C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Wife Got A New Car...2017 Jaguar XE R-SPORT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
The Jag is all-aluminum, right? How does it feel as far as solidity goes?
Old 08-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 C300, 2016 GLC
Thanks for this thread. I am new to the brand and to these forums, purchasing a 2016 C300 sport about one month ago.

I was really torn between the Jaguar XE and the car I eventually selected. For the longest time I have always wanted a Jag and when I first went car shopping I fully expected to come home with an XE. I was pretty much sold before I even walked into the showroom! And in most ways I actually thought the Jaguar was as good or better than the Mercedes -- styling, features, performance, handling, and certainly the warranty.

But that interior . . . it just left me cold. Nice, but nothing really special and nowhere near the style and quality of the Mercedes Benz. If Jaguar had done a little better job on the interior design and materials I'm sure I would be driving an XE today. As it is, I'm loving the C300. Both are great cars, but I have no regrets at all about my decision.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
The attention and detail lavished by its designers on the 205's interior is class exclusive at the moment, but having owned the car for six months my take away is that it's a thin veneer laid over an otherwise competent, but not great, compact sedan.

Eye candy and gizmos to justify the price instead of the "hewn from a single block of steel", over-engineered, good for 250,000 miles feel of the older Benzes. I've been chasing down rattles in the dash (successfully) for three months. All the pretty parts don't seem to come together exactly right when the cars come off the line.

So while the Jags interior is less lavish, it is straightforward and honest for an entry level premium sport sedan. Depending on ride quality and seat comfort I might actually like the Jag a bit more. I prefer a heavier feel and a plusher ride. Unfortunately my nearest dealer is 2 hours in any direction, but once they start showing up at CarMax I'd like to take one out.

Not to say I don't like the C, but I had to put AirMatic on it, stick with the less attractive 18" wheels, swap the run flats, do sound deadening and put several grand into the audio to get it where I wanted.
The following users liked this post:
mcbc220 (08-29-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Good job you did too Mike otherwise a crap ton of people wouldn't be as clued up in the audio improvement...

Like wise taking my car apart and putting it back together properly has given me a great working knowledge of the car and allowed incremental improvements where I see fit..

And I guess we'd be bored had it not been the case?!? ��
Old 08-28-2016, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, and I'm happy with the car. You should hear me rant when I'm miserable with one.
The following users liked this post:
Shadwell (08-28-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
very nice!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by mcbc220

The Jag is all-aluminum, right?
I believe the W205 is comprised of more aluminum percentage wise than the Jaguar XE. According to the manufacturer's web sites, the Jaguar XE R-Sport 35t AWD is 47 lbs heavier than the 2016 C450.

How does it feel as far as solidity goes?
The Jag feels very solid...much like the C450.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Two things I've noticed recently about the Jag XE R-Sport:

1) Engine doesn't feel as refined & smooth as my C450. Idle also feels more rough in the Jag.

2) The Jag's ECO engine auto off/on feature is not as seamless as the C450 (my old 2015 C300 wasn't as smooth restarting at times either), but what I do like is just moving the steering wheel restarts the engine...like a BMW. I wish Mercedes Benz offered this feature to restart the engine as well.

On a side note, the Jag is on it's 2nd tank of gas now...and gas mileage has creped up to about 21 mpg.

Last edited by MASSC450; 09-01-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by MASSC450
Two things I've noticed recently about the Jag XE R-Sport:

1) Engine doesn't feel as refined & smooth as my C450. Idle also feels more rough in the Jag.

2) The Jag's ECO engine auto off/on feature is not as seamless as the C450 (my old 2015 C300 wasn't as smooth restarting at times either), but what I do like is just moving the steering wheel restarts the engine...like a BMW. I wish Mercedes Benz offered this feature to restart the engine as well.

On a side note, the Jag is on it's 2nd tank of gas now...and gas mileage has creped up to about 21 mpg.
Hey Mass, do you feel that the Jag is more cramped on the inside? When I sat in one at the NYIAS I felt like the interior had very coupe-like proportions with its steep rake in the rear and small rear door opening. Also the dashboard felt much more airy in the W205 and in the Jag I felt like the dash was almost on top of me, combined with a high belt line. Am I bugging out?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by DapperStyle

Hey Mass, do you feel that the Jag is more cramped on the inside? When I sat in one at the NYIAS I felt like the interior had very coupe-like proportions with its steep rake in the rear and small rear door opening. Also the dashboard felt much more airy in the W205 and in the Jag I felt like the dash was almost on top of me, combined with a high belt line. Am I bugging out?
Upfront I don't feel anymore cramped in the Jag as I do in the C450 (I have my seat at the lowest setting possible in my C450), but the rear of the Jag is a different story. The back seat area in the Jag is definitely smaller and more cramped...especially when it comes to headroom.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C220 AMG Line Premium Plus Coupe
I looked at the Jaguar XE and XF last week, we're getting quotes currently to replace my C220. I like some features of the Jaguar (leather seats as standard, touch screen system), but I think I still prefer a lot of the Mercedes features. Am looking to change to the C220/250 Coupe because I love the looks.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by Lisadj
I looked at the Jaguar XE and XF last week, we're getting quotes currently to replace my C220. I like some features of the Jaguar (leather seats as standard, touch screen system), but I think I still prefer a lot of the Mercedes features. Am looking to change to the C220/250 Coupe because I love the looks.

I actually ordered an XE in June...it came in this week. Hands down the interior of my C400 and features have the advantage on the Jag. But the Jag is very attractive and is not seen everywhere like the C class. Well I go for a test drive Monday and realize that the Navi voice guidance isn't working...my salesman and others can't figure it out...not a big deal I'm scheduled to take delivery on Wednesday. I go Weds to pick it up and before signing anything I ask about voice guidance...still not working...we drive it around and can't get it to work. Two hours into this fiasco I suggest he take it in to servicing...he does and states it needs a software update. Well I go home as I've been there 2.5 hours...salesman calls around 7:00 pm and states update done however voice guidance still not working and they've opened a ticket with Jaguar USA. At that point I'm done...I pull out of the deal. I could not believe on the day of my delivery no one had this figured out despite me bringing it to their attention on Monday...and if this is how they treat potential Jag owners I can't imagine being an actual owner...especially since there only one dealership in town...I've dodged a bullet!! p.s. Do yourself a favor if you haven't already and browse the Jag forum...after my posting this on that forum it appears that the car can be quirky with electrical issues.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
*Update*

My wife's 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now to correct some issues that crept up shortly after taking delivery of her car:

1. Clicking sound under driver's seat when driving

2. Center view screen flickering sporadically

3. NAV traffic was not activated

4. Poor application of Simonize for the interior

The NAV traffic was the easiest to fix...the dealership said they just forgot to activate it. The flickering center view screen display (she opted for the upgrade 10.2" system)...a software update that they said corrected the issue. The poor application of the interior Simonize treatment (like a 5 yr old applied it)...a complete reapplication of the product, as well as a complete detail of the car inside out.

Now as for the biggest issue...the clicking noise under the driver's seat while driving. After a week and a half of diagnosis, turns out it was faulty rivet on the chassis of the car under the seat. A Jaguar rep actually had to come out and document/approve the repair, and the dealership has said the car will be ready for her to pickup in a couple days. Her first loaner was a brand new Range Rover Evoque, now she's sporting a base Jaguar XE 2.5. She did also talk to Jaguar about this, and we'll see if they somehow compensate her for her troubles with a brand new car.

She still loves her car however, and can't wait to get it back. Her only real beef is with the HUD. Compared to the HUD on her old 2014 BMW, and because the Jaguar's HUD is laser based, it's not as clear to read and does not display as much NAV information as the BMW HUD did.

Last edited by MASSC450; 10-15-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
yea... I had a Jaguar once.
Twice actually.
The first was about to be lemoned for transfer case troubles, when out of nowhere it was involved in an accident (literally driven over by a pickup truck), being driven by the service manager, at 2AM, 100 Miles from the dealership. They said they would fix it up good as new... I threatened to paint lemons on it and park it outside the dealership, so they issued me a replacement vehicle keeping the original lease terms. My second one was much better.
Both cars were X-Type 3.0 Sports. It really was a beautiful car inside and out. The first one was blue over black with black wood trim. The replacement was gray but it had ground effects, black mesh grills, alcantara seats, and carbon fiber trim. It was actually loaded up with ahead of it's time options.
Every year when my father and I go to the auto show I walk past Jaguar, gawking and grinning, and he just looks at me like, "you didn't learn your lesson"?
Bottom line is, NOBODY buys a Jaguar because they are reliable!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
Was thinking about trying an XE recently. How's your wife's car worked out, OP?