about this issue on here. Has any dealership been successful in completely resolving this problem for them?

And if so, how extensive was the fix?

I obviously want to try to avoid them doing as many trial and error things, if people here know exactly what their dealership did in resolving this.

Thanks so much.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:48 PM

C400 2015
update: they will buy it back

Hey guys, just letting you know that my buyback went down about 2 months ago for essentially the full value of the car, plus my downpayment and all payments made in 17 months, with about 3k deducted for wear and tear since i didn't report the problem officially until about 3000 miles.

I will say that it was good of MBUSA to give me the refund without a lot of grief. The dealership was also very awesome about it.

I decided to apply the check I received into a new body style Tesla Model S. Picking it up Thursday. Woot!

Good luck gang!
The following users liked this post:
Brittnie Jane (10-22-2019)
Old 05-17-2016, 01:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
Good luck with the Tesla, from what I have read in the tesla forums, it's a great car to drive, but has a lot of issues, and the interior quality is so an so.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 AM

'13 Infiniti G37
MFI2015: how did you get them to do a buyback? I have had my car in the shop many times for the same reasons and a lot of reasons at that, and they denied mine. told me it wasn't enough to cause a buyback. I got an attorney to see what i can do.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I had a local sound shop install Hushmat sound deadener over the interior panels of all four doors. (No rattles, but I was re-doing the audio system and replacing front door speakers as well). It fixes a couple of problems.

The speaker uses that inner panel as a baffle (a "baffle" is the piece on the face of a loudspeaker cabinet that the speakers mount to.) By applying Hushmat you're making it more rigid. Since the speaker rapidly exerts force toward and away from the baffle as it's reproducing sound, any "give" in the baffle reduces the efficiency of the speaker.

Hushmat also serves as a barrier to exterior noise, and it gives the doors a nice solid sounding "thud" when you shut them. Hushmat comes in adhesive sheets. You just cut to fit and stick it on there. Any decent audio shop can do it for you was well.

If the "buzz" is being caused by a sympathetic vibration in the trim panel/speaker grille when certain frequencies are being reproduced, and with a metal speaker grille in a wood panel that's a high probability, when the door panel is off for the Hushmat treatment, shoot a bead of silicone around the interior perimeter of the grille where it meets the wood trim.

The speakers themselves have an unusual mount. They're a tri-lobe mount and have three plastic ***** where you'd expect screws, and they snap into receivers on the door mount. If there's any "play", silicone those in there as well.

(Yes, you'll forgo whatever "warranty" there may have been with respect to rattling speakers, but since MB isn't able to fix the rattles anyway, the "warranty" as it pertains specifically to door speaker rattles is useless. Sometimes you just need to say "screw it" and fix it yourself.)

Last edited by Mike5215; 05-17-2016 at 11:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vladarh (05-18-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 04:22 PM

C400 2015
MFI2015: how did you get them to do a buyback? I have had my car in the shop many times for the same reasons and a lot of reasons at that, and they denied mine. told me it wasn't enough to cause a buyback. I got an attorney to see what i can do.
Well, we have a special lemon law in California that gives us a bit more protection than federal. if you've had the car in for at least 3 visits for the same problem or over 30 days in the first 18 months of ownership with no fix the law states that they must return all payments to you. I believe the car has to be destroyed as well. If they fight the buyback request and lose, they also have to pay your attorney fees. Rather than destroy the car, it was more affordable for them to buy it back without a fight and return my payments and downpayment, prorated to the milage of the car when I first reported the issue. For me, this was almost a 100% refund.

Miami probably doesn't have the same consumer protection laws, but there are also federal laws that may apply.

I was very polite and took it to several dealers to give them 4 attempts and 30 days to fix it. I also made sure to get all of this done within 15 months of purchase so that I would have additional pad once I requested a buyback from corporate. Also, the dealership in Van Nuys didn't try to run from it or gaslight me - they acknowledged the problem and even corporate said it couldn't be fixed.

Ultimately this frustrating experience had two happy endings. I got nearly a full refund on the car. That refund was used to buy my new baby.

I will say I'm very happy that Mercedes chose to work with me on it. I've never even heard of someone getting a buyback like that so easily from any car mfg.

Good luck guys!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Florida unfortunately forces binding arbitration. Tougher state to get a buy back, especially if it's about an issue with an accessory versus an actual drive ability issue.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 PM

2015 c300
I just made the most progress so far in reducing the buzzing. After having all tweeters replaced twice, at least one door panel changed out and 7 trips to the dealer I decided to take matters into my own hands. The fix is not perfect and a very slight buzzing can still be appreciated but mine was BAD so I'm ok with a subtle hint of buzzing at an occasional frequency. All it took was a 1"x4" piece of 1/16" black felt rolled up and pressed under the edge of the wood trim piece just below the speaker grills (I bought large sheets of black felt on Amazon)(a butter knife worked fine to wedge the felt but leave a small tab to retrieve the felt if you push it too far, this can be tucked in gently later). I did this with the test track running so I could find the best placement. The felt is not visible at all and the sound is so much better. I may try different thickness felt rolls but for a first attempt I am very happy. I think I might love my car again... Or better yet finally. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Mercedes C250 AMG Premium Plus
Anyone in the UK having any luck with this? Mercedes of Glasgow have tried and failed to fix this 5 times now, the last taking 5 weeks. They asked for an example track to try to fix it, then spoke to technical telling them it's only an issue with this one song, which is obviously not the case. Technical closed the case as, as far as they're concerned, it's only an issue with one song. I've called customer services repeatedly, emailed the ceo, and after numerous back and forths, they always come back with the same answer, ie, it's within tolerances as Mercedes of Glasgow tell them their isn't a fault. They even told them they didn't hear any issue and were merely following process. If they didn't hear the fault, why would they add foam etc to the speakers, replace door trims and speakers?

Last Merc I'll be buying!
Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C400
First time poster, been lurking for a few months now. I bought a 2015 C400 about 3 months ago, and being pretty particular with my audio, I noticed the speaker buzz the first week of ownership. I'm very happy to report they were finally able to completely fix the buzzing. After having their technician look at it and replace one of the speakers, which didn't make any difference, they checked out other C400's they had on the lot and found they all made this noise. The head of the service department put in a technical case to Mercedes and they responded saying there were speaker brackets that could be ordered that fixed this buzzing. Brackets were ordered and installed, now the buzzing is completely gone! I tested it with the frequency generator app (which the technician was impressed by by the way) and I found no buzzing whatsoever. Wanted to let you all know there is a fix available!

FYI, I have the Burmester system, just to clarify.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Originally Posted by gbentley
First time poster, been lurking for a few months now. I bought a 2015 C400 about 3 months ago, and being pretty particular with my audio, I noticed the speaker buzz the first week of ownership. I'm very happy to report they were finally able to completely fix the buzzing. After having their technician look at it and replace one of the speakers, which didn't make any difference, they checked out other C400's they had on the lot and found they all made this noise. The head of the service department put in a technical case to Mercedes and they responded saying there were speaker brackets that could be ordered that fixed this buzzing. Brackets were ordered and installed, now the buzzing is completely gone! I tested it with the frequency generator app (which the technician was impressed by by the way) and I found no buzzing whatsoever. Wanted to let you all know there is a fix available!

FYI, I have the Burmester system, just to clarify.
Wow! Many thanks for this! Can you post the part numbers that they installed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burmeister Speaker Rattle/Buzzing - Video Recorded