C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Excessive Wind Noise Captured on Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by arnold0523
I'm wondering those said NO WIND NOISE hear similar thing but consider it normal.
This. Plus you need a specific set of circumstances for the wind noise to present itself. Head/Cross Winds..
Old 06-19-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY16 C300
Digging around the internet, I've found quite a few discussions about wind noise. The vast majority blame the inability of the car to seal properly, typically because the seals are defective or poorly installed.

I found this Lexus thread particularly interesting (does it sound familiar to you?). If you look at the discussion around Dec 28th, 2013, abcsoup shows some diagnostics he was using to isolate the problem (and, it seems, temporarily solved the problem).

Maybe it's worth trying something similar on noisy C Class cars to find the specific culprits... especially if that can be used to demonstrate that seals (or improperly fitted doors) are the problem.

The thread I'm referring to is here

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-t...ow-door-2.html
Old 06-19-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by arnold0523
They may not fix it because it is "design characteristics". The car is designed this way.
I went to the dealership and they said all other cars have similar wind noise level. I'm wondering those said NO WIND NOISE hear similar thing but consider it normal.
I'm thinking that it was "designed" to have the whooshing sound that I hear from the passenger door. I highly doubt that they will try to argue that the flapping sound from my driver's door is supposed to sound that way seeing as the passenger door doesn't make that sound. If they attempt that, I'll make sure to ask them to give me a technical explanation of why the driver's side door and passenger's side door are supposed to sound different. I'll also be sure to ask them if they believe that 100% of C-Class vehicles around the world have a 0% possibility of any wind noise defects. If they say "Yes", then I'll ask them to give me that in a written statement.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by Vihzel
I'm thinking that it was "designed" to have the whooshing sound that I hear from the passenger door. I highly doubt that they will try to argue that the flapping sound from my driver's door is supposed to sound that way seeing as the passenger door doesn't make that sound. If they attempt that, I'll make sure to ask them to give me a technical explanation of why the driver's side door and passenger's side door are supposed to sound different. I'll also be sure to ask them if they believe that 100% of C-Class vehicles around the world have a 0% possibility of any wind noise defects. If they say "Yes", then I'll ask them to give me that in a written statement.
They won't give you anything in writing for a million bucks.

Best hope is to find a dealer who will change your weather stripping for door and glass under warranty and hand install it. Second best is to beg them for acoustic glass and pay for that out of pocket unless you have friends in high places. Per my friend at dealer, their new cars (June 2015 build) still have the wind noise. Though as she says, some buyers say it's "whisper quiet even at 80mph", she can still hear it loud and clear.

I'm sure Mercedes will put out new weather stripping. They are known to do that and just change the part number. As of now, all W205 have the same stripping, and it is very positional. A 1/100th of an inch makes a difference. Thus, why some develop noise later.

Last edited by HelenR; 06-20-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 AM

2015 C300
How were you able to get the acoustic glass? If need be, I'd be happy to pay for that out of pocket as I know it would be like 1% possibility of MBUSA giving it for free. Did you have to struggle with them to allow you to purchase it?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very windy today, crosswinds on the motorway sufficient to push the car around. Wind noise is significant if no music playing in car at speeds over 50mph. Wind noise sounds like it's all over the top of the car rather than door seal specific. id consider wind noise in these very windy conditions to be inevitable but still it's louder than any car I've owned.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:07 PM

VW Golf GTD
Today's Observer newspaper here in the UK had a review of the C300 hybrid:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...amg-car-review

As soon as I read one paragraph, I thought of this forum and then wondered if they were reviewing the same car, given all the problems on here:

The car is as smooth as a shaved shin and has virtually no wind drag. This means there’s little buffeting and road noise is minimal. It’s incredibly quiet on the road. An executive doesn’t want to be troubled with background chatter.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:35 PM

c300
Well that pretty much describes my car

Originally Posted by juwivive

As soon as I read one paragraph, I thought of this forum and then wondered if they were reviewing the same car, given all the problems on here:
Old 06-21-2015, 03:53 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by juwivive

if you read the comments on these forums by few people who just keep finding issues with their car the reviewer must be both blind and deaf
Old 06-21-2015, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by Sol01
if you read the comments on these forums by few people who just keep finding issues with their car the reviewer must be both blind and deaf
... and also too stupid to be aware of all the problems that are surrounding him.
He's probably just overwhelmed by it all ....
Old 06-21-2015, 05:47 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by StanNH
... and also too stupid to be aware of all the problems that are surrounding him.
He's probably just overwhelmed by it all ....
you are a legend man
Old 06-21-2015, 08:23 PM

2015 C300
Would you guys be able to record like I did in your cars for reference please? Preferably under similar speeds.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 AM

Interesting read. Are these wind noises happening on new cars from day 1?

Or is this issue after a few thousand miles?

I did notice that the two different owners are driving on both sides of the car, so is the noise only from the drivers' side in their respective country?

If it's driver's side only, then it must be worn seals.

This C-class supposedly has the best drag coefficient in it's segment (.24), so air management shouldn't be an issue.

The noise in the videos sounds like it's from the A-pillar.

You might want to try using "gummi pflege" on the door seals to refresh the rubber seals and see if the noise goes away.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Noise is from both sides. I fail to see how brand new cars can have worn seals?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM

2015 C300
ManiacGT is correct. It can appear on cars from the very first day.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Mine was quiet as a mouse, until we had some hot/cold spells and then it whistled louder than you could turn up the stereo in a crosswind. The dealer at first drove all the W205 on the lot, was about 10 of them, and they all had the 'noise', though his mechanic said he didn't hear it, the manager did. I ended up getting the new seals and window run as reccomended on the board and it helped a lot. Not as quiet wind noise as a basic Kia, or most other cars, but is better. I'm on the trail to get the acoustic glass. Easier said than done here, but our European buyers can get it, it exists.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by kellens
Mine was quiet as a mouse, until we had some hot/cold spells and then it whistled louder than you could turn up the stereo in a crosswind. The dealer at first drove all the W205 on the lot, was about 10 of them, and they all had the 'noise', though his mechanic said he didn't hear it, the manager did. I ended up getting the new seals and window run as reccomended on the board and it helped a lot. Not as quiet wind noise as a basic Kia, or most other cars, but is better. I'm on the trail to get the acoustic glass. Easier said than done here, but our European buyers can get it, it exists.
How am I supposed to ask the dealer to replace seal and windows run? They said all the cars have noise...or it's simple not a problem to fix.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
My 02. Have 2015 ML250. Not a very aerodynamic box. Recently drove from Cleveland to Chicago @ 70mph into a strong headwind. NO wind noise & I have not heard any wind noise in the 6,000 mi that I have put on my ML. Just posting this to illustrate that if Mercedes can make a big box SUV quiet there should be no problem with doing it on the new C Class.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:01 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
MY15 C300 4MATIC sedan. I can hear the exact buffeting/flapping wind noise as in these videos when running my car at above 55 mph in windy conditions. My car was built in June 2015.

Oh I'm 200% positive that it's not coming from the climate control air vents. I know all about the air vent noise, and I make sure to recirc when I'm on highway/freeway speeds. It definitely cuts down on the overall noise in the cabin, but it does nothing to reduce the excessive wind noise coming from the window.

I agree, air circulation button cuts down the overall wind noise, but the buffeting/flapping noise still clearly stays on at the same intensity.

Last edited by rchangek; 08-22-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:40 PM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
I was hoping that my newly delivered car manufactured July 2015 would be free from this issue after reading the forum for months now, but unfortunately it isn't. It's not THAT annoying and it was the first thing I was looking for as soon as I got it few days ago, but it's definitely there.

Not really sure if it's worth mentioning it to my dealer considering the answers people here received.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
C250 Polar White, Night Package
I have only been driving the car 2 days, but have been above 80mph and have not noticed any wind noise or excessive road noise.

For me, this car is complete quiet luxury. If I do find noise to become a nuisance, especially when driving longer journeys ill let you all know
Old 08-22-2015, 06:16 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
I was hoping that my newly delivered car manufactured July 2015 would be free from this issue after reading the forum for months now, but unfortunately it isn't. It's not THAT annoying and it was the first thing I was looking for as soon as I got it few days ago, but it's definitely there.

Not really sure if it's worth mentioning it to my dealer considering the answers people here received.
I am in the same situation. I want to go and complain to the dealer but not sure if its gonna be of any use at all.

I think wind conditions play very important role in whether or not you hear this noise.

Same goes with road noise. Road quality here in Michigan is not that great and I get a pretty noisy ride.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:45 AM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
Originally Posted by rchangek
I am in the same situation. I want to go and complain to the dealer but not sure if its gonna be of any use at all.

I think wind conditions play very important role in whether or not you hear this noise.

Same goes with road noise. Road quality here in Michigan is not that great and I get a pretty noisy ride.
I'am in Sweden so there is some crosswind pretty much all the time and the noise from driver window gets noticeable on the highway.

However I am more than happy with road noise, or better said lack of it. In that departement the car is really quiet. One of the first things family said was how quiet it is. (on the other hand we came from C63, so ride and acoustic comfort is like in S-class in comparison )
Old 08-23-2015, 11:47 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by zsh

Same thing with my July MY15 build. Its definitely there (seems to become noticeable around 60) but not that annoying. Car is otherwise very quite and even at 75 the wind noise isn't noticeable if I have the radio on.

Overall sort of like bad pixels in a display or sensor, your almost certainly better off not looking for them.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by pdp8
Same thing with my July MY15 build. Its definitely there (seems to become noticeable around 60) but not that annoying. Car is otherwise very quite and even at 75 the wind noise isn't noticeable if I have the radio on.

Overall sort of like bad pixels in a display or sensor, your almost certainly better off not looking for them.
It's a shame that people have this experience with a fixable problem.

Depending on your dealer, and moreso your adamance, you can get new window runs and door seals installed, and push the dealer to get you acoustic glass. No will be there first answers, but I'm proof they will do it. There's glass for this car that's DOT rated, MBUSA just not offering it here, interestingly, it's just a tiny bit thicker, about a mm. Enough that it might explain the loose seal on USA windows.

The car without mods has too much wind noise in a crosswind for a basic $14k car, much leas a $50k one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Excessive Wind Noise Captured on Video