MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C Class (W205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/)
-   -   C450 Muffler delete exhaust video (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/616596-c450-muffler-delete-exhaust-video.html)

bretpfair 02-23-2016 03:32 AM

C450 Muffler delete exhaust video

Hey guys...just completed my muffler delete this morning. Replaced the mufflers with straight pipes and left the resonator in. It's pretty loud. Have the vivid racing tune Juicebox going in tomorrow. Check out the YouTube video if you want to hear what it sounds like. For $100 it's pretty darn good. It's pretty loud when under throttle on the freeway but I think I can live with it. Other option is to install two resonators where the mufflers were if I think it's too loud. I'll keep you posted. What are your thoughts?

cenzo86 02-23-2016 09:31 AM

I found the video's volume was very low, but what I heard sounds promising. I noticed the overrun crackling sound is a bit fatter now.
My questions is what else needed to be removed along with the mufflers? Is this a muffler with controllable flaps to contend with? Are there any electronic controllers or tubes running to the cans?

Maritime 02-23-2016 10:02 AM

This must be a California thing. I can't imagine why most Mercedes buyers would want such a thing. Sorry.

bretpfair 02-23-2016 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by cenzo86 (Post 6716565)
I found the video's volume was very low, but what I heard sounds promising. I noticed the overrun crackling sound is a bit fatter now.
My questions is what else needed to be removed along with the mufflers? Is this a muffler with controllable flaps to contend with? Are there any electronic controllers or tubes running to the cans?

Volume seems fine on my computer, so not sure. The overrun crackling is definitely much louder. The only thing that was removed was the muffler. They cut it off at the welds and put in straight pipes. I will try to get a pic later on today of the finished product. There are no electronic vales, however, I think that would probably by the best way to go.You could instal an easy cut-out right before the mufflers and get the same sound. However, not sure if that would have any affect on the power due to back pressure issues. I can't really see any power loss with the way my system is now.

The drone is pretty loud at low rpms. I am going to have them install resonators in place of the mufflers next and see if that helps with the sound at all. I will post videos when completed.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...cf87ee4e82.png

TEAShea 02-23-2016 10:59 AM

cool

lbowroom 02-23-2016 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maritime (Post 6716579)
This must be a California thing. I can't imagine why most Mercedes buyers would want such a thing. Sorry.

On this we see eye to eye and I'm from CA.

cenzo86 02-23-2016 12:53 PM

If there aren't any valves, why is the sound different in sport + mode?

Mr. J 02-24-2016 02:15 AM

The drone during freeway driving would drive me nuts. No thanks.

bretpfair 02-24-2016 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by cenzo86 (Post 6716788)
If there aren't any valves, why is the sound different in sport + mode?

So to my knowledge there are no valves anywhere on the stock c450 exhaust system. When you put it into sport + however, the exhaust note is much deeper and you get the pops and crackles when you let off the gas. The shop where I got this done told me that the sport + just tweaked the ecu and fuel mapping and therefore the change in exhaust note. So, with the muffler delete, you still get a throatier sound and very loud pops and crackles

tmoneyC450amg 02-24-2016 12:56 PM

Sorry, it's too loud and unrefined. The AMGs are loud but they're done so in a more refined manner. And plus the drone will annoy the heck out of me and I don't think I will be getting the type of stares I would want with that level of noise pollution.

kowyzg0moo 02-24-2016 04:51 PM

keep us posted! appreciate the updates.

cenzo86 02-24-2016 05:19 PM

It looks like there is a fair amount of room left next to the mufflers. What about putting in a pair of vacuum controlled exhaust cutouts in place of the pipes after the Y. Most exhaust systems that integrate these usually have the straight pipe running through the muffler and then meeting again before the tips, but it isn't important to have the exhaust finishers actually be the exit.
I drove a Ghibli sQ4 today and the cold startup noise on it is downright scary! It has a button inside the car to keep the flaps open on full throttle also.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...51b730c882.jpg
Who needs a $2500 exhaust suite anyway if you just want a full open exhaust sound on demand?

Mr. J 02-24-2016 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by cenzo86 (Post 6718429)
It looks like there is a fair amount of room left next to the mufflers. What about putting in a pair of vacuum controlled exhaust cutouts in place of the pipes after the Y. Most exhaust systems that integrate these usually have the straight pipe running through the muffler and then meeting again before the tips, but it isn't important to have the exhaust finishers actually be the exit.
I drove a Ghibli sQ4 today and the cold startup noise on it is downright scary! It has a button inside the car to keep the flaps open on full throttle also.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...51b730c882.jpg
Who needs a $2500 exhaust suite anyway if you just want a full open exhaust sound on demand?

Is there a vacuum box or a line that could be tapped that far back besides the brake booster? I thought the tranny was all electronic, so it wouldn't have a vacuum modulator right?
Excuse my ammaturish questions. Most my automotive knowledge is pretty dated.

cenzo86 02-25-2016 08:46 AM

This one pictured works off boost. 5lbs or less it shuts the flap. I just don't know where the line hooks up to sence boost pressure. The electronic actuators get **** on for longevity issues. The other option is having your ECU control opening. But I don't know how anyone can diy that setup.

bretpfair 02-25-2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by cenzo86 (Post 6718982)
This one pictured works off boost. 5lbs or less it shuts the flap. I just don't know where the line hooks up to sence boost pressure. The electronic actuators get **** on for longevity issues. The other option is having your ECU control opening. But I don't know how anyone can diy that setup.

This is very intriguing! I think that I will experiment with this. Can you provide a link to where these can be purchased?

Wookii 02-25-2016 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maritime

I'm in California and I think muffler deletes are as lame as plastidip on a luxury car.

angeloxnet 02-25-2016 08:45 PM

i tried the muffler delete on my thread on a c400 and the drone at cruising speeds was simply unbearable, i also tried resonators in place of the mufflers and got the same drone, so put back the mufflers.

RixC300 02-25-2016 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wookii
I'm in California and I think muffler deletes are as lame as plastidip on a luxury car.

Who the hell said it was a luxury car? Just because it has a star on it doesn't mean it's some sort of can't touch me car. And WTF does California have to do with anything?!?

cenzo86 02-25-2016 10:00 PM

New idea... Even classier!
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30862...k-saAhSx8P8HAQ
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5c8722112b.png

Mr. J 02-25-2016 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by cenzo86 (Post 6719832)

:rolf:
Good old 19th century technology.:rolf:

nadeau 02-27-2016 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by RixC300 (Post 6719811)
Who the hell said it was a luxury car? Just because it has a star on it doesn't mean it's some sort of can't touch me car. And WTF does California have to do with anything?!?

HAHAH i was thinking the same thing!!

uptownman 06-15-2016 10:11 AM

So did you ever put in the resonators? And would you consider selling your 450 mufflers to a 400 owner? ;)

Albanmtexas 06-15-2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by uptownman (Post 6833592)
So did you ever put in the resonators? And would you consider selling your 450 mufflers to a 400 owner? ;)

I'll sell you my complete amg exhaust off the 450 950.00 plus shipping

cenzo86 06-15-2016 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Albanmtexas (Post 6833842)
I'll sell you my complete amg exhaust off the 450 950.00 plus shipping

You have the AWE track system now don't you? I'm guessing you love the sound if your offering the stock system for sale.

Albanmtexas 06-15-2016 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cenzo86 (Post 6834009)
You have the AWE track system now don't you? I'm guessing you love the sound if your offering the stock system for sale.

Yes sir for the track edition! Love it. Brings the beast out. Really isn't over bearing either but when you get on it, game over!!