C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Pulsating Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
Originally Posted by mo11
Charming...
Charming is probably desired but not a requirement.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 C300 4Matic
I have this with my car and told the dealer and they said it was just from the pads and to do a "hard stop" to even out the pads. Tried it but didn't help. Not sure if it wasn't hard enough. I only feel it during highway speed slow downs, not on local roads.

I guess I'll give it another shot before I bring it in for the 25k service. If not, going to complain again.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by Hapa88
If you read them you obviously didn't really get what you were reading. Here's what's happening in your car washing example: Your pad & rotor get hot from repeated braking from driving. You go and park your car in the driveway and now the hot rotor and pad are now stopped and fixed in one position on the rotor. At this point the pad is essentially melting onto the rotor while you're stopped. As it cools (with
the cooling process sped up by the water), it essentially melts onto the rotor leaving a deposit (in the shape of a brake pad) and also creates a sort of binding to your rotor.

The next time you drive the car and hit the brakes as the rotor is spinning, you feel a pulsation every time the brake pad rolls over that part of the rotor with the pad deposit on it. The pulsation is NOT because of the rotors warping, its because of the brake pad deposit.

There are 3 basic ways to solve the problem: 1) get all new rotors, since new rotors have a uniform thickness 2) have your rotors "turned" which is basically a machining process that sands the entire rotor down to a uniform thickness (this removes that little bit of pad deposit in that one area). 3) Somehow get the pad to evenly deposit around the entire surface of the rotor.. This is a process that is similar to "bedding" the brake pads.

Here's what a pad imprint looks like.

Lastly, the sizzling action and steam is because the rotors are hotter than 100C (the boiling point of water) when you spray them. As soon as the water hits the hot rotor it turns into steam, and at the same time the metal contracts. Its the same thing that happens when you cook on a pan and run the pan under water immediately after.
anither option exists, using products such as iron x on the rotor removes the pad imprint and other ferrous deposits in a way resetting the disc.. ensuring the whole rotor is cleaned has solved this for me numerous times...
The following users liked this post:
Hapa88 (04-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
The pulsating is especially bad on the highway for me right now. I know what I'm doing this afternoon. That new road to nowhere (upcoming business park) will be seeing me for a little while. Circles on either end too, so no stopping Hope that works... will report back tomorrow / when I remember to
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 AM

2015 W205 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by l3it3r
The pulsating is especially bad on the highway for me right now. I know what I'm doing this afternoon. That new road to nowhere (upcoming business park) will be seeing me for a little while. Circles on either end too, so no stopping Hope that works... will report back tomorrow / when I remember to
I forgot to update this, but the process in the powerstop link ( https://www.powerstop.com/what-causes-brake-pulsation/ ) worked

What was key for me? I have a 1/2 mile stretch of road with circles on either end and no traffic ... it's a new road for an upcoming office / commercial area, that no one really uses yet. Do this process as long as you can continue driving for a while without actually stopping. So... a stretch of road with circles on either end :-p
The following users liked this post:
Hapa88 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
Originally Posted by l3it3r
I forgot to update this, but the process in the powerstop link ( https://www.powerstop.com/what-causes-brake-pulsation/ ) worked

What was key for me? I have a 1/2 mile stretch of road with circles on either end and no traffic ... it's a new road for an upcoming office / commercial area, that no one really uses yet. Do this process as long as you can continue driving for a while without actually stopping. So... a stretch of road with circles on either end :-p
Glad it worked for you! Now that you know what causes it in the first place, hopefully now you can prevent it from being an issue in the future!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
^Fake account.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 AM

2015 W205 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Hapa88
Glad it worked for you! Now that you know what causes it in the first place, hopefully now you can prevent it from being an issue in the future!
Actually, I'm thinking it was the fact that I almost always park the car with Brake Hold. I've started just coming to a stop and using the park button on the car.. It's no where as elegant or nice as using the brake hold (come to a stop, push the brake one more time, press engine off, walk away) but I'm fairly certain that's why I had the resin build up.