C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Auto Park has ruined my wheels :-(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Correct. Expensive is a gradient however and I'd say on a £500 wheel, £100 every time you curb it could become very expensive.
Very true. Also doing it mutiple times lowers the wheel's strength/integrity as you have less metal holding the alloy together. The thin shavings of the diamond cut add up eventually.

Living in the city you have to accept that you will curb the wheel at some point. Personally I would only refurb the wheels if they get into a bad state. Some people do it every few years.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
Very true. Also doing it mutiple times lowers the wheel's strength/integrity as you have less metal holding the alloy together. The thin shavings of the diamond cut add up eventually.

Living in the city you have to accept that you will curb the wheel at some point. Personally I would only refurb the wheels if they get into a bad state. Some people do it every few years.
The worst thing about diamond cut, or polished wheels that are lacquered is the water ingress once they're damaged. I have a couple of tiny dings in my diamond cut 313's on the Z4, I patched them up so you could hardly see them. But 2 years down the road they've spidered due to water getting under the damaged areas. I won't be refurbing them unless they get worse or I keep the car long term.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 AM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
The worst thing about diamond cut, or polished wheels that are lacquered is the water ingress once they're damaged. I have a couple of tiny dings in my diamond cut 313's on the Z4, I patched them up so you could hardly see them. But 2 years down the road they've spidered due to water getting under the damaged areas. I won't be refurbing them unless they get worse or I keep the car long term.
That's so true. I've seen it on all my cars with DC alloys. But DC is all the rage at the moment so I guess we have to live with it or get them powder coated!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:02 AM

2014 BMW 520d xDrive, MB W205 C200 AMG Line
Originally Posted by vic viper
Dont know if the auto park system works differently in the US, but over here we have to engage throttle and brake by ourselves.
I don't have to engage throttle and brake. I can use throttle if i want it to park faster or brake if i want to to park slower, but it will brake and throttle by itself.

How many times have you actually used the feature?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by gfmohn
Got it; it works fine! My thanks to both of you. This is the sort of obscure feature that I might never have gotten to use without the sharing we can do on MBWorld.

There's an old joke that says that if you want to hide something from an American car owner, hide it in his owners manual. Well, I have always read my owners manuals, but I didn't read them cover to cover. Nowadays, no one sits in their car and tries to find all the nested pages of the on-board digital COMAND manual. Nor is this tip in the version of the COMAND manual that I downloaded from the Internet. I looked there and did a digital search. The tip is in the on-board digital COMAND manual only.
I must be dense but I don't follow how this works. I haven't yet figured out how to access the onboard manual.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
On-board digital manuals

Originally Posted by puzzled
I must be dense but I don't follow how this works. I haven't yet figured out how to access the onboard manual.
In your C-Class Owner's Manual, there are many references to the Digital Operator's Manual. General Instructions begin on p. 23 of your Owner's Manual. For most subjects, you start with the Vehicle button on the center console. However, each subject of the COMAND main menu (Radio, Navi, and so on) also has its "____ instructions". When in Vehicle, Radio, Navi, etc., push the controller knob forward. Then turn the controller knob until you find the "____ instructions" (Note: the Digital Operator's Manual is not available while the car is a motion. Maybe that was your problem.)
Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 PM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by gfmohn
In your C-Class Owner's Manual, there are many references to the Digital Operator's Manual. General Instructions begin on p. 23 of your Owner's Manual. For most subjects, you start with the Vehicle button on the center console. However, each subject of the COMAND main menu (Radio, Navi, and so on) also has its "____ instructions". When in Vehicle, Radio, Navi, etc., push the controller knob forward. Then turn the controller knob until you find the "____ instructions" (Note: the Digital Operator's Manual is not available while the car is a motion. Maybe that was your problem.)

Thanks. I will give it a try.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 PM

2015 C3004W
I figured out how get the right side rear view mirror to drop down so I can see the curb. Once I found the instructions in the manual in the car it was easy. It is a good system. I wonder how many owners will ever do that. But thanks to this forum I found it. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 AM

C250 W205 in Polar White
Originally Posted by Seanix
The problem I have with the auto park feature is like everything else with the new C Class that it's all a matter of "Trust" If you can't trust the feature to be 100% reliable, then you DON'T trust it. That is where I am at the moment. The feature worked great for the majority, but it only takes one or two incidents like that for you to lose trust in the feature.
Best advice given was to "brake" as the car is reversing in, which at least controls the speed it enters and lets you monitor incidents that might occur, but when you get to that moment when the rear wheel is in you then need to select "D" for it to go forward and straighten up. That's the point it ground into the gutter damaging front AND rear wheel....

Pics of the damaged wheels.

This is probably the worst as it shows how deep the gouges are
Hey Sean,

Sorry to hear about your curb damaged wheels. I know how it feels man! That is one of my biggest fear of owning a new car and getting those nice and expensive alloy wheels scratched. **Arghhh**

Just point of interest and I'm not sure whether this is true or not (I haven't tried this park assist feature out yet!). However when I was test driving the W205, the salesman said to me when you want to try out the park assist. Make sure the parked cars that you are trying to parallel park in-between. Their wheels DO NOT touch the curb or too close to it! If it does, then your W205 will likely park in the same manner as them, thus will increase the chances of damaging your wheels.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:47 AM

C200d AMG '15
Hi all,

merc couldnt achieve its goal in autonomous parking. Your car should be in the right position before you start auto parking mode, because car start parking accepting his full width, so if you are half parked or closer to the lot, your tires will get scratch. Only the front and back sensors are read, no sides are controlled by sensors which in fact are more important than a bumper of the front car or one on the back.

Cheers all.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Seanix
I've tried the auto park now about 6 times, four of which worked perfectly. The last two however parked too close to the gutter and ground in
heavily and have now ruined my wheels. :-(
I did also notice that the last few auto parks reversed in quicker than normal and was quite scary to sit in the drivers seat and let it do its thing. Scared to use it again now. Pity because it worked amazingly the first few times....

Anyone else having similar issues with auto Park? Do you think it's a car malfunction and mercedes should provide new wheels?
The auto park is pure crap. More often than not it doesn't work correctly. I never use it. If your rims got damaged I would certainly try to have them replaced, but I would be surprised if they did. The autopark portion of the owner's manual is very well "lawyered up". There are multiple warnings and disclaimers written in.