C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

How do I learn about cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk
How do I learn about cars

Hello,

New to this forum and so far, its great! So many people here are super knowledgeable about cars and I was wondering if there is some kind of class any of you know of that a normal person can take to get to know the basics of cars. I don't want to be a mechanic or anything. Just would like to be able to fix some basic things on my own. Or change my own oil. Any info helps.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Depends on how proficient you want to be. youtube has tons of videos about cars. I searched the words "oil change Mercedes" and I got lots of choices for ML350, which I own.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mercedes+ml350

Got lots of choices to watch. So I'd start in comfort of your own home and go from there. Also check around to see if there any adult schools that offer basic car care courses.

If you google "basic car care" lots of choices come up, many hosted by auto parts stores.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
I learned the hard way... by working on my own cars and sometimes making them worse! Luckily I had a few mechanic friends who let me help them out and learn by doing. Youtube and forums like this are great if you don't have friends or a garage of your own.

I also found this course (which is on sale for $15 right now) https://www.udemy.com/automobile-eng...-for-everyone/ I have used Udemy for a couple other classes (not car related) and it has been a good way to quickly learn a new skill. I have not taken this car class, but it could be a good way to blast through the basic fundamentals for you.
The following users liked this post:
chunkymonkey (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by pete_w
I learned the hard way... by working on my own cars and sometimes making them worse! Luckily I had a few mechanic friends who let me help them out and learn by doing. Youtube and forums like this are great if you don't have friends or a garage of your own.

I also found this course (which is on sale for $15 right now) https://www.udemy.com/automobile-eng...-for-everyone/ I have used Udemy for a couple other classes (not car related) and it has been a good way to quickly learn a new skill. I have not taken this car class, but it could be a good way to blast through the basic fundamentals for you.

The Udemy.com looks like just what I need. Thanks so much. I never heard of them before.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:29 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
well it helps when you know someone with a few tools and some shareable knowledge.

Take a look at youtube. There are endless amounts of entry-level car basics from brake calipers to spark plugs to wheels and tyres.