C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating gone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating gone?

Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating has gone ? Clay bar to remove water spots ?

Hello,

Car was coated almost 2 years ago, but after cleaning the car without drying it, it now has water spots.

Do you think that it means that the glass coating has gone already ? Or a car that is glass coated can still have water spots ?

And what is the best solution to remove water spots ? Clay bar ?

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well .. many differentiate between Type 1 and Type 2

For questions on your OptiCoat.by-many-names - go back to the original installer and ask him/her.

Water spots are caused by "hard water" beaded on your car that evaporate under hot/sunny conditions to leave the mineral/solids behind as "water spots".

Always best to remove water spots promptly because they can etch the clearcoat over time.

Type 1 - use thick type fluffy micro-fiber towel - "flood" the water spot area with a decent Quik/Quick "spray detailer"product - like oft mentioned Meguiars products - with area and towel wet see if they will rub out wet - use clean fluffy towel to dry/hand-polish.
Alternatively you can use 50/50 mix white vinegar and distilled water (not tap) and try the same thing

Amazon Amazon

Type 2 - start with same process as Type 1 - wet detailer/wet towel - but the pesky buggers won't come out - etched.
Use Novus 2 or Meguiars PlatX - which is a fine abrasive that breaks down under pressure - so if your car careful under soft pressure - in like "nickel size" dollops over a small area - so compound stays damp then break down - you should be quite fine.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Coatings are hydrophobic which causes water beading and when allowed to dry on the paint will leave the particulate and mineral content behind.
To remove this use a product designed to do so such as carpro spotless.
The fact the water is beading strongly suggests the coating is still present and in tact.
As an aside it is recommended that coatings be topped as a final step in cleaning to maintain their strong properties eg carpro reload etc..

Coatings are not maintenance free, and once abused (swirled) or allowed to be heavily etched, harder to do but possible) often require polishing to remove and reapplication.

If you aren't doing this yourself its expensive, so suggest you follow the required maintenance products and methods to protect the investment.

This site has a wealth of information:-
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
The following users liked this post:
benzw205 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
none yet

This coating makes it so easy to wash and dry 20 min start to finish
The following users liked this post:
benzw205 (08-04-2018)
Old 02-01-2019, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
If you want to avoid water spots, get a good DI rinse system. I bucked up for the best, a DI Rinse Pro100 for $550. The great thing about this is that you can rinse and wash your vehicle in direct sunlight without ever getting water spots. And you never need to dry your car again. Just use the TDS meter periodically to make sure that the TDS reading is under 10. Once it starts to go above that number, you will want to buy a new bag of resin. Some folks build their own DI rinse systems. But this site always has the cheapest resin.

https://dirinse.com/
Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E300
I've done my car over a month ago and it's really amazing, washing my car is soo easy and doesn't take time nor take any efforts. Using a water pressure pump and a micro fiber cloth and you're good to go.

I tried to attached a video of my car while they're finalizing it. I hope it gets posted in this post.

Attached Files

Last edited by Boiling Ice; 02-21-2019 at 10:32 AM.