C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Engine Shutting Itself Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
Engine Shutting Itself Off

Hey guys, I had this happen to me 3 times now. When idling at the light (just started the car and drove out the parking lot at work), the car would shut itself off. All the warning lights will come on (It's not the Eco feature). I have to restart the car with the push start to reset it. Then it'll work fine. I'm going to have to find a way to film it next time it happens to show the dealer. ODB2 reader doesn't show any codes, and the car display is not showing any error messages. A few occasions I saw the RPM move up slightly and then back down; this happens right before the car engine shuts off.

Wondering if anyone else had this issue? i remember seeing someone else might have had this happen to them before.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
With no codes being thrown, this might be tough to diagnose. My first thought was bad gas. Are you getting gas at the same station all the time? Water or dirt in the gas might do this. If that is the problem, it should resolve itself after a few fresh tanks of gas from a different source.

Other than that, it's just guess work until the car decides to record a system error.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Possibly an earthing/grounding issue?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
Possibly an earthing/grounding issue?
Shouldn't any electrical issue generate a code?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:04 PM

2017 C43
Thanks guys. This has been happening since when I first got the car back in Oct 2014. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I could re-create it. It's weird that it always happened in the same spot. Gonna try to record it next time.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
What's unique about the spot that it happens at?
Old 04-09-2015, 09:47 PM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
What's unique about the spot that it happens at?
Nothing really. I park in the underground by work. I usually start up the car, then drive up the ramp and wait at the light. Maybe I need to let the car warm up more? I dunno...
Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Drive up the ramp... Sounds like fuel issue... The car inclined seems to affect it's fuel delivery
The following users liked this post:
diamondsilver16 (08-03-2019)
Old 04-10-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
Car shouldn't stall/cut out speak with Mercedes
Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C400 2015
So listen to my story.
March 2015 picked brand new C400 Premium + sports Package. About 1000kms in, the car stalls at stop lights. Happened 3 or 4 times. Bring it in...found an error code, changed some parts...take it home.... within one week same thing. the engine just shuts off. All lights come on. Have to put car in park and restart engine. There is no link with the eco/start gizzmo. Tried to turn off, keep it on, engine keeps shutting down after about 2 minutes from start. Bring it back to dealer, this time they keep the car for 2 weeks. They changed some cables ran other tests, I take it back home and after one day on Canada Day, it was like a light show on my dash. All types of warnings pop up and i cant get the car out of first gear. Towed the car in and asked for a new one. In mid July I got my wish. Mercedes replaces the car with an identical car.

So far with my replacement, on 2 occasions the engine stalled at a red light. I have been monitoring for any tells as to what happens if anything before a stall. Happened once while the engine was shut down by the eco/start, and one other time without.
With the previous car, the engine would stall only if the engine was not fully warmed up. With the replacement, both times the engine was warmed up fully.

2 brand new C400's with same issue and i am sure there are many more out there that have not complained.

Clearly there is a defect. I am convinced its a programming issue that Mercedes can't solve.

Cheers folks. What a nightmare
Old 09-23-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
that's crazy! 2 cars in a row with that issue???
Old 09-23-2015, 04:59 PM

C400 2015
I don't know if both cars came from the same production line or batch. Yes same issue but a lot less frequent with 2nd car.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:00 PM

C400 2015
Both are black with red interior with identical packages.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
Hmmm...maybe they just reset the odometer and gave you your old car back.

j/k
Old 09-23-2015, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by JBC400
So listen to my story.
March 2015 picked brand new C400 Premium + sports Package. About 1000kms in, the car stalls at stop lights. Happened 3 or 4 times. Bring it in...found an error code, changed some parts...take it home.... within one week same thing. the engine just shuts off. All lights come on. Have to put car in park and restart engine. There is no link with the eco/start gizzmo. Tried to turn off, keep it on, engine keeps shutting down after about 2 minutes from start. Bring it back to dealer, this time they keep the car for 2 weeks. They changed some cables ran other tests, I take it back home and after one day on Canada Day, it was like a light show on my dash. All types of warnings pop up and i cant get the car out of first gear. Towed the car in and asked for a new one. In mid July I got my wish. Mercedes replaces the car with an identical car.

So far with my replacement, on 2 occasions the engine stalled at a red light. I have been monitoring for any tells as to what happens if anything before a stall. Happened once while the engine was shut down by the eco/start, and one other time without.
With the previous car, the engine would stall only if the engine was not fully warmed up. With the replacement, both times the engine was warmed up fully.

2 brand new C400's with same issue and i am sure there are many more out there that have not complained.

Clearly there is a defect. I am convinced its a programming issue that Mercedes can't solve.

Sounds like a new c450 is the solution. StanH convinced MB to replace his bug laden new C300. Your problem (stalling) is much more serious than any of his multiple issues
Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
So listen to my story.

Truly sucking situation. Unbelievable. Luckily my drivetrain has been flawless.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic
Sounds like a new c450 is the solution. StanH convinced MB to replace his bug laden new C300. Your problem (stalling) is much more serious than any of his multiple issues
Technically, they did not actually replace it. They asked me to order a new car, then took my first C300 in as a trade. The dealer figured the depreciation, and MB-USA and the dealer then made up all but $1500 of that amount with cash and a seven year extended warranty. I felt it was an equitable settlement, engineered primarily by my very supportive dealer.

My new C300 Sport, btw, has been virtually flawless and a pleasure to own and drive.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StanNH
Technically, they did not actually replace it. They asked me to order a new car, then took my first C300 in as a trade. The dealer figured the depreciation, and MB-USA and the dealer then made up all but $1500 of that amount with cash and a seven year extended warranty. I felt it was an equitable settlement, engineered primarily by my very supportive dealer.

My new C300 Sport, btw, has been virtually flawless and a pleasure to own and drive.
Very fair indeed and without the hassles and expense of the Lemon Law. If there more dealers like that car salesmen could improve their bottom cellar reputation.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by pcdsl
Hey guys, I had this happen to me 3 times now. When idling at the light (just started the car and drove out the parking lot at work), the car would shut itself off. All the warning lights will come on (It's not the Eco feature). I have to restart the car with the push start to reset it. Then it'll work fine. I'm going to have to find a way to film it next time it happens to show the dealer. ODB2 reader doesn't show any codes, and the car display is not showing any error messages. A few occasions I saw the RPM move up slightly and then back down; this happens right before the car engine shuts off.

Wondering if anyone else had this issue? i remember seeing someone else might have had this happen to them before.
this sounds like a fuel pump problem
Old 09-27-2015, 10:13 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rakaye47
this sounds like a fuel pump problem
MB replaced my aux transmission pump -- based on error codes. Has not happened since then.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
this just happened to me downtown in traffic, I was in "hold" sport+ and i could feel the engine, almost try to rev.. paid no attention but then after a few stops in traffic, it shut off, dash lit up like a christmas tree and the car was now in Park and parking brake enabled.

I pressed the start/stop to - off, then started it back up.

Was crazy, i hope this doesnt do this when im actually moving otherwise it'd probably kill me
Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 PM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by angeloxnet
this just happened to me downtown in traffic, I was in "hold" sport+ and i could feel the engine, almost try to rev.. paid no attention but then after a few stops in traffic, it shut off, dash lit up like a christmas tree and the car was now in Park and parking brake enabled.

Was crazy, i hope this doesnt do this when im actually moving otherwise it'd probably kill me
Never happened to me while moving, seems like it only happens when you are at a stop and the engine is cold. I get the same almost rev. feeling (rpm goes up 500 then back down), which also is similar to what the engine feels like when ECO is on and the engine is not yet warm. Are you in GTA? we should go complain go Merc Mississauga together to complain. They still don't believe me lol...
Old 10-01-2015, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
Originally Posted by pcdsl
Never happened to me while moving, seems like it only happens when you are at a stop and the engine is cold. I get the same almost rev. feeling (rpm goes up 500 then back down), which also is similar to what the engine feels like when ECO is on and the engine is not yet warm. Are you in GTA? we should go complain go Merc Mississauga together to complain. They still don't believe me lol...
I am, PM me your contact info
Old 10-09-2015, 02:47 PM

2015 W205 C400
Engine shutoff C400

Hi what you had experienced is exactly the Same happened to me ever since I took delivery in September 2014 there were multiple incidences. The shutoff would kickin every approximately every 700 to 1000km, beginning this June appeared more frequently, there were no error code logged. It is October 2015 now and I managed to capture the shutoff on video and the car is now in the shop waiting for the ECU from Germany. Again, no codes had been logged. Luckily I took the advice from the service manager capturing it on video as evidence. I totally lost confidence on this C400. I need to a different car for my family safety.

So listen to my story.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:49 PM

2015 W205 C400
C400 engine shutoff - BC

Hi what you had experienced is exactly the Same happened to me ever since I took delivery in September 2014 there were multiple incidences. The shutoff would kickin every approximately every 700 to 1000km, beginning this June appeared more frequently, there were no error code logged. It is October 2015 now and I managed to capture the shutoff on video and the car is now in the shop waiting for the ECU from Germany. Again, no codes had been logged. Luckily I took the advice from the service manager capturing it on video as evidence. I totally lost confidence on this C400. I need to a different car for my family safety.

Originally Posted by angeloxnet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Shutting Itself Off