C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Does anyone here actually like this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by StanNH
I just found an interesting note about the W205 on an online auto site. According to a report on iseecars.com, the 2015 C-Class has one of the highest first year trade-in rates in the industry at 7.4%. I wonder how much of that reflects MB-Tex settlements.
Interesting numbers.

I've been shopping mine around to see what kind of trade-in prices I can get for my C400...
Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by MASSC300
What am I getting myself into!

My guess is that you're getting yourself into a very positive car ownership experience. All the recalls and service campaigns affected early build cars. Based on my own experience between early and late builds, I'd have to say there is a dramatic difference between the two. I did, in fact, trade in my first C300 after only seven months. I had my fill of recalls and minor fixes, plus the wonderful MB-Tex fiasco. My new C300 is solid and much more satisfying to be in. I really don't think you have much to worry about, especially if you have a good dealer to help if there is any problem.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 EQS 580 Nautical Blue Macchiato interior.
MassC300. Just picked up my c400 from dealer. They had to replace one of the 19" tires. Blew out on a pothole. Have tire/wheel insurance!! Out the door cost was $500. Wheel a bit scratched, but minor from rolling on it until could pull over. Suggest either less low profile tires or the insurance. Still really like the car & find it a joy to drive. On the highway it is super smooth & handles very well. Around town is also very good, but watch out for our many marred New England roads. As stated by several posters... New design, new production facility. Statistically most likely to have problems given the nature of product inception to production & organizational issues. We all would like it to be perfect, but reality is what it is.
I will not be one to turn it in as mechanically I find it to be very well made. The smoothness of the C400s power & road feel meets my expectations! I also like the C300 model & feel it is quite a leap from the last generation. You know what might be, so do your due diligence & communicate with the General Manager of your dealership if you are anxious about taking delivery. Just my dollars worth!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:50 PM

E89 Z4
I've owned three BMW's and, without any question, BMW makes some of the finest engines available in any car. They are efficient, and offer both performance and economy. I lost my love for their steering when they switched to electric from hydraulic assist. The current 3..xi series is very good, but the styling and interior seem somewhat dated at this point. Handling, which used to be class leading, is now still better than average, but that edge seems to have dulled a bit. BMW still offers excellent sedans, but they are no longer the enthusiast's "slam dunk" of cars. Audi's superb A4 is getting very long in the tooth, and due for a revamp in 2016.

The big three German makers all offer solid sedans with different personalities. One comparison review I read many months ago put it best: the W205 may not be the best in any one category, but it does everything well and has no weaknesses. I think that's accurate ... this is a very well rounded and balanced car.
The F30 3-series will get a facelift now and BMW explicitly said they will improve steering feel. About time, many F30s are truly terrible.

My view on the W205 is that they did not fix the floatieness that I perceived in the W204, which would have been the most important fix for me. This is different from steering feel. The other thing that really matters to me is the stereo and I was really excited about the cheap option being Burmeister made. Too bad that it received some royal trashing. I did not go and measure what the W205 Burmeister does, yet.

My interest in the W205 was mainly fueled by wanting the upcoming new CLK convertible or whatever the heck they will call it. But the project is on hold for now. I also want Euro delivery which has issues at least with the Sedan.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura tl
What was the mtex issue and has it been resolved in more recent additions to the c300?
Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 PM

2018 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by OSMS_Carlsson
Hi Madmax, sorry for the delay; we tinted the car with Medium all the way around. There is enough light that come in the windshield and with the pano roof that the cops don't seem to hassle us...knock on wood!

Plus my wife drives the car quite a bit and she hates having the window tint too dark, so Medium all around works.

Jim
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Flyersman
What was the mtex issue and has it been resolved in more recent additions to the c300?
If you search for MB-Tex or "bleeding seats" you'll find many posts and pictures about the issue on this forum.

Basically, the MB-Tex material being used on US production cars was made with an improperly formulated plasticizer ... or softener. At below freezing temperatures, the chemicals would leach out of the vinyl and form an oily coating on the seats and headrests. As the interior of the car warmed up, the chemicals would evaporate leaving behind a white evaporite all over the seats. This cycle, once started, would continue. Many cars were affected, and MB-USA had to issue a TSB which called for the replacement of the seat covers and the headrests. Starting with 1/5/15 production, a new version of MB-Tex was used in the cars and the problem did not reappear. Any MB-Tex car made prior to 1/5/15 is at risk and should be monitored when temperatures fall below freezing. Not every car made before that date had the issue, but it was very widespread.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Did you just call the new C300 an "All Season Tire" ?

I haven't received my ordered C300 yet, but I did researched/test drive a lot of others in the C300's class...Audi A4 (aging design...lower HP), BMW 328i (spartan interior), Lexus IS (AWD only comes with the older 6 sp), Q50 (worst handler of the group)...and I liked the C300 best. I agree though, the C300 wasn't the best in a couple catagories, but overall it was the leader of the pack.

I also agree with this assessment of the C300/400. What's the term I'd use, milquetoast. It's a perfectly good car and does as required. But, if you want W205 excitement, the only vehicle in this class is the new C450. Almost an AMG without an AMG price. Actually, according to many sources and reviews, it's a better car than the CLA /GLA AMG cars and even more enjoyable for non-track use than the C63S . Probably the best C Class made to this point.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I also agree with this assessment of the C300/400. What's the term I'd use, milquetoast. It's a perfectly good car and does as required. But, if you want W205 excitement, the only vehicle in this class is the new C450. Almost an AMG without an AMG price. Actually, according to many sources and reviews, it's a better car than the CLA /GLA AMG cars and even more enjoyable for non-track use than the C63S . Probably the best C Class made to this point.
Is it in production yet, and have production cars been tested?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 AM

C400
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Let's not take this thread down that road again....
Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
I'm only 2300 miles into the car, but my C400 has been fantastic. The power delivery is great, the ride is smooth, the features all work, and it all looks amazing while doing these things. It's a really nice place to be while behind the wheel, and my wife and kids like riding along in the car. It's far more efficient than I thought it would be (coming from a 300hp 4cyl VW to the 330hp V6 MB, it was one of my big concerns, but they're very similar in terms of MPG actually), and it still has the ability to really get up and go when you put it in sport plus. If I have an issue, it's the creaks that can come from the display on the center console. It seems to be very susceptible to heat/cold cycle expansion. Other than that, it's been a very enjoyable car. I guess time will tell in the end, and 3.5 years from now, I might be chomping at the bit to trade it in for my next lease. Hopefully that will be an AMG.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by ranord

Still really like the car & find it a joy to drive. On the highway it is super smooth & handles very well. Around town is also very good...I will not be one to turn it in as mechanically I find it to be very well made.
Thanks for your input ranord!

My fear is after a year or so I start thinking my C300 is just a glorified Camry...but without the reliablility Toyota is known for.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
I like the car...but don't love it!! Replaced door seals/window seals and still have wind noise. Replaced rear window controls after they stopped working...power steering malfunction which required a software update. I've only had the car for 7 months...I will trade it in...buyers remorse has already set in. And the MB commercial calls it the "car of your dreams"...it's been more like a nightmare!!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
As someone that has been patiently waiting for a C450, this thread is pretty depressing.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nvestr
As someone that has been patiently waiting for a C450, this thread is pretty depressing.
It shouldn't be. This is an exceptional car, in spite of all the complaints being voiced here. In some ways, this forum has become the focal point of every issue that's ever been reported for this car. It is being subjected to intense scrutiny and very vocal complaints if anything is found to be amiss.

There were plenty of early build issues, and way too many recalls and service campaigns that affected those builds. Although wind noise issues and poor rear bumper cover alignment are still issues on some cars, I truly believe the bulk are now being produced with much better quality control than early builds.

The odds of you getting a well built and satisfying car are high, so don't let all this venting get you down.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Is it in production yet, and have production cars been tested?
Yes, they are in production overseas and will be here July-August-ish!! Look for CD or MT reviews of the C63 and there's a side bar test of the C450 AMG SPORT and ALL of the reviews were positive, more so than the C63 being tested.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
The odds of you getting a well built and satisfying car are high, so don't let all this venting get you down.
I agree. I really like my car but it's the customer service side that is a total let down.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
It shouldn't be. This is an exceptional car, in spite of all the complaints being voiced here. In some ways, this forum has become the focal point of every issue that's ever been reported for this car. It is being subjected to intense scrutiny and very vocal complaints if anything is found to be amiss.

There were plenty of early build issues, and way too many recalls and service campaigns that affected those builds. Although wind noise issues and poor rear bumper cover alignment are still issues on some cars, I truly believe the bulk are now being produced with much better quality control than early builds.

It's a nice car but I would not say exceptional.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by ManiacGT

It's a nice car but I would not say exceptional.
Can I ask what would it take to make your new car "exceptional"?

30 extra hp? All the glitches fixed? Improved handling?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
I like the car...but don't love it!! Replaced door seals/window seals and still have wind noise. Replaced rear window controls after they stopped working...power steering malfunction which required a software update. I've only had the car for 7 months...I will trade it in...buyers remorse has already set in. And the MB commercial calls it the "car of your dreams"...it's been more like a nightmare!!
Hopefully, the NEW C Class (C450 AMG SPORT) will have a LOT of the creaking/squeaking and MB TEX issues totally resolved before going to production. I have the feeling its going to be a BIG hit for MB.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Can I ask what would it take to make your new car "exceptional"?

30 extra hp? All the glitches fixed? Improved handling?

Close to 40 HP more and retuned engine ECM and trans too. Suspension basically right off the C63 S and with AWD,(4 Matic) its going to offer all season driveability, something that the C63 and others do NOT.

Yes, the mags all say much improved handling and power compared to the C300/400. 40 HP and a retuned trans is a LOT in a C CLass car.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:06 PM

2023 AMG E53
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
Interesting numbers.

I've been shopping mine around to see what kind of trade-in prices I can get for my C400...
I traded in a 2015 C400 with 1600 miles - lost my shirt. I loved the car, but I was annoyed with all the warranty issues, and was particularly disappointed to discover that the MB-Tex issue impacted those of us with leather, since there is some MB-Tex used on the seatbacks, etc. Honestly, it was the LED doorhandles that set me over the edge. I realized that although I reported the problem back n November, it was late April, and two more were dead and awaiting parts. The car is still gorgeous, and I'll still buy another Mercedes, but most likely I'll be going back to an E class. My C207 coupe was flawless. I took delivery of a 2015 BMW X6 35i two weeks ago, and I love it. It's a very different car, and quite a bit more expensive than the entry level C class. And, as I have always maintained, iDrive is 10 years ahead of Comand, and there are a bunch of web apps that enable one to stream audio from Pandora etc. using one's existing data plan.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 PM

C400
Originally Posted by bostonc400
I traded in a 2015 C400 with 1600 miles - lost my shirt. I loved the car, but I was annoyed with all the warranty issues, and was particularly disappointed to discover that the MB-Tex issue impacted those of us with leather, since there is some MB-Tex used on the seatbacks, etc. Honestly, it was the LED doorhandles that set me over the edge. I realized that although I reported the problem back n November, it was late April, and two more were dead and awaiting parts. The car is still gorgeous, and I'll still buy another Mercedes, but most likely I'll be going back to an E class. My C207 coupe was flawless. I took delivery of a 2015 BMW X6 35i two weeks ago, and I love it. It's a very different car, and quite a bit more expensive than the entry level C class. And, as I have always maintained, iDrive is 10 years ahead of Comand, and there are a bunch of web apps that enable one to stream audio from Pandora etc. using one's existing data plan.

I'd be curious to know what you got on the trade-in. I've got an offer for $43k currently. Mine has about 4,200 miles on it.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 PM

c300
It seems that most of the issues are with early builds?? My car was built mid February and so far I have no issues. Knock on wood. It also seems that a lot of the issues could have been better handled by the dealers and even Mercedes.
It's a first year model. So I did expect some issues. But what I'm reading here is overwhelming. I have to admit. I'm pretty happy I went for a 3 years lease..
Old 05-20-2015, 10:36 PM

C 300 2015
Hey everyone! I've had my 2015 C 300 for a few months now, about 3k miles.... The interior started off solid, a significant upgrade from my 2013 c class.. But, then it started, the popping, the crackling, the ticks and tocks. Almost every part of the interior makes a noise at some point, the dash trim, the air vents, the seat belt adjuster, the center console, the arm rest, the doors, the mirror, the back window panel, the roof! it's like a bad symphony and so very annoying. As the weather gets warmer it's definitely getting worse. Now, on rough roads, the ride is still smooth, but the interior plastics pop and snap, making it feel rough and actually kinda cheap. The buttons are not soft touch and crackle if touched too hard. I love the car, but I find this to be unacceptable and I'm not sure how MB gets away with it... I'm taking it in next week to state my case,,, there are a couple other bugs in the car too... Anyone else going loco over this? Needed to vent, thanks for reading! :-/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here actually like this car?