C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Parcel shelf rattle on rough road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450 AMG
Parcel shelf rattle on rough road

My c450 seems to have a pretty significant rattle noise coming from the rear parcel shelf when the road is moderately rough.
When I bang on the center of the shelf I can hear something rattle. On the sides not so much. At first I thought it was the center brake light but I think I can hear a noise from under the shelf also.

Anyone experience this? If so, did the dealership fix successfully?

Cheers
Old 06-27-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
i'd be checking the rar seat release handles and the associated cables.. if the handles seem secure and the cables are / have potential to tap then wrap some thin adhesive foam aroud them, or a patch of foam on the parcel panel underside..

if it is a higher piyched rattle (ie lower mass) then i'd be considering the cables to either the stop light and speakers of perhaps a trim clip or euqally as likely a foreign body in there from the assy line...

mine had a spare washer under the rear seat bolster... it happens...
Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Shadwell
i'd be checking the rar seat release handles and the associated cables.. if the handles seem secure and the cables are / have potential to tap then wrap some thin adhesive foam aroud them, or a patch of foam on the parcel panel underside..

if it is a higher piyched rattle (ie lower mass) then i'd be considering the cables to either the stop light and speakers of perhaps a trim clip or euqally as likely a foreign body in there from the assy line...

mine had a spare washer under the rear seat bolster... it happens...
Thanks! I had a quick look at the release cables and I agree they could be wrapped to avoid them vibrating off the underside of the shelf. I will try that and see if the noise is reduced. The center brake light housing does seem to make a bit of noise.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 PM

Judicious use of some adhesive backed foam under one side of the stop lamp assembly should preload it enough on its mounting to prevent movement and noise..

I found EPDM adhesive foam tape (5mm thick, 50mm wide.. 5m role) in the hardware store which has been ideal for this sort of thing.. and it has been called in to use on every door and the dash...

Best of luck
Old 06-30-2016, 12:41 AM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Shadwell
Judicious use of some adhesive backed foam under one side of the stop lamp assembly should preload it enough on its mounting to prevent movement and noise..

I found EPDM adhesive foam tape (5mm thick, 50mm wide.. 5m role) in the hardware store which has been ideal for this sort of thing.. and it has been called in to use on every door and the dash...

Best of luck
Just curious... did you remove the center / third brake light to apply the foam tape?

I have also noticed that my trunk lid is not pushed hard against the 4 stoppers when closed. When I use the palm of my hand to bang the spoiler I also get the vibrating shuddering noise. Haven't asked the wife to do it and I sit inside the car yet . But, should there be any play on the trunk lid?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 AM

I have the S205 now and have taken half the car apart improving NVH issues...

Re the W205 Rear stop light I would endeavour to wedge something under it in situ..
Just less effort for the same result....
If unsuccessful drop the rear seats and investigate the panel clips and fixings to see if you can ID a logical removal sequence...

If that's daunting perhaps try sending vicviper a PM and ask if he could access a WIS for the rear parcel shelf assy... (Work instruction sheet)...

Best of luck...