C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2015 World Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
I also must add that if you take the number of cars sold vrs. the number of people on this forum it would come out to a small percentage of one percent and not all of that miniscule number have the same problem. I've found, my own consensus, that the majority of people on the forums are pro-active which is also a small percentage of the population.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220d Avantgarde
Originally Posted by Croc
In Australia, c class is selling in greater numbers than 3 and A4 combined.
In Germany the C class also outsells the 3 and the A4.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:45 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Originally Posted by hummerhealey
In Germany the C class also outsells the 3 and the A4.
I was going to say, I was sure C outsells 3 series and A4 here in Oz
Old 04-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
I think you're correct. While the problems being reported on forums are real, they do not represent anything even close to an accurate accounting of the frequency of those problems. So, you can have 2/3 of respondents here saying they have excessive wind noise when, in fact, only 10 or 20% of cars may be brought in for that same issue. A dealer saying, "I've never seen that problem before," may actually be true simply because they haven't.

The other factor you mention is an owner's tolerance level. When I brought my own car in for the MB-Tex "bleeding" issue, the service manager told me they had just gotten in another W205 for routine service. The seats were literally covered in leeching plasticizer ... oily and white. That's not why the car was in the shop ... it was in for routine service only. The dealer had to point out the seat issue and offer to do the TSB repair. I was astounded by this, but the service manager assured me this was quite normal and many drivers were totally oblivious to serious defects in their cars.

So, sure, the problems being discussed here and on other forums are real, but they may not be as common as we think. The two exceptions to that would be the rear bumper fit, which is almost always bad; and the MB-Tex fiasco, which affected a huge number of US built cars in colder climates.
I don't completely agree. I've been in about 17 C300s to date and 15 had honestly more wind noise than my friends 1992 Kia with a broken sunroof. Two we tested had Db over 80. Hearing damage territory. They all had various bumper misalignment. Some had other very visible issues. It's like they're made in some kid's garage and he doesn't fully follow the blueprint.

*The car DESIGN is amazing and award winning. Bravo!
*The quality control and execution the design is a disgusting disaster, especially in the United States.
* MBUSAs handing of the issues is an example how not to do business and class action lawsuit worthy.
* The number of people here who had posted (yourself included) before arrival of the car or problems who quickly had a laundry list of issues is I'd say completely the same as the population not on the boards
* Maybe 10 years ago boards like this were only for people with problems, but except the poorest and richest of the population, most have a computer, and do some due diligence before and after purchase.

i will agree that some people just don't notice the defects, or do, but don't take the time to voice it, they vote with their feet and wallet. Plenty of C300s on the lot considering how cool the design is.

Last edited by kellens; 04-04-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C400
i was on the market for a new car for about 2 years prior to picking up my c400 last year.

when i first saw the leaked pics of it on the internet in December of 2013, i was instantly in love. since then, i had been following every update, every leak, for just about every week until its official release. i even went to the NYIAS last year just to see it in person. i was even more in love after seeing it there. i finally got into a c400 with cranberry/black ash interior in September of 2014.

i hope this doesnt sound TOO cocky, but i feel bad for 3 series drivers (and other drivers in this segment). maybe they should have done their research better before buying, or maybe they just dont have the talent for spotting a winner when they see one. i knew this car was a league ahead of the competition ever since december 2013. the interior has wowed everyone that has ever sat in my car and most people dont know my car is even a "c" class. they think they are sitting in a 100k car. this car is almost TOO good for this segment and needs to be competing with 5 series and cars like that.

you can argue that "its all subjective" but thats only true to an extent. maybe a die heard bmw fan is still happy he got his 3 series, but certain things are opinions, and certain things are facts. fact is, this cars interior, engine choices, options list, are all superior to the competition and that is NOT debatable.

having an eye for winners is one of my best gifts, im glad i do my research and that im not a sheep . now i am proud to say that im driving the 2015 car of the year. it makes me feel like a world champion of the road or something lol.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:14 PM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by kellens
I don't completely agree. I've been in about 17 C300s to date and 15 had honestly more wind noise than my friends 1992 Kia with a broken sunroof. Two we tested had Db over 80. Hearing damage territory. They all had various bumper misalignment. Some had other very visible issues. It's like they're made in some kid's garage and he doesn't fully follow the blueprint.

*The car DESIGN is amazing and award winning. Bravo!
*The quality control and execution the design is a disgusting disaster, especially in the United States.
* MBUSAs handing of the issues is an example how not to do business and class action lawsuit worthy.
* The number of people here who had posted (yourself included) before arrival of the car or problems who quickly had a laundry list of issues is I'd say completely the same as the population not on the boards
* Maybe 10 years ago boards like this were only for people with problems, but except the poorest and richest of the population, most have a computer, and do some due diligence before and after purchase.

i will agree that some people just don't notice the defects, or do, but don't take the time to voice it, they vote with their feet and wallet. Plenty of C300s on the lot considering how cool the design is.
You seem so unhappy with your purchase. I feel for you. Are you going to keep the car?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:00 PM

C300
Originally Posted by puzzled
You seem so unhappy with your purchase. I feel for you. Are you going to keep the car?
Disappointed more than unhappy. If they can get the car to 75% what the design is supposed to be (noise, bumper panel, seat covers, fuel door, a couple other issues) then I'll keep it! As the award shows, it's a great design! So much potential.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:51 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Disappointed more than unhappy. If they can get the car to 75% what the design is supposed to be (noise, bumper panel, seat covers, fuel door, a couple other issues) then I'll keep it! As the award shows, it's a great design! So much potential.
Must just be a US build/Quality Issue.

My car is 10/10, no issues to report in any of those areas.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Took delivery of our C300 Jan. 3, 2015. It came out of Alabama and so far no complaints.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:34 PM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by mikbar2
Took delivery of our C300 Jan. 3, 2015. It came out of Alabama and so far no complaints.
I've had my Alabama assembled C300 since February 23 and I have no complaints either. It is difficult to generalize from anectodal information.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Nice car...wind noise however has ruined my MB experience. I'll be trading it in next year...
Old 04-06-2015, 02:08 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by c400benz
i hope this doesnt sound TOO cocky,...
I think you did sound too cocky

People have different priorities. Despite the nice interior, the new C still is too conservative on the exterior for me. But the most issue I have is it is still not as fun to drive as our 335i, that is after the 335i has gone soft already compared to the old generation 3 series.

Not everyone drive for the interior look and feel, and not all 3 series drivers are sheep.

I will say the new C is heading in the right direction in driving fun, I will give the C450 a try when it is available.

For now, when I don't feel I get enough rush in the 335i, I hop in our CLA45 for the fix.

Last edited by dtc100; 04-06-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 AM

C300
Originally Posted by puzzled
I've had my Alabama assembled C300 since February 23 and I have no complaints either. It is difficult to generalize from anectodal information.
No offense, but whether you or posters from any country "have complaints" have zero to to with build quality assurance of the glaring deficiencies of the first year run. I can guarantee you've got some build issues in your W205 that wouldn't pass other current car builders QA standards, or maybe the eyes and ears of other owners. Some owners might not care, but it doesn't make it anecdotal information.

Last edited by kellens; 04-06-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
No offense, but whether you or posters from any country "have complaints" have zero to to with build quality assurance of the glaring deficiencies of the first year run. I can guarantee you've got some build issues in your W205 that wouldn't pass other current car builders QA standards, or maybe the eyes and ears of other owners. Some owners might not care, but it doesn't make it anecdotal information.
You can always tell when someone is going to offend someone.... they start off saying "no offense"!

TBH I have no axe to grind here, but you really are making some sweeping assumptions about other people's cars (that you don't know) and other forum members ability to spot faults (whom you don't know either). Could it not be true that for every owner that "doesn't care" there may just be owners that are "over picky"?

I get it that you are not over enamoured with your car, that is very sad - but please don't take it out on everyone else.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 AM

C300
Originally Posted by jolt8631
You can always tell when someone is going to offend someone.... they start off saying "no offense"!

TBH I have no axe to grind here, but you really are making some sweeping assumptions about other people's cars (that you don't know) and other forum members ability to spot faults (whom you don't know either). Could it not be true that for every owner that "doesn't care" there may just be owners that are "over picky"?

I get it that you are not over enamoured with your car, that is very sad - but please don't take it out on everyone else.
Just like you can tell people are lying when they say "to be honest", and it sounds like your grinding your axe Not taking it out on anyone. If you choose to overlook issues inherit to the ubiquitous poor QA build of an AMAZING car design, that's on you. To say any of these cars built to date (especially from Vance plant) are 100% 'problem free' requires some level of deception, loss of eyesight or hearing. And only thing sad thing is the ever increasing mantra and mentality that the issue is perception of being 'picky", and not striving for better.

Last edited by kellens; 04-06-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by dtc100
I think you did sound too cocky

People have different priorities. Despite the nice interior, the new C still is too conservative on the exterior for me. But the most issue I have is it is still not as fun to drive as our 335i, that is after the 335i has gone soft already compared to the old generation 3 series.

Not everyone drive for the interior look and feel, and not all 3 series drivers are sheep.

I will say the new C is heading in the right direction in driving fun, I will give the C450 a try when it is available.

For now, when I don't feel I get enough rush in the 335i, I hop in our CLA45 for the fix.
I currently drive a 2013 328i,

Almost bought a w204 in 2009 (ended up with 2010 a4 which was a reliability disaster and is the current model B8 generation model).

but this new w205. i haven't driven it yet, but obviously i've had its 2 main competitors. Whenever i see one drive by , i want one. its just amazing looking, the interior especially feels like its in another entire class better than a 328 or a4.

now i haven't driven the w205, but i've driven the w204 and obviously the 2 cars i've owned. and if its at least as fun to drive as a w204, its definitely more fun than an a4 (an understeery heavy feeling car).

i've been reading on this forum, just doing my research since a w205 or c205 might by my next car. all the little defects and the lack of any fun colors is basically the only thing that makes the w205 look bad right now (mercedes if you are reading this, make south seas blue a W205/c205 color thanks)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:28 AM

C220d Avantgarde
Mercedes is a premium brand, so you can expect the best. So if the car comes with a long list of problems you will be disappointed. Off cause the expectations with a Benz are higher compared to lets say a KIA.

But the noise problem seems to be a problem with cars build outside Europe. On the German car fora one or two owners mention wind noise starting at 120 km/h (75 miles/h). But most say the wind noise only comes noticeable at 160 km/h (100 miles/h) or even 200 km/h (125 miles/h) with the laminated windows.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 AM

C300
Originally Posted by hummerhealey
Mercedes is a premium brand, so you can expect the best. So if the car comes with a long list of problems you will be disappointed. Off cause the expectations with a Benz are higher compared to lets say a KIA.

But the noise problem seems to be a problem with cars build outside Europe. On the German car fora one or two owners mention wind noise starting at 120 km/h (75 miles/h). But most say the wind noise only comes noticeable at 160 km/h (100 miles/h) or even 200 km/h (125 miles/h) with the laminated windows.
Great points. I read the German forums' posts on that wind issue. Interesting they note different build issues, but not as universally the same as here and their support from MB is notably better than MBUSA.

Kia, though not exciting or engineering marvels, are pretty flawlessly built. I'd take an Mercedes made from Asia any day of the week. The "don't be picky" mindset to explain flaws doesn't fly there so much as in the US and UK. Then again, they smoke us in manufacturing, math, science, etc.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 AMG
Now this makes me even happier to finally bought the W205 and sold my BMW F30. So glad!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:27 PM

CRV
I am taking delivery in August. All these quality issues are scaring the hell out of me.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by kkkat
I am taking delivery in August. All these quality issues are scaring the hell out of me.
My first C300 was an August build with a VIN under 3,000. That car had more mileage on it from trips back and forth to the dealer than it did from personal use. It never left me stranded and it did not have any wind noise issues, but every other known defect, recall, and service campaign seemed to be drawn to it like a moth to a flame. The bleeding MB-Tex issue, and an incomplete repair of that issue, was the last straw for me.

The difference for me, and why I didn't just dump the car for another brand, was the support I received from my dealer. Between the dealer and MB-USA, a very fair deal for a new C300 was worked out, and I stayed with the brand and drove off with a new C300 Sport in April.

My new C300 is a March build with a VIN in the 61,000 range. The difference between the two cars is amazing. I have a minor interior trim issue with the new car, but it's so minor I won't even bother with it until I have the car in for service. The car is tight, everything works perfectly, there are no wind noise issues, no squeaks or rattles, no brake noise, and fit and finish are excellent. I still have less than 2,000 miles on it, but I've already seen over 35 mpg on highway runs, with an overall average of 27.3 since I first got the car.

I really think the newer builds have gotten much better, and many of the early issues are being or have been worked out. The design of the car is exceptional, and it outclasses the current versions of its competition.

Is the car totally trouble free? No, it is not ... and I expect its first year reliability ratings to be significantly worse than average, especially given all the early issues that plagued this car. I think finding a competent dealer with a responsive service department is very important. Many of the complaints voiced online are really minor but, when left unresolved, even the smallest glitch can escalate into a major headache.

If there is any real issue with this beautifully designed car, it is in the Customer Service structure. MB-USA, which is the sole basis for my own experience, has a cadre of very polite and understanding representatives who will try ... and usually fail ... to help resolve any issues. There is an almost universal corporate policy of denial, harking back to the good old "they all do that" days. Surely, not every complaint can be the first time MB-USA has ever heard of that particular problem. The lack of any coherent and proactive approach to customer complaints is what generates such a degree of ire among those who have unresolved issues. While this may not be appreciably worse than many other car companies, Mercedes should be a class leader ... and not accept such a mediocre level of customer support.

Let me again stress that a supportive dealer can make all the difference in owner satisfaction and, in my case, MB-USA did finally step up and help put a fair deal together for me. Unfortunately, too many others have not experienced that level of support.

In short, I truly believe your new car will be fine and free of defects. If you have a decent dealer, any issues that might arise should be dealt with quickly and effectively. It is a great car, and one which should be both enjoyable to drive and own.

Last edited by StanNH; 06-05-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 AM

C300
I can' blame you. You have better odds in Vegas.

I'm more a realist than StanNH. The guy is very patient, obviously retired to have all the extreme time and money to put into finishing his first W205 Beta testing project, which it really was, to have to give up the ghost and pay to buy another one. He deserves the good luck on the second one. Sure, you might luck out too and get one that's 'not as bad'. Great design--No doubt. Not yet ready for prime time.

If you can wait, as an owner of one, I'd say wait 2 more years and see how they've changed things. There's enough issues on this one, most that they are alleging 'aren't issues' they will not have it ironed out for 2016.

Last edited by kellens; 06-05-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I'm more a realist than StanNH. The guy is very patient, obviously retired to have all the extreme time and money to put into finishing his first W205 Beta testing project, which it really was, to have to give up the ghost and pay to buy another one. He deserves the good luck on the second one. Sure, you might luck out too and get one that's 'not as bad'. Great design--No doubt. Not yet ready for prime time.
I was not retired and time wasn't the issue. In fact, my dealer picked up my car at my house when it had to be serviced, and left me a brand new Mercedes loaner. When the work was done, they'd return the car, fully detailed, to my door and take back the loaner. At one point they even mailed me a $250 gift card for a local restaurant, as a thank you for my patience. The last time around, they even offered to send up a flat bed so no more mileage would be put on the car. My dealer is a 250 mile round trip, so that was quite an offer.

By the end though, I had pretty much had enough. I did think of that C300 as an unfinished kit car, and was totally disgusted with the build quality.

My outlay for my current C300 was essentially the price difference between the two MSRP's, which I thought was very fair since I was trading in a seven month old car that had no safety or mechanical issues ... and did not qualify for Lemon Law arbitration. The dealer sold my old C300 for what they allowed in trade. If it weren't for this dealer's service, I would not now be driving a Mercedes product. On that first C300, the gap between design and execution was huge.

I am very pleased with my new C300, and I think that the vast majority of new C-Class owners will have cars that they do not have to be afraid of owning. Telling everyone who orders a new W205 that they will own a lemon is not, IMHO, realistic or particularly helpful to them.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 AM

c300
I got mine at the end of April. So far no issues. I think most of the issues here are from early adopters.. maybe Pre January builds?? Are you leasing or Financing?
I wouldn't worry much. Like StanH said... find a good dealer and they will get issues resolved for you.. if any arise.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:54 AM

CRV
Thanks guys. I will wait and see what the car is like. Like many, I was impressed by the design and thought the interior was another league.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 World Car of the Year