C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Does anyone here actually like this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
trolling on my own forum? LOL...........you asked if anyone likes it: lol
Old 05-23-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 AMG E53
Originally Posted by amp512
Laz: I haven't brought my car back to dealership to have them address some of these issues yet but planning to do that in next week or two. I am sure next winter I would have to go through bleeding seats since I have August 2014 build date in addition to everything else. Are all Mercedes models suffer from these quality issues all the time? Btw, the very first time yesterday I didn't notice the low grinding fan noise I usually get every morning for first 7-10 minutes of driving so that was a change. But I have to revise my accuracy number for keyless-entry, couple night ago I said it works 90% but it is more like 80%. Actually I just realized last night that I don't have working rear passenger side door handle LED and when you look at the front and rear driver side doors, rear door handle LED is considerably brighter than front.
Mine was an August build. I can say with certainty that your driver's door LED is on its way out. They dim before they stop working. I had 3 out of 4 fail.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by amp512
But I have to revise my accuracy number for keyless-entry, couple night ago I said it works 90% but it is more like 80%.
On my new C300, I was getting perfect function on Keyless Go ... until this week. Twice this week it failed to recognize the unlock door function. Once it opened by pushing the unlock on the key fob, the other time it didn't and reset itself after a minute.

I've been told that a manual start of the car, with the key inserted, will reset the fob functions ... so I just did that and will see if it helps.

Last edited by StanNH; 05-23-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:26 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by laz81
It seems that most of the issues are with early builds?? My car was built mid February and so far I have no issues. Knock on wood. It also seems that a lot of the issues could have been better handled by the dealers and even Mercedes.
It's a first year model. So I did expect some issues. But what I'm reading here is overwhelming. I have to admit. I'm pretty happy I went for a 3 years lease..
I'm the kind who would normally jump on the latest and greatest !? Had one of the first W204's here in Jersey when they came out in the Fall of 2007 and was gonna jump on the W205's also however I guess with age also came some wisdom thus I actually held back my temptation !!

Perhaps late this summer when the 2016's and more of the bugs are kinked out I'll visit my Benz dealer. He's only been calling me like every other week haaaa !!!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 PM

c300
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
I'm the kind who would normally jump on the latest and greatest !? Had one of the first W204's here in Jersey when they came out in the Fall of 2007 and was gonna jump on the W205's also however I guess with age also came some wisdom thus I actually held back my temptation !!

Perhaps late this summer when the 2016's and more of the bugs are kinked out I'll visit my Benz dealer. He's only been calling me like every other week haaaa !!!
2016 is definitely the smarter route. They should be out within the next few months anyways. if i was you i would wait.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Where else can you find a new car with the "design characteristic" of window open level wind noise without even cracking a window open? Another Mercedes first!

The quietest, my a$$. My 17 year old BMW with 220K has a quieter cabin.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
I am not liking it. I have a loaner car which I have been driving for a few days and the car is similarly equipped to my 09 c300. Loaner car is c300 4matic as well. I find the seats not comfortable and a little wide compared to the old version. The center console has become wider that the knee room became a little cramped. The car steering feel got really numb. Doors does not sound like a german car anymore when you close it. I think the loaner car has the sports package. The car seems to bounce more as to what others have been complaining about. The gloss finish of the center console is somewhat too much. I would prefer the open pore trim. The most important is the exterior change. I HATE IT! The old version looks like a precision tool were as the new one looks like a baseball bat. The glossy buttons looks cheap to me compared to the matte finish of the old version.

Things I like about it. The engine is peppier on the low end and dies down a little bit on the higher rpm not like the old 3 liter V6 that loves to be pushed on the higher RPMs. The design is miles ahead from pre-facelift version but I find the old version to be simplier to look at and more classy but maybe it really has not grown on me yet. It has a little more room on the rear seats. I like the big screen but not how it is mounted on the dash. The command reminds me of BMW's interface. Gas consumption is also a big plus.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 05-26-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 AM

W204 C200
Not be rude but when you put both interior pictures next to each-other it becomes very clear how 'outdated' the old (PFL) interior is compared to the new, especially design wise. It really looks like an 90's interior compared to the w205.

I do agree however that the black glossy plastic is such a bad material choice for a default trim, put in the ash wood trim and it looks spectacular in my opinion. It changes how the interior feels completely, which is remarkable for trim choice.

Exterior is a tricky one, I like both but would say that w205 follows the present trend of rounding up the shapes compared to the squary feel of older models.
It still looks far better than anything else in it's segment.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:44 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I got this car thinking I'd pay it off and keep it for as long as possible. Having lived with it, as comfortable, luxurious and stylish as is, it's quite a boring and unpredictable drivetrain and this will likely mean I'll hand it back at year 2 or 3. Plus today it's developed a creak from the centre console wood trim/vents (which creaks and ticks badly, like polystyrene when pressed by a finger). Good job I got a huge discount.

Really glad I didn't part ex the BMW as originally planned as I love that car.
Mines got the creak in the centre console as well.. but I notice when I push hard on the console the creaking stops.. how long has yours been doing it for?
Have you had it looked at yet
Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by Treebark
Not be rude but when you put both interior pictures next to each-other it becomes very clear how 'outdated' the old (PFL) interior is compared to the new, especially design wise. It really looks like an 90's interior compared to the w205.

I do agree however that the black glossy plastic is such a bad material choice for a default trim, put in the ash wood trim and it looks spectacular in my opinion. It changes how the interior feels completely, which is remarkable for trim choice.

Exterior is a tricky one, I like both but would say that w205 follows the present trend of rounding up the shapes compared to the squary feel of older models.
It still looks far better than anything else in it's segment.
No worries no hard feelings taken. It is just the old interior is so direct to the point and everything is in place compared to where the buttons are. I literally took a long time finding the volume button as the input selection is on the center dash and why on earth does the power located besides the funny track pad which is somehow hidden in view depending how you sit on the car.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by digitallust_aus
Mines got the creak in the centre console as well.. but I notice when I push hard on the console the creaking stops.. how long has yours been doing it for?
Have you had it looked at yet
I've not had it looked at. I don't want them taking things apart and making it worse. Its all about material expansion. Different materials, different expansion potentials dependent on heat/environment. Essentially they should use different materials to stop this, but then they also have to think about price and weight etc. I find that once the car has warmed up, just jiggle the satin vents a bit which makes it all settle down again and the noise is almost gone. There is no noise at all until you press a button etc.

I just find the lack of attention to detail like this annoying as if they knew this would happen (and they should) then they should take steps to minimise it.

I have just the same issue with the ventilation controls on my BMW e89 (2009).

Pressing any of the rings around the ventilation controls makes a heck of a squeaky creaking noise, just like that on the S205.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Maniac, I like the interior on that BMW. It's a shame that IMO the 3 series doesn't look as good...
Old 05-27-2015, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
Maniac, I like the interior on that BMW. It's a shame that IMO the 3 series doesn't look as good...
That's actually a stock shot I took from the internet. My actual car is below. I agree about the interior and its why I own an S205 now rather than a new 3 series tourer. I think once BMW get their game back on a 3 series interior, likely years from now, that's what I'll have next as they simply drive better than Mercedes IMHO. I miss the BMW feeling. I never felt it particularly special in driving dynamics until I've lived with the Mercedes for a while.

That's not to say the s205 is poor, on the contrary, its a very lovely car, but just doesn't have the driving dynamics BMW build into their cars, which is something that appeals to me.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM

That really looks lovely. I'm really considering the LCI 340i as my next ride. It's that or the C450 but that doesn't hit our shores until late next year and I don't think I can wait that long...

BMW only need to do a few things to bring the interior up to MB's level, such as changing the switchgear, leather on the dash as standard, and then you're pretty much there... I'll probably get a few M Performance parts to make it look a bit like this (without the stripe though):

Does anyone here actually like this car?-2013-bmw-3-series-m-performance-628_zps3a88520b.jpg
Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Personally I find the 3 series interior (and therefore the 4) in-cohesive and fussy. Certain elements don't line up properly and it just makes it look messy. Plus that nasty plastic they use around the gear shift, that's ultra naff. They should look to the 6 series and use that as a template for the 3/4 series cars as the 6 series has a much nicer, more cohesively designed interior.

This is the 6, still a touch fussy, but simpler overall than the 3 series;

vs this mess;

Last edited by ManiacGT; 05-27-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 AM

Fair point Maniac. I saw that on the 3 series in the showroom and I agree that it looked a bit dated and out of sync with the interior. Fortunately they have changed the dash material to be piano black on the LCI so it isn't the naff plastic - but the area around the gear lever remains unchanged.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM

BMW 325 Touring; S-205 C180
I'm looking to replace my current BMW 325. After 4 BMW's I'm as amazed as anyone that I'm even considering a Merc. I've hung onto it for too long, though, and it's now 8 years old.

However, I'm tired of BMW. What really swung me was how fresh the W205 both feels to drive, but also how it looks. Both inside and outside.

I've kicked the ball over to my local dealer, in regards to buying dealer demo-car, an August 2014 manufactured C180. The more I read on this forum the more uncertain I get though :-/

I still like it though, the only deal-breaker now is price. I will later on have to worry about going from a silky smooth 3.0 litre down to a golf cart engine (aka 1,6 156HP).
Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 AM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
Bwah...I am waiting for my estate C which is suposed to be built last week of June. Hopefully it will be worry free ownership!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Just like to say the below is 100% personal opinion - and I think W205 owners are smart to purchase and drive such a nice car - but one thing bugs me about it...

The W205 interior is crazy overrated.

In my experience the interior of the pre-facelift W204 was lacking big time, but facelift - to call that a 90s-style interior - I can't agree with it. Maybe 2000s but not that far back. Big improvements in facelift interior. In terms of truly being "intuitive" - W204 blows away the initially confusing W205 interior. Obviously when you own one you'll get used to it, so this is a moot point.

In the W205, the iPad style screen looks like garbage. Deal-breaker for me. Center console is wider and definitely more cramped feeling than W204 (I am 6' tall, so not a giant) - but the seats are nicer. And don't get me started on the steering column mounted shifter. Come on now.

I do like how the cupholders are concealed in the W205, the stitching throughout and the nicer wood and trim materials. But to say that these things "elevate" the W205 above other cars in its class interior wise I think is a stretch. You can find similar interior features in a Chrysler 200 nowadays.

Exterior-wise the W205 is beautiful, even if a little soft looking. Lowering it a tiny bit could help a lot there. But even before I'd consider I'd wait for a facelift that solves the above issues.

If you just purchased a W205, congrats - and I hope you enjoy it! Sure you will not regret the purchase, and look forward to reading more about owners' experiences as I figure out what my next MB choice will be, in a couple of years.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
Just like to say the below is 100% personal opinion - and I think W205 owners are smart to purchase and drive such a nice car - but one thing bugs me about it...

The W205 interior is crazy overrated.

In my experience the interior of the pre-facelift W204 was lacking big time, but facelift - to call that a 90s-style interior - I can't agree with it. Maybe 2000s but not that far back. Big improvements in facelift interior. In terms of truly being "intuitive" - W204 blows away the initially confusing W205 interior. Obviously when you own one you'll get used to it, so this is a moot point.

In the W205, the iPad style screen looks like garbage. Deal-breaker for me. Center console is wider and definitely more cramped feeling than W204 (I am 6' tall, so not a giant) - but the seats are nicer. And don't get me started on the steering column mounted shifter. Come on now.

I do like how the cupholders are concealed in the W205, the stitching throughout and the nicer wood and trim materials. But to say that these things "elevate" the W205 above other cars in its class interior wise I think is a stretch. You can find similar interior features in a Chrysler 200 nowadays.

Exterior-wise the W205 is beautiful, even if a little soft looking. Lowering it a tiny bit could help a lot there. But even before I'd consider I'd wait for a facelift that solves the above issues.

If you just purchased a W205, congrats - and I hope you enjoy it! Sure you will not regret the purchase, and look forward to reading more about owners' experiences as I figure out what my next MB choice will be, in a couple of years.
You're entitled to your opinion of course. As am I and in my opinion you're simply wrong
Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Money, sorry you got a 2014 C. Were you aware of the style change when you purchase yours?
Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP

Oh, I regret it alright...
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Originally Posted by miketc
Money, sorry you got a 2014 C. Were you aware of the style change when you purchase yours?
Oh no need to apologize! I actually got mine well after its launch - which landed me a crazy lease deal. Like a stupid, crazy lease deal because they were trying to unload all of their models.

Like I said, the interior was a dealbreaker for me. When I saw the first pictures, I was very disappointed. The W204 also feels and looks more sporty to me. I fell in love with the W204 when I drove it. I did not when I drove the W205.

Maybe I'm just a bizarre person - but I'll save my pennies while leasing this and leapfrog to the E or CLS class. I don't even let myself test drive either of those, CPO or new, because I know I will drive home with one. My wife also has a W204 - and she'll probably head in the direction of the SLK next time around.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Love my week old s205 to be in and drive, think the exterior is bland not my favourite at all, for that i need an s204 which in my opinion looks far far better. However for me the interior of the w204 is poor......came from a glk and the 205 is a huge improvement but again i prefer the exterior of the glk pre facelift.

Going back to the original question on this thread yes i like the 205, still improvements to make but at last a luxury small car......being a european i do not want a large engined gas guzzling co2 producing monster which with our congested countries barely fits on the narrow roads but i still want luxury in ride and comfort and decent performance....my 250 diesel 4matic is a step closer to meeting that brief.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
You're entitled to your opinion of course. As am I and in my opinion you're simply wrong
IMO, MoneyVSOP has stated some valid points about the W205. I too still prefer the more conservative styling of the W204 - for one, it doesn't try to imitate the much larger S Class like the W205 does. As for the W205 interior, the tacked on screen looks very cheesy. It's no surprise to me, given the numerous critical comments, that MB is already redesigning the W205 dash to have an integrated screen.

For you to say that MoneyVSOP is "simply wrong" is not fair. You have made clear that you do not share his opinion and that's quite OK - just do not imply he is mistaken in his views because you don't share them !

By the way, your Z4 is a very sharp looking machine ! No doubt it's a blast to drive on a twisty country road !

Last edited by DerekACS; 05-27-2015 at 04:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here actually like this car?