C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Did you know?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by gfmohn
I have seen enough of these posts about this quest for ever "more aggressive driving style" that I am finally curious enough to ask a question. Just what are you guys looking for? Is there something that dialing up Sport+ doesn't do? Despite my previous remark about boyracers, I am not putting you down. I realize not every driver wants the same thing.
No this is a valid question. Not feeling put down

MBs has for awhile now created an adaptable drivetrain for most of its cars. Since the advent of drive by wire, the computer has taken over the control of the engine output, shift points etc. MB uses this control to make cars as smooth and comfortable as possible. That is the luxury side of MB. The adaptability comes to play as the car learns how sporty or how conservatively its driver likes to drive. Theoretically, if you were to drive as aggressive as you can, the car may adjust its various characteristics like shift point, throttle response etc to match your driving. On the other hand if you drive as slow and smooth as possible, the car will adjust accordingly. Many believe that the car needs to adapt to a sporty driving style to maximize its capabilities and thus would like to induce this type of adaptation. Some feel that a "reboot" will allow for a blank slate as opposed to the inadvertent adaptation to everyday stop go driving. It is logical to think that it is easier to erase 'bad' adaptation instead of reversing it. And that's why most resort to doing a reset or relearn.

It isn't clear if it really matters to do this. Whether or not it is based on a driving session, a period of time or cumulative over the life of the car. At extremes people find big changes. I had to do this after a tune as the car became very weird and weak. After resetting, the car's personality was restored.

This is above and beyond the s+ type adjustments you mentioned.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes C W205, Previous: Mercedes ML W164
Hi, this is a trick you guys might already know of.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C300
Originally Posted by MercBenzKing
Hi, this is a trick you guys might already know of.
Mercedes Benz Key Fob Feature Tips and Tricks - YouTube
Mine doesn't seem to work unless you're standing very closing with the infrared side pointing directly at the door's . I've tried standing from a few feet away at various angles, none of it works. Has to be standing very close having it pointed DIRECTLY at the door.

In the video, it seems that's not the case. I have a U.S. spec car, not sure it makes any difference..but thought it was weird. I pretty much given up on it, I never use this feature since its such a PITA.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by nbkvig2
Mine doesn't seem to work unless you're standing very closing with the infrared side pointing directly at the door's . I've tried standing from a few feet away at various angles, none of it works. Has to be standing very close having it pointed DIRECTLY at the door.

In the video, it seems that's not the case. I have a U.S. spec car, not sure it makes any difference..but thought it was weird. I pretty much given up on it, I never use this feature since its such a PITA.
Yes, it is an infrared system (at least in the U.S.). I do have to be standing close to and slightly to the rear of the handle of the driver's door. Somewhere in the C300 manuals, it does say you have to be within six feet. The fob does have to be pointed at the tiny infrared sensor in the handle.

I use it all the time in summer. My 2007 C280 4Matic (see my Signature below) had the same exact system, so I was already familiar with it. My C300 is not garaged, so it builds up a lot of heat. Like my C280, it does not have a sunroof. Still, if I hit the fob a couple steps away, that initial furnace blast of hot, stuffy air has rolled out the open windows by the time I sit down. In my C300, the fob also activates the fan for the ventilated driver's seat. Especially if the seat has been baking in the sun, it has just enough time to push enough hot air out of the seat, so that the seat back is not burning hot when I sit down.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Actually I wonder why we should let any air from outside come in the car ?

Isn't it just more chance to get dirty particules in the car ?

Why not only drive with the recirculation button on ?

Originally Posted by digitallust_aus
Not sure if this has been covered yet, or if its even in the manual... ( I couldn't find it ).

If you are driving with your sunroof/pana roof open or tilted with window/s down in the C and you enter a tunnel where there are vehicle fumes etc. Hold in the recirculation button on the climatic control system..
This will not only close off the outside air from entering your vehicle, but will automatically close your roof and windows..
Once clear of the tunnel/fumes etc, hold the illuminated recirculation button in... it will let fresh air enter from outside as well as returning your sunroof and windows to the same open position that was previously set.
Tried it this afternoon. Pretty nifty.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benzw205
Actually I wonder why we should let any air from outside come in the car ?

Isn't it just more chance to get dirty particules in the car ?

Why not only drive with the recirculation button on ?
Oxygen
Old 01-03-2016, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
That did genuinely make me laugh. Perhaps do a test, tape a bag over your head and see why you'd need fresh air to come in.

(Legal disclaimer, don't do the above, I'm being facetious due to such a silly question)
Old 01-03-2016, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
That did genuinely make me laugh. Perhaps do a test, tape a bag over your head and see why you'd need fresh air to come in.

(Legal disclaimer, don't do the above, I'm being facetious due to such a silly question)
And your discolsure made me laugh because there actually IS a chance someone would do this and then his family will come after... Good thinking.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by cyberorth
And your discolsure made me laugh because there actually IS a chance someone would do this and then his family will come after... Good thinking.
Anyone stupid to try that is on borrowed time anyway.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:14 AM

benzw205
Oxygen...

Originally Posted by cyberorth
Oxygen

Do you really believe that oxygen won't come in anyway ? Are you suffocating when you start the recirculation ?

Weird replies guys...
Old 01-04-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Smile Mercedes knows best

Do you really believe that oxygen won't come in anyway ? Are you suffocating when you start the recirculation ?
Weird replies guys...
MB may think it is a possibility. That may be why MB designs the air recirculation to turn off and to go back to outside air after 10 minutes. More likely, they are concerned about the buildup of moisture.

I once had a girlfriend who bought the same model car that I drove, an '87 Hyundai Excel. The first time I got in her car, it was to drive it. I asked her why she had the driver side window open an inch. She said that if she didn't leave it open, her window fogged. (It was winter, so, of course, she wasn't running the AC.) She then complained about the cold drafts, even though the heater was also on. She also complained that her carpet was always wet. I replied, "That's odd, my car doesn't do that." Then I noticed that the lever for air recirculation was in the recirculate position. I asked her, "How long has this been in this position?" She replied, "I've never touched it; I don't know what it does!"

She had been tracking snow and water into the car all winter. What little water the heater evaporated had nowhere to go, except to condense on the widows. Even if she had run the AC, it might not have helped. In really cold weather, AC doesn't run much. Otherwise, ice will form on the evaporator coils and block the air flow. I explained what air recirculation does, turned it off, and shut the window. The windows cleared up, and she thought I was wonderful.

May you profit from her experience. (And stop questioning every little thing! One of the premium qualities you are buying with the higher price you paid for your Mercedes is that Mercedes has more experience than any other car maker. You will see complaints here and elsewhere that Mercedes has a tendency to give customers what Mercedes thinks the customers need, not necessarily what the customers want. Do not be misled. Mercedes engineers really do know more than you do.)
Old 01-04-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C300 Sport 4matic
I had the pano roof popped up in back this last summer whena sudden storm came up.I can see my carfrom my second story office window.Itwas lightly raining at first so I watched to see if the sunroof would close aspeople have said when water hits the rain sensor in the windshield. Well it didnot close.So I tried to close with mykey fob. Not closing. While I was dicking around with this all of a sudden 50mph winds came up.Now it’s a torrentialdownpour and the rain is going sideways straight into my car back tofront.By the time I ran down the stairsand to the car I had an inch of water in the front seats and my whole dash waswet.

Moral of the story… always test features before. (I did testkey fob feature when I was closer to car and it did work)
Old 01-04-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
just realized this weekend that the passenger side mirror housing is not as deep front to back as the driver side mirror housing, and is smaller overall. is this to better show blind spot on driver side? does anyone know reason? annoys me now that i noticed it lol
Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Porsche 981 CS, C450, 3000GT VR4
Originally Posted by KAMCAD
Itwas lightly raining at first so I watched to see if the sunroof would close aspeople have said when water hits the rain sensor in the windshield. Well it didnot close
So does anyone know if it is true that the panorama sunroof would automatically close if water hits the rain sensor ?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by skullboy
So does anyone know if it is true that the panorama sunroof would automatically close if water hits the rain sensor ?
I just tested mine:
- Ignition on pano roof open ; spray rain sensor - nothing happens
- Lock the car roof open; spray rain sensor - roof closes to the tilted position

So as far as I can tell the roof does indeed close but only partially. I guess they think that the drain can channel away enough of the water if it's tilted open. Not sure if a torrential downpour will close it entirely. I couldn't get it to do so.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Weird replies guys...
Never mind
Old 01-04-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Porsche 981 CS, C450, 3000GT VR4
Originally Posted by DBOC205
I just tested mine:
- Lock the car roof open; spray rain sensor - roof closes to the tilted position

So as far as I can tell the roof does indeed close but only partially. I guess they think that the drain can channel away enough of the water if it's tilted open. Not sure if a torrential downpour will close it entirely. I couldn't get it to do so.
Do you think it will make a difference if you run a water hose instead of spraying on the rain sensor ?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450
Yes, it will make a difference....
Old 01-05-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by Johnathanswift
Yes, it will make a difference....
I guess the car will fill up a lot faster with water if you use a hose
Old 01-05-2016, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 (W205)
Originally Posted by DBOC205
I just tested mine:

It doesn't close completely to ensure there is adequate ventilation - imagine you left the roof open on purpose as you had a dog in the car, and then the roof closed completely. Mercedes don't want to be responsible for what might happen here.

See attached for an extract from the user guide
Old 01-05-2016, 03:31 AM

benzw205
Originally Posted by gfmohn
MB may think it is a possibility. That may be why MB designs the air recirculation to turn off and to go back to outside air after 10 minutes. More likely, they are concerned about the buildup of moisture.

I once had a girlfriend who bought the same model car that I drove, an '87 Hyundai Excel. The first time I got in her car, it was to drive it. I asked her why she had the driver side window open an inch. She said that if she didn't leave it open, her window fogged. (It was winter, so, of course, she wasn't running the AC.) She then complained about the cold drafts, even though the heater was also on. She also complained that her carpet was always wet. I replied, "That's odd, my car doesn't do that." Then I noticed that the lever for air recirculation was in the recirculate position. I asked her, "How long has this been in this position?" She replied, "I've never touched it; I don't know what it does!"

She had been tracking snow and water into the car all winter. What little water the heater evaporated had nowhere to go, except to condense on the widows. Even if she had run the AC, it might not have helped. In really cold weather, AC doesn't run much. Otherwise, ice will form on the evaporator coils and block the air flow. I explained what air recirculation does, turned it off, and shut the window. The windows cleared up, and she thought I was wonderful.

May you profit from her experience. (And stop questioning every little thing! One of the premium qualities you are buying with the higher price you paid for your Mercedes is that Mercedes has more experience than any other car maker. You will see complaints here and elsewhere that Mercedes has a tendency to give customers what Mercedes thinks the customers need, not necessarily what the customers want. Do not be misled. Mercedes engineers really do know more than you do.)

Thank you so much for all details. I didn't know that it would stop after 10 mns.

Also didn't know about the HOLD method (pushing the brake 1 time to stop the car at trafic light).

You are all great, guys !
Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by chames81
It doesn't close completely to ensure there is adequate ventilation - imagine you left the roof open on purpose as you had a dog in the car, and then the roof closed completely. Mercedes don't want to be responsible for what might happen here.

See attached for an extract from the user guide
what app is that? mercedes guides? i'd like to read all the tid-bits about the car

I've also heard that if the pano roof is open and you are highway speeds the rear of the glass lowers a little bit for aerodynamics, no idea if this is true though
Old 01-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C238 E220D 4Matic
I use this app on my iPhone

Last edited by tonynufc; 01-05-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tonynufc
I use this app on my iPhone
found it

Last edited by topsider; 01-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C238 E220D 4Matic
I was trying to upload a screenshot of the MB Guides app but I couldn't get it work

Glad you found it, I find it very useful

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.