MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C Class (W205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/)
-   -   Upgrading headlights (C class W205, sedan) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/698460-upgrading-headlights-c-class-w205-sedan.html)

MBFTW_111 02-13-2018 05:35 AM

Upgrading headlights (C class W205, sedan)

Hello,

so I want to change the headlights on my C class W205, before I buy the LED headlights I had to be sure if that is even possible.
What's the process of upgrading from this:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...12af59c25b.png

To this:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7965cee41d.png

Will the headlights turn on slowly when I unlock my car like I've seen on internet?

Thank you!!!

Star4life 02-14-2018 01:43 PM

What country is your car? what model and year?

skim7x 02-14-2018 02:46 PM

Just fyi those headlights go for about $1000 each...

Star4life 02-14-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by skim7x (Post 7381165)
Just fyi those headlights go for about $1000 each...

they do but can be had second hand much cheaper.

Also the dealer charges $1900 for light package so if you got your car for a good deal you can still come out ahead. I am pursuing an oem upgrade right now, and I can tell you it is not going to be difficult. It isnt plug and play, but it is fairly straight forward. If you have static LED it is even easier especially for USA version.

I havent 100% confirmed yet but due to USA headlight restrictions on the ILS system, the level sensors on front and rear may not even be needed. Just headlights, a few wires added to current connector, camera in windshield.

My car luckily came with windshield that had camera space built in. For some, they would need to change windshield to get auto brights feature. But they could still install ILS to get lights and look.

MBFTW_111 02-15-2018 02:27 PM

I did some research and I do not want ILS headlights, static LED would be nice. I found couple of second hand ones going for 400€ - 500€ each.
My car is 2014 C220 cdi w205 and I live in Croatia but the car is from Germany. Are static LED headlights easier to install? I really want them because those headlights improve the overall look of the car a lot.

Star4life 02-15-2018 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by MBFTW_111 (Post 7382060)
I did some research and I do not want ILS headlights, static LED would be nice. I found couple of second hand ones going for 400€ - 500€ each.
My car is 2014 C220 cdi w205 and I live in Croatia but the car is from Germany. Are static LED headlights easier to install? I really want them because those headlights improve the overall look of the car a lot.

the amount of work to upgrade is essentially the same. the only difference is front level sensor connection and camera in windshield. If you already have spot for camera in windshield then I would do ILS. if you dont have spot in windshield for camera then staic is fine.

buy harness from here
https://www.kabeldaviko.de/product_i...e-631-632.html.

install rear level sensors and wires.

change headlight switch

install static headlights.

code IC, front sam, headlights, ignition module and and they should work.

a lot of connecions are same as ILS, so if you have windshield i would recommend doing ILS if you are already putting in all this work.

skim7x 02-15-2018 02:49 PM

If you wanted to upgrade from static LED to ILS, you would just need the ILS headlamps along with the motor modules, correct? And then just plug the headlamps in and have the dealership code in the ILS...

MBFTW_111 02-15-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7382066)
the amount of work to upgrade is essentially the same. the only difference is front level sensor connection and camera in windshield. If you already have spot for camera in windshield then I would do ILS. if you dont have spot in windshield for camera then staic is fine.

buy harness from here
https://www.kabeldaviko.de/product_i...e-631-632.html.

install rear level sensors and wires.

change headlight switch

install static headlights.

code IC, front sam, headlights, ignition module and and they should work.

a lot of connecions are same as ILS, so if you have windshield i would recommend doing ILS if you are already putting in all this work.

Thank you very much! :)

Star4life 02-15-2018 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by skim7x (Post 7382081)
If you wanted to upgrade from static LED to ILS, you would just need the ILS headlamps along with the motor modules, correct? And then just plug the headlamps in and have the dealership code in the ILS...

it depends where you are located. Are you in USA or another country?

skim7x 02-15-2018 04:32 PM

USA

Star4life 02-16-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by skim7x (Post 7382195)
USA

for USA model, I am currently researching, but from what I have found, I dont think US models use the level sensors. they just use the camera and other inputs from steeting column. And their level is based on a prefixed setting that is user adjustable like many have mentioned in threads.

Essentially, you upgrade headlights and control modules on the head light. Run 1 extra sam wire per unit. Run extra power per unit and put in camera in windshield (may need new windhsield depending on car you have) and then code and youd be done.

huyuci 02-25-2018 02:22 PM

If you have halogen lights, I don't think it's possible to upgrade to LED.

Star4life 02-25-2018 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by huyuci (Post 7390225)
If you have halogen lights, I don't think it's possible to upgrade to LED.

its possible.

just takes a lot more work than static led to ILS. All new wiring. and need to code.

huyuci 02-26-2018 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7390658)
its possible.

just takes a lot more work than static led to ILS. All new wiring. and need to code.

Did you actually get it to work? I tried, and even when I figured out the correct wire for everything, the current is not strong enough to support the DRL (this is after voltage boost). I had to wire them directly to the battery terminals. It may work at first, but it would intermittently turn themselves off.
Most of us don't have access to the coding anyway. And dealers would definitely say no to this kind of project.

Star4life 02-26-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by huyuci (Post 7390676)
Did you actually get it to work? I tried, and even when I figured out the correct wire for everything, the current is not strong enough to support the DRL (this is after voltage boost). I had to wire them directly to the battery terminals. It may work at first, but it would intermittently turn themselves off.
Most of us don't have access to the coding anyway. And dealers would definitely say no to this kind of project.

i looked through all of your headlight upgrade threads and applaud your effort. I am an electrical engineer and work in the automotive industry designing electrical systems for drive line. We actually supply to mercedes a few things :). So headlights are a breeze.

The first thing I did, was spent $60 for 24 hour access to mercedes startek info. this gave me access to all of the wiring diagrams needed for headlights :) Not to down what you did, but $60 would have saved you a whole lotta time rather than trying each individual pin and risking frying something.

I am debating whether to share these documents to everyone for free. Becuase not only did it take a little money, it took me hours to make my own pdf catalogue off all the headlight wiring assemblies and of everything they connect to with the legends. I also have a few others that people may be interested in :)

I only have 1 question I have not been able to figure out so far, and its not due to wiring diagrams. Mercedes does not specify the use of level sensors in the USA vs Europe vs asia etc. That is why I have been asking for pictures of peoples ILS headlight connectors, because I am trying to see if I can group certain cars with and without the level sensor wiring and make a pattern. But so far, in the USA, the level sensor wiring seems totally random. Some have it and some dont. But in the USA since we have "dumb" ILS, I do not think our cars use the level sensors, which makes this upgrade extrememly easy.

So anyway, for halogen to ILS

You must run all new wires. Must change headlight switch, must change headlights, then must code front sam, insturment cluster, and ignition switch control module. If you want a true ILS, you may or may not have to change windshield depending on if you haave a camera already or not, then you will need to run wiring to camera. All this does if give you the auto high beam. if you dont install the ils will function the same as static or halogen high beam.

Level sensors are TBD. But in the USA i do not think you need them. as far as I can tell, the usa models do not use this input. Its not an easy task, but if you know what you are doing the upgrade is not that difficult.

huyuci 02-26-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7390893)
i looked through all of your headlight upgrade threads and applaud your effort. I am an electrical engineer and work in the automotive industry designing electrical systems for drive line. We actually supply to mercedes a few things :). So headlights are a breeze.

The first thing I did, was spent $60 for 24 hour access to mercedes startek info. this gave me access to all of the wiring diagrams needed for headlights :) Not to down what you did, but $60 would have saved you a whole lotta time rather than trying each individual pin and risking frying something.

I am debating whether to share these documents to everyone for free. Becuase not only did it take a little money, it took me hours to make my own pdf catalogue off all the headlight wiring assemblies and of everything they connect to with the legends. I also have a few others that people may be interested in :)

I only have 1 question I have not been able to figure out so far, and its not due to wiring diagrams. Mercedes does not specify the use of level sensors in the USA vs Europe vs asia etc. That is why I have been asking for pictures of peoples ILS headlight connectors, because I am trying to see if I can group certain cars with and without the level sensor wiring and make a pattern. But so far, in the USA, the level sensor wiring seems totally random. Some have it and some dont. But in the USA since we have "dumb" ILS, I do not think our cars use the level sensors, which makes this upgrade extrememly easy.

So anyway, for halogen to ILS

You must run all new wires. Must change headlight switch, must change headlights, then must code front sam, insturment cluster, and ignition switch control module. If you want a true ILS, you may or may not have to change windshield depending on if you haave a camera already or not, then you will need to run wiring to camera. All this does if give you the auto high beam. if you dont install the ils will function the same as static or halogen high beam.

Level sensors are TBD. But in the USA i do not think you need them. as far as I can tell, the usa models do not use this input. Its not an easy task, but if you know what you are doing the upgrade is not that difficult.

It's great that you're an electrical engineer. Most of us do not have that expertise, so wiring diagram probably wouldn't make any difference to us :-). And for us laymen, coding would be a huge problem if this is to be a DIY.
All I wanted was for the lights to turn on, so even if it's static, it'll still be great. My wife's car has ILS, and to be honest, aside from being really bright, I couldn't notice the ILS function.
There's one issue I don't know how you're going to solve is that the source current for the DRL would not be stable. It seems it's not enough to power the DRL from time to time. My guess is because the original DRL led consumes much less power than the one in ILS, so I don't see a way to fix that.

Star4life 02-26-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by huyuci (Post 7391008)
It's great that you're an electrical engineer. Most of us do not have that expertise, so wiring diagram probably wouldn't make any difference to us :-). And for us laymen, coding would be a huge problem if this is to be a DIY.
All I wanted was for the lights to turn on, so even if it's static, it'll still be great. My wife's car has ILS, and to be honest, aside from being really bright, I couldn't notice the ILS function.
There's one issue I don't know how you're going to solve is that the source current for the DRL would not be stable. It seems it's not enough to power the DRL from time to time. My guess is because the original DRL led consumes much less power than the one in ILS, so I don't see a way to fix that.

you are thinking old school. Headlights no longer just take 12v and ground to work.

The ils and static led have control modules in them (microprocessors computers etc), thus everything is operated by the peripheral can bus network. Once power is distributed through the bus (2 ground and 1 power connector for static and 2 gorund and 2 power for ILS), the control modules light the led lights. The halogen lights are simply old school and run by putting power to them. There are dc to dc converters built in and all is handled at the headlight depending on can signal and front sam inputs.

You simply can not upgrade to static or ILS lights without coding. I use the term coding loosely because the code is already there in your ecu and modules. You just must enable and disable certain strings. sometimes minor writing is needed, but for this you are adjusting lines of code to enable them to do what you want. All you need is a Star diag system with vediamo to do it.

huyuci 02-26-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7391040)
you are thinking old school. Headlights no longer just take 12v and ground to work.

The ils and static led have control modules in them (microprocessors computers etc), thus everything is operated by the peripheral can bus network. Once power is distributed through the bus (2 ground and 1 power connector for static and 2 gorund and 2 power for ILS), the control modules light the led lights. The halogen lights are simply old school and run by putting power to them. There are dc to dc converters built in and all is handled at the headlight depending on can signal and front sam inputs.

You simply can not upgrade to static or ILS lights without coding. I use the term coding loosely because the code is already there in your ecu and modules. You just must enable and disable certain strings. sometimes minor writing is needed, but for this you are adjusting lines of code to enable them to do what you want. All you need is a Star diag system with vediamo to do it.

Yep. I'm very well aware of what you described. Although I don't know details of how it works, I know that it's control by the sam module. But like I said, I don't have access to the coding tool, so there was no choice for me to go the old school route :-)

Star4life 02-26-2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by huyuci (Post 7391062)
Yep. I'm very well aware of what you described. Although I don't know details of how it works, I know that it's control by the sam module. But like I said, I don't have access to the coding tool, so there was no choice for me to go the old school route :-)

where do you live? ali express has a lot of tools online for sale for reasonable prices.

huyuci 02-26-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7391086)
where do you live? ali express has a lot of tools online for sale for reasonable prices.

Yeah. But the problem is, I wouldn't know where to start when I get a hold of one :-). All of this is easy for you because this is what you do. You really got me intrigued in doing this the right way. But I went over what you described earlier and it's just beyond me.

Star4life 03-02-2018 11:31 AM

ill be making a how to thread that will enable anyone to be able to do the upgrades. The halogen is a lot more involved but possible.

Mbracer26 03-02-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7394592)
ill be making a how to thread that will enable anyone to be able to do the upgrades. The halogen is a lot more involved but possible.

When you do so, it will solve alot of headaches. I spent hours and hours fitting in different (18) LED light bulbs inside of the halogen housing trying to see which one gives off the best cut off line and brightness. ended up taking them out even though it was ok, but not just as good as the halogens brightness and distance.

row2k 03-25-2018 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7394592)

would you be able to say if the coding is something that a dealer can do if the a halogen to static led retrofit is done with something like the KabelDaviko harness or is it more custom and requires a DIY coder to complete? Ultimately I suppose I'm asking if there is someone to turn to in order to get the coding done or is the best solution to get the coding tools and do it yourself? I'm coming from the BMW world where "coders" are everywhere...there's probably 3 within 50 miles of me I can reach out to in order to get something like this done. I don't know if the MB world is similar.

Star4life 03-28-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by row2k (Post 7413738)
would you be able to say if the coding is something that a dealer can do if the a halogen to static led retrofit is done with something like the KabelDaviko harness or is it more custom and requires a DIY coder to complete? Ultimately I suppose I'm asking if there is someone to turn to in order to get the coding done or is the best solution to get the coding tools and do it yourself? I'm coming from the BMW world where "coders" are everywhere...there's probably 3 within 50 miles of me I can reach out to in order to get something like this done. I don't know if the MB world is similar.

a dealer *may* be able to do it. but unless they can add to your vedoc to get code from Daimler, they must hard code through vediamo or dts monaco. they will most likely charge a pretty penny to do this. and keep in mind this is only if you install all the hardware. but if they cant get it in a reasonable amount of time or if you did something wrong, you will most likely get turned away and be out a lot of money.

if you are USA based, I have almost verified, that we do not use the level sensors for our headlights. so wiring is much easier. the kabel daviko harness is probably your best bet still but you will not need all the wires as he says.

i would buy a knock off sds from ali express and pay someone to code it. mhha auto has a lot of people on there and info. Once i do mine id be willing to help you out as well. but i havent done it yet so not ready to commit. but i have laid the road map out and its not too bad. the halogen to any of the led is much more involved.

huyuci 03-28-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7416025)
a dealer *may* be able to do it. but unless they can add to your vedoc to get code from Daimler, they must hard code through vediamo or dts monaco. they will most likely charge a pretty penny to do this. and keep in mind this is only if you install all the hardware. but if they cant get it in a reasonable amount of time or if you did something wrong, you will most likely get turned away and be out a lot of money.

if you are USA based, I have almost verified, that we do not use the level sensors for our headlights. so wiring is much easier. the kabel daviko harness is probably your best bet still but you will not need all the wires as he says.

i would buy a knock off sds from ali express and pay someone to code it. mhha auto has a lot of people on there and info. Once i do mine id be willing to help you out as well. but i havent done it yet so not ready to commit. but i have laid the road map out and its not too bad. the halogen to any of the led is much more involved.

Seems like you've been on this endeavor since last year. Are you not making any progress?