MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C Class (W205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/)
-   -   Thoughts on C450 Standard MB-TEX/Dinamica seats? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/606724-thoughts-c450-standard-mb-tex-dinamica-seats.html)

nvestr 11-20-2015 09:06 AM

Thoughts on C450 Standard MB-TEX/Dinamica seats?

I just ordered a C450 in Canada with the standard seats. Just trying to be make sure I won't get buyer's remorse. I haven't been able to see these seats in person - only in photos.

Any of you have these seats in your C450? Thoughts on them? How do they feel and look? Any regrets?

I have felt MB-Tex in a C300 and thought it felt nice and soft - but it was a light color and I wonder how the black MB-Tex looks.

Personally, I like the look of the standard seats, just want to be sure they don't look or feel cheap...

TEAShea 11-20-2015 10:57 AM

I much prefer MBTex to leather. It has a better texture, wears much better and looks better.

mvw 11-20-2015 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by nvestr (Post 6620863)
I just ordered a C450 in Canada with the standard seats. Just trying to be make sure I won't get buyer's remorse. I haven't been able to see these seats in person - only in photos.

Any of you have these seats in your C450? Thoughts on them? How do they feel and look? Any regrets?

I have felt MB-Tex in a C300 and thought it felt nice and soft - but it was a light color and I wonder how the black MB-Tex looks.

Personally, I like the look of the standard seats, just want to be sure they don't look or feel cheap...

You really should check them out in person. Seat colour/texture is a big thing to have to deal with for 3+ years. I much prefer the black leather with white contrast stitching and would not have bought the car if the seats were standard MBtex and suede with red stitching (particularly because the red and suede stuff - at least to me - doesn't go with the high end luxury feel that I was looking for. Other people really like it, though.

parkwood 11-20-2015 12:46 PM

I have had 1 eclass with full leather, a glk with mbtex and cloth and now a c class estate with mbtex and dinamica.

The leather looked like mbtex or artico as it is called here in europe (I am in france), only not as good. Frankly i feel all the talk of leather in mercedes is grossly overstated unless you can afford the designo range which is decent, the standard leather is cheap and nasty split leather and the e class seats at 8yrs old are looking tired with signs of stretching and creasing on the seat cushions.

The texture of the artico i think is much better than the cheap leather it replicates and it wears extremly well. Most taxi drivers like artico over leather. The mix in my c class with the dinamica cloth and suede trim looks good and is wearing very well though my car is only 7mths old, but it looks like new. The glk side bolsters etc were unmarked and showed no wear after 50km and 3 yrs of use. I have black but here the stitching is in contrasting grey. The suede brushes up well and has not marked so far. It seems quite dirt resistant. From my view it is really a taste consideration as the quality of mbtex is high. Hope this helps.

tivoboy 11-21-2015 03:53 PM

I've never thought it was worth the upgrade (unless one is going designo) and the MB TEX looks and wears fine.. spend the money on performance or technology

DerekACS 11-21-2015 06:41 PM

leather vs MBtex

I just can't imagine owning a C450 without leather sport seats.

I have owned various BMWs and MBs over the past 30 years, all were equipped with real leather seats. I have never encountered any issues with MB leather. It feels so much nicer to touch than MBtex and it does not off-gas an unpleasant odour in the summer heat like MBtex does.

My wife's C250 coupe has Artico or MBtex. There is no mistaking this seat cover material for real leather.

nvestr 11-21-2015 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by DerekACS (Post 6622187)
I just can't imagine owning a C450 without leather sport seats.

I have owned various BMWs and MBs over the past 30 years, all were equipped with real leather seats. I have never encountered any issues with MB leather. It feels so much nicer to touch than MBtex and it does not off-gas an unpleasant odour in the summer heat like MBtex does.

My wife's C250 coupe has Artico or MBtex. There is no mistaking this seat cover material for real leather.

I too had this same attitude until I felt the Artico in a C300 at my dealer. It felt surprisingly rich and soft. Had a nice texture.

I, too, have always had leather seats in my cars.

That being said, most cars, when optioned with leather, only have the actual seating surfaces in leather - the rest is usually vinyl. Most people don`t notice the difference between the seating surfaces and the sides of the seats, so I`m not sure one can say the difference is unmistakable. In a C-class, would the door inserts, dash and sides of seats all be real leather if one goes the Nappa leather route?

My issue is of the 4 available options in Canada, I find that Red Leather is too flashy, the black leather is too plain, the grey leather is not my cup of tea. In between is the standard seats, the red stitching and suede inserts seem to give it some ''oomph'' without being too flashy.

I still have a lot of time to change my mind... My closest dealer with a C450 with the standard seats is 3 hours away... Not sure I want to make that drive just to see seats...

DerekACS 11-22-2015 01:11 AM

[QUOTE=nvestr;6622273
That being said, most cars, when optioned with leather, only have the actual seating surfaces in leather - the rest is usually vinyl. Most people don`t notice the difference between the seating surfaces and the sides of the seats, so I`m not sure one can say the difference is unmistakable. In a C-class, would the door inserts, dash and sides of seats all be real leather if one goes the Nappa leather route?

My issue is of the 4 available options in Canada, I find that Red Leather is too flashy, the black leather is too plain, the grey leather is not my cup of tea. In between is the standard seats, the red stitching and suede inserts seem to give it some ''oomph'' without being too flashy.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are correct in saying that only the actual seating surfaces are leather when you opt for the leather option. And, yes anyone riding in your car would not likely notice the difference between the seating surface leather and the MBTex sides.

My remarks on the appearance of the MBTex were based on my test drive of a C400. I now see that the C450 has the standard MBTex/suede combo; definitely an upgrade from the all vinyl seating surfaces.

After all of the problems of oozing/bleeding MBtex that occurred with the 2015 C300/C400, I admit I would be reluctant to order this type of upholstery for any North American built W205. Hopefully these problems have long since been resolved with the Mexican supplier of the seats.

arnold0523 05-12-2016 08:57 AM

Those of you who own DINAMICA seats, do you have a problem of static built up in winter? The static is my biggest concern of choosing between leather and MB-TEX, w/ DINAMICA. Thanks.

alexasa 05-12-2016 09:36 AM

I love the MBtex - my back doesn't sweat with it compared to leather.

For the look - I probably prefer full leather.

nvestr 05-12-2016 10:28 AM

I have since received my car (I'm the OP) with the MBTex/Dinamica and I absolutely love them. Not a single regret and they look very sharp. I recommend!

I have not experience static in the winter (not that I noticed anyway)... I only took delivery in late February so that colder part of winter was before then, so can't fully comment...

cenzo86 05-12-2016 11:10 AM

I haven't had my car over the winter to know for sure, but I've driven cars with alcantara before. I had a Jaguar x type sport years ago with the alcantara seats and they never gave me trouble with static. Honestly, my VW with vinyl seats gave me more static shocks. Staying away from polyester clothes all together in a good tip. My Mets jersey always shocks me when I get up from plastic seats.
The dinamica seems identical to alcantara to me. It should be water proof and easily washable.

arnold0523 05-12-2016 03:07 PM

I did some research online. they say DINAMICA is microfiber, and microfiber causes static as what I am aware of.

Or maybe DINAMICA is a special high end microfiber that won't cause static?

I have leather seats in W205, which would also shock me during winter, but a lot better than cloth seats. It depended on what kind of clothes I worn.

But anyway thanks for your comments.

xxstoyanxx 05-12-2016 05:19 PM

I have the MBtex/dinamica seats and i have to say i love them. The it feels nice and looks nice as well. Different then all leather. I previously had nappa leather in my bmw and this doesnt feel any cheaper or worse in any way. If anything i actually like it better. It will all be subjective though.

If i was getting an s class or something more luxurious i would opt for the more expensive full leather, but for a sporty car this is perfect.