C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

PANORAMIC ROOF Shattered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
PANORAMIC ROOF Shattered

So woke up yesterday morning to find that my PANORAMIC ROOF glass shattered with no signs of impact from anything dropping. Thankfully I had an inside tint installed so all the glass in tact and not all over the inside of my car. Will keep you guys posted on the repair process, already getting the run around from local dealers about getting a loaner during the holidays.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 mercedes C300
It is becoming a big issue. The glass is getting bigger and bigger. I've had a couple of panoramic roofs. Never wanted or liked them. My C300 has one. The car had everything I liked except the roof. Will not get another even if I have to order the car.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:53 PM

C300
So seems like panoramic roofs aren't covered under glass coverage but are auto body claim because they consider it the roof of the vehicle so means deductible. Guess I need to fight with MB USA first before going forward.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
I should be picking up my 2018 C300, on Jan 2nd. I specifically ordered it without the pano sunroof because of all the reported issues of them shattering, not just with MB but many brands.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250
GLK250 panoramic roof exploded

On my way home about two weeks ago I heard a loud BANG and thought someone had shot my car. It was dark and raining. When I arrived home I got a flashlight and inspected the car. No visible damage. I’m 5’1” and it didn’t occur to me to even look at the roof. About a week or so later another big BOOM but this time I heard what sounded like sand sliding off the roof. I thought I’d been hit by a rock. Dark and rain again, but next AM we found the shattered glass. Farmers recommended Safelight who suggested I take the car to a local body shop for a “wrap” until they could get replacement glass. Needless to say with all the rain we get in Oregon in January, I took it to my MBZ dealer who repaired it (at my expense) and never mentioned the possibility that this was a MBZ issue. I’m waiting to hear if Farmers will cover the dealer repair. This is definitely a safety issue and someone needs to address it.
The following users liked this post:
Dship (03-30-2020)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
This from Consumer Reports: Two U.S. senators are applying pressure on the auto industry for answers and more transparency over issues related to spontaneously shattering sunroofs.

In letters to senior executives of car companies doing business in the U.S., Senators Richard Blumenthal, of Connecticut, and Edward Markey, of Massachusetts, both Democrats, have asked 15 detailed questions about sunroof materials, design, and defects, and have said they would like answers by Dec. 4.

The lawmakers want to know what types of glass the companies are using in their sunroofs, and whether automakers are tracking exploding sunroof incidents for their vehicles.

“While, thankfully, severe injuries have not been officially linked to this hazard, the increasing trend of this risk requires immediate response and action,” the senators wrote. “It is vital that you take steps to assure consumers of the structural integrity of their sunroofs.”

In October, Consumer Reports published an investigation into sunroofs that shatter suddenly without explanation. The special report found 859 accounts of consumers reporting such incidents to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s complaints database, with the cases spanning 208 models and 35 brands. CR’s analysis found that such complaints have spiked in recent years, as larger, so-called panoramic sunroofs have become more popular and more prevalent.

The senators have asked the auto executives about design changes they’ve made over the last 20 years and whether they’ve alerted their dealers about the potential for shattering incidents.

They also want to know about any voluntary recalls, and how each company handles consumer complaints. The executives have been asked to share any patterns they’ve noticed to shattering-sunroof incidents related to vehicles they make.

The letters went out this week to: BMW, Daimler Trucks, Ferrari, Fiat Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-Benz Vans, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Tesla, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo.

Some, but not all, of the automakers on the list were cited in Consumer Reports’ investigation.

The article goes on: Since the CR report first ran, dozens more consumers have written in or contacted Consumer Reports to share personal accounts of shattering sunroofs.

If you have an incident to report, go to NHTSA's consumer complaint website, or call the Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236.

Last edited by PeteInGilroy; 01-24-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 AM

C300
So update on my roof from last month.

The bill came out to be around $2400. After fighting with Geico they ended up covering. had to go thru an adjuster but no deductible out of my pocket. Glass coverage ends up covering the bill.

I honestly wish Mercedes would own up to this somehow.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertk21:
Dship (03-30-2020), miketc (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
"This from Consumer Reports: Two U.S. senators are applying pressure on the auto........."
Whoa! Good to know, thanks!

I've never heard of this before, but it doesn't surprise me. Is there any "official" cause for this? I'm assuming it's along the lines of stress from expansion due to temperature variance, right? Anyone aware of this from another Benz?

Originally Posted by robertk21
I honestly wish Mercedes would own up to this somehow.
Ughhh....right? Add it to the list.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLE450
GLE 450 coupe sunroof shattered in cold temps

2014 GLE 450 Coupe: 2/20/18: Spontaneous explosion of my large sunroof four minutes into my drive to work. Temps in the 20s and my heater was on high. I was driving about 55 miles an hour when the sunroof exploded outward, sounded like a gunshot. Took to Mercedes and also submitted to my insurance to figure out who pays.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 AM

c250 AMG
C250 AMG 2015 from oman similar case

Originally Posted by Donny Peterson
2014 GLE 450 Coupe: 2/20/18: Spontaneous explosion of my large sunroof four minutes into my drive to work. Temps in the 20s and my heater was on high. I was driving about 55 miles an hour when the sunroof exploded outward, sounded like a gunshot. Took to Mercedes and also submitted to my insurance to figure out who pays.

i was driving kn the highway - roof suddenly exploded , no damage whatsoever on the roof .. took it to dealer to claim warranty , dealer submitted case to mercedes and they rejected .. should I take this to legal ?

this is seriously upsetting when the roof is suppose to protect you and this explosion traumatize passengers - luckily i was alone... an expensive brand with cheap parts - this is what i learnt now from mercedes ...
Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 AM

c250 AMG
Originally Posted by CFG
Did Mercedes contend misuse or abuse, and if so, how or what?
not sure reasons for Mercedes rejection- all i know is that they told the dealer that there is nothing wrong or “defect” in the roof...

found some lawyers in yourtube uploaded a video about a case against Mercedes in the USA - search youtube “mercedes benz sunroof exploding” by washinton law office ... im from a different country but should I give it a try given same problem ..
Old 02-28-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W205 C250
I cannot believe this is happening... How many issues this car has? I think the only way to achieve something is to go in public or (even better) a collective law suit... It's not good to go one by one... I would also like to know who else experienced whining rear differential and failed steering...
Old 02-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
Amazed how this is not picked up in vehicle testing, all that driving across burning hot deserts and nothing went wrong? Could it be defective parts from the supplier?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:40 AM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
This is now a recall. So if you already paid it you should bring it back to MB to cover the cost.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Class
Hi All,

Same thing happened to my A Class last Saturday - after sending the car to Mercedes UK they have told me this is not covered under warranty, they are expecting me to pay for the cost. Lucky this was caught on my CCTV check the below twitter link. They have also left me with me no courtesy car so I am expected to pay for my own travels to work etc. Has anyone managed to get this repaired by Mercedes? What should I do next if Mercedes are not taking responsibility for it?

The following users liked this post:
ionz13 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by Vicksk
Hi All,

Same thing happened to my A Class last Saturday - after sending the car to Mercedes UK they have told me this is not covered under warranty, they are expecting me to pay for the cost. Lucky this was caught on my CCTV check the below twitter link. They have also left me with me no courtesy car so I am expected to pay for my own travels to work etc. Has anyone managed to get this repaired by Mercedes? What should I do next if Mercedes are not taking responsibility for it?

https://twitter.com/Red_Devil718/sta...65023536631814
that does look stress related as it’s shattering around the edge rather than an impact point from a foreign object.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C300
I don't want to be the person that is hated by everyone but I have seen this happen plenty of times and every time it is because some genius decided to tint the sunroof glass. If you tint the sunroof it will shatter every time as the glass heats it expands and is fixed in a solid moulding. The other windows don't explode when tinted because they are either glued in place or bolted with rubber mounts.
Mercedes will not cover the issue because it is cause by user error and an installation of a after market product. It doesn't matter that the tint is dark or clear or just for UV it is still refracting light back upon it self and heat thus expanding glass beyond its normal recommended usage.
thats my rant over so let the hate flow if you want.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr_marko77:
AMG C43 3LV6 (08-29-2018), C_Class_Dad (04-06-2018), removedCFGaccount (04-04-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But from reading the entire thread not all cars have an interior tint/wrap?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:38 PM

2016 Mercedes C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
This is now a recall. So if you already paid it you should bring it back to MB to cover the cost.
Is it also a recall in Canada?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 PM

2015 GLK250
Mine too!

Originally Posted by Nancerella
On my way home about two weeks ago I heard a loud BANG and thought someone had shot my car. It was dark and raining. When I arrived home I got a flashlight and inspected the car. No visible damage. I’m 5’1” and it didn’t occur to me to even look at the roof. About a week or so later another big BOOM but this time I heard what sounded like sand sliding off the roof. I thought I’d been hit by a rock. Dark and rain again, but next AM we found the shattered glass. Farmers recommended Safelight who suggested I take the car to a local body shop for a “wrap” until they could get replacement glass. Needless to say with all the rain we get in Oregon in January, I took it to my MBZ dealer who repaired it (at my expense) and never mentioned the possibility that this was a MBZ issue. I’m waiting to hear if Farmers will cover the dealer repair. This is definitely a safety issue and someone needs to address it.
I have the exact same thing happened a few days ago driving from California to British Columbia. It was 39°C outside and Aircon inside. Suddenly there was a huge bang and we realized the sunroof centre portion had shattered.
2015 GLK250
I have the exact same thing happened a few days ago driving from California to British Columbia. It was 39°C outside and Aircon inside. Suddenly there was a huge bang and we realized the sunroof centre portion had shattered. Mercedes-Benz is claiming its from a rock chip but how can a rock chip the middle section of glass on the roof. I am sure it’s some kind of manufacturer defect that Mercedes is covering up.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 AM

C200 Coupe 2018
Exploding sunroof

Hi - my panoramic on C200 coupe 2018 exploded at 60 mph, yesterday. Very scary! I see in US that a class action is being undertaken - https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...roofs-shatter/ Does anyone know how this is progressing, or if similar being done in UK?

Presently waiting for MB dealer to advise - will report back on what they say.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They’ll probably say shattered through impact. Insurance job just like a windscreen.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:10 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
And it can't be down to hot weather since we didn't have that yesterday or the day before...
Old 11-03-2018, 02:31 AM

2016 C350e
Hi, it just happened to my C350e in my commute this morning. The panoramic sunroof just shattered with no warning. I am in the process of claiming it to my insurance. Anyone here in the US managed to claim warranty for this issue? If yes, how did you do it?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 PM

MB E200
Originally Posted by robertk21
So woke up yesterday morning to find that my PANORAMIC ROOF glass shattered with no signs of impact from anything dropping. Thankfully I had an inside tint installed so all the glass in tact and not all over the inside of my car. Will keep you guys posted on the repair process, already getting the run around from local dealers about getting a loaner during the holidays.
Same happen to me. After I check on the internet, found this and other multiple similar issues. When will MB get around to find out the root cause of explosion

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PANORAMIC ROOF Shattered