C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

48 hours of ownership -- 10 newbie questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
48 hours of ownership -- 10 newbie questions

Thanks for your patience. I'll number my questions.

1) It looks as though I can set automatic climate-control settings by temperature, but then I have to also decide when/if to put on the AC? If I leave the AC on all the time, will it stop cooling when the interior is the right temperature? (And is there a reason they made those switch indicator lights red?)

2) Is there any way to make the orange passenger-side airbag indicator text go away?

3) The map is cool on the screen, but do I have to switch away from it whenever I want to change tracks on a CD or MP3 player?

4) Is there any way to listen to music while the screen is off? I'm thinking long nighttime trips might be more relaxing without the screen.

5) Let's say I take the car to a car wash where it is pulled through the wash in neutral. Do I really have to switch to a key and explain everything to the car wash people?

6) Is there really a substantial difference between the Comfort Mode and Sports Modes? I can feel the shift points changing, but not much more that that. Should I feel suspension differences?

7) On dry pavement, is there any noticeable driving difference between the RWD and 4Matic versions? I drove both, bought the 4Matic, but haven't really noticed it. (Haven't tried drifting.)

8) Can I adjust the volume on the navigation? Can I make that woman's voice go away?

9) The dial is great. Is there any compelling reason I will ever prefer the touchpad?

10) Is there any way to adjust the brightness of the row of overhead LED lights that come on when the door opens?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300 2015 VW TDI Golf 2006 MINI S
1. I leave my A/C on all the time, summer and winter. Salesman recommended t that way and i just left it.
3. I think you can change the center console menu to Music Menu and switch it there.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C300
4) You can go to options and turn the screen off.

6) Definitely. The throttle response changes and it shifts way harder. There will only be height difference if you have the airmatic package.

Last edited by HansonXD; 02-14-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C300
Sorry double post.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 265 Likes on 181 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Car wash - just leave it in neutral with motor running and enjoy being pulled through. I’d also turn off the automatic wipers and parking sensors if you have them.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 C43 AMG
Add on to 3) you can just press the skip button on your mouse pad and it will pop up the menu for your music
Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
8 - when she's talking quickly adjust the volume. To silence, hit the mute button when she's talking. I think it comes back on the next time you start the car. I'm not sure if the volume automatically readjusts on a restart.
9 - did you use a laptop without a mouse? It can be switched off and used as a hand rest...
Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 PM

Thanks, everyone. That little button at the bottom of the touchpad brings up the music info -- which is great. All of the answers are helpful, so far.

I'm guessing the fact that I have orange text about the passenger side airbag is not normal?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:59 PM

Is this yellow/orange text about the passenger side airbag supposed to be always illuminated? (To the right of the clock, below the hazard-lights triangle.)

Old 02-16-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
C400
I believe that airbag light turns off when someone sits in the passenger seat. When it’s on it means the airbag is disabled.

Alex
Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Not mine. When I have a passenger, it goes from telling me the airbag is off to telling me it's on. But the text is always there. I'm just wondering if that's supposed to be the case.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 265 Likes on 181 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen
Not mine. When I have a passenger, it goes from telling me the airbag is off to telling me it's on. But the text is always there. I'm just wondering if that's supposed to be the case.
Yes, it's normal. Another example of lawyers and the govt nanny state inserting nonsense to "protect" us.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4matic
To summarize :

1) It looks as though I can set automatic climate-control settings by temperature, but then I have to also decide when/if to put on the AC? If I leave the AC on all the time, will it stop cooling when the interior is the right temperature? (And is there a reason they made those
switch switch
indicator lights red?)
Ans: ??

2) Is there any way to make the orange passenger-side airbag indicator text go away?
Ans: Only when a passenger sits in the car.

3) The map is cool on the screen, but do I have to switch away from it whenever I want to change tracks on a CD or MP3 player?
Ans: Use the touchpad Next button to bring it up.

4) Is there any way to listen to music while the screen is off? I'm thinking long nighttime trips might be more relaxing without the screen.
Ans: Options -> Screen off

5) Let's say I take the car to a car wash where it is pulled through the wash in neutral. Do I really have to
switch switch
to a key and explain everything to the car wash people?
Ans: I don't think they will bother you if you clearly explain to them that you are in neutral.

6) Is there really a substantial difference between the Comfort Mode and Sports Modes? I can feel the shift points changing, but not much more that that. Should I feel
suspension suspension
differences?
Ans: Yes. The gear shifts are the most noticeable change. The suspension becomes stiffer but I doubt you can notice it in a straight line ( FYI, I have never noticed it any different)

7) On dry pavement, is there any noticeable driving difference between the RWD and 4Matic versions? I drove both, bought the 4Matic, but haven't really noticed it. (Haven't tried drifting.)
Ans: No answer yet

8) Can I adjust the volume on the navigation? Can I make that woman's voice go away?
Ans: Yes, there is . To change the volume as per the manual:
"During traffic or navigation announcements: Turn the thumbwheel to the right of the controller. or Press + or - on the multifunction steering wheel."
"To switch off navigation announcements: during a navigation announcement, press the thumbwheel to the right of the controller" or
Press the mute button on the multifunction steering wheel during a navigation message

9) The dial is great. Is there any compelling reason I will ever prefer the touchpad?
Ans: Yes, I enjoy the dial more. But it's good for changing radio stations when on the move. And someday I plan to use it for entering addresses.

10) Is there any way to adjust the brightness of the row of overhead
LED LED
lights that come on when the
door door
opens?
Ans: Not aware of this.

Last edited by OdinIsIn; 02-20-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 161 Likes on 103 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Originally Posted by OdinIsIn
To summarize :

1) It looks as though I can set automatic climate-control settings by temperature, but then I have to also decide when/if to put on the AC? If I leave the AC on all the time, will it stop cooling when the interior is the right temperature? (And is there a reason they made those switch indicator lights red?)
Ans: ??

Ans: Only when a passenger sits in the car.

Ans: Use the touchpad Next button to bring it up.

Ans: Options -> Screen off

5) Let's say I take the car to a car wash where it is pulled through the wash in neutral. Do I really have to switch to a key and explain everything to the car wash people?
Ans: I don't think they will bother you if you clearly explain to them that you are in neutral.

6) Is there really a substantial difference between the Comfort Mode and Sports Modes? I can feel the shift points changing, but not much more that that. Should I feel suspension differences?
Ans: Yes. The gear shifts are the most noticeable change. The suspension becomes stiffer but I doubt you can notice it in a straight line ( FYI, I have never noticed it any different)

Ans: No answer yet

Ans: Yes, there is . To change the volume as per the manual:
"During traffic or navigation announcements: Turn the thumbwheel to the right of the controller. or Press + or - on the multifunction steering wheel."
"To switch off navigation announcements: during a navigation announcement, press the thumbwheel to the right of the controller" or
Press the mute button on the multifunction steering wheel during a navigation message

Ans: Yes, I enjoy the dial more. But it's good for changing radio stations when on the move. And someday I plan to use it for entering addresses.

10) Is there any way to adjust the brightness of the row of overhead LED lights that come on when the door opens?
Ans: Not aware of this.
1) The vehicle will try to get to and then maintain the temperature you set. A vehicle is not like a home or office HVAC system, it can run the A/C compressor and still pass the air through the heater core. This will dehumidify the air but keep it at the right temperature, and should provide the most comfort. Leave the A/C on, set the temperature you want, and forget it forever.

3) In addition to what you have, as noted by @crankster, you can use the dash display for music as well. That's what I do when I have the map on the screen. I don't play CDs, so don't know how it works, but I control the favortie stations using the steering wheel controls and the gauge cluster display.

6) The power steering assist also changes between the modes, and I believe you get 2nd gear start in Eco and Comfort and 1st in sport/sport +. Note that suspension changes are only available with the Airmatic or the AMG versions.

7) Depending upon how sensitive of a driver you are, the feel between AWD and RWD is a little different. The AWD in the non 43/450 versions is definitely meant for improved traction in bad weather more than for handling purposes. It's not like the car has so much power you'll need the AWD to put it to the ground
Old 02-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Thanks, everyone!

I'm still not clear if I'm supposed to have orange airbag text on the display whether there's a passenger or not. I've read about the weight-sensing thing in the passenger seat needing to be recalibrated. Maybe I've got an issue; maybe not.

I suspect the only suspension changes the agility modes change are the ones inside my head. I don't have the air suspension. It does maybe 'feel' a little different -- but the placebo effect might explain that.

Oddly, I'm more sensitive to suspension and RWD/AWD issues than most, since I work as a driving coach for Porsche at their Experience Center here in Los Angeles. On low-friction surfaces, the difference between RWD and AWD are very clear. Drifting a RWD car versus an AWD car is a completely different project. But in the dry, whether it's a 911 C4 or my new C300 4Matic, I'll admit I don't feel the front-wheel stuff happening at all. But then, I haven't driven this Mercedes in any sort of an aggressive way at all.

Here's a glimpse of what that day job looks like, if anyone is curious:

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 02-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Hope this helps.

1) It looks as though I can set automatic climate-control settings by temperature, but then I have to also decide when/if to put on the AC? If I leave the AC on all the time, will it stop cooling when the interior is the right temperature? (And is there a reason they made those switch indicator lights red?) = This is part of the Mercedes demisting system. There is no way to avoid the A/C from turning on as that is part of the demisting and humidity system. You have to manually control or just turn off the A/C and leave it in auto to just manage heat.

2) Is there any way to make the orange passenger-side airbag indicator text go away? = No, this is used to let you know that the system is aware that no one is in your passenger seat and that it's working properly.

3) The map is cool on the screen, but do I have to switch away from it whenever I want to change tracks on a CD or MP3 player? Yes, you can control the music in the info screen on the dash.

4) Is there any way to listen to music while the screen is off? I'm thinking long nighttime trips might be more relaxing without the screen. Yes, you can turn the screen off by going to Display Settings and turning off the Display.

5) Let's say I take the car to a car wash where it is pulled through the wash in neutral. Do I really have to switch to a key and explain everything to the car wash people? Yes, the minute you open the door to get out, the car will engage the parking brake.

6) Is there really a substantial difference between the Comfort Mode and Sports Modes? I can feel the shift points changing, but not much more that that. Should I feel suspension differences? I don't see the reason for even having a Sport setting when Sport+ makes a big difference. Just skip Sport and put it into Sport+ for fun.

7) On dry pavement, is there any noticeable driving difference between the RWD and 4Matic versions? I drove both, bought the 4Matic, but haven't really noticed it. (Haven't tried drifting.) Sorry, can't answer this since in Canada why only sell the 4matic system.

8) Can I adjust the volume on the navigation? Can I make that woman's voice go away? Yes, the only time you can lower or raise the voice or even take it away is when you are navigating. When she speaks, just turn the volume down and it will also turn her down.

9) The dial is great. Is there any compelling reason I will ever prefer the touchpad? That is up to preference.

10) Is there any way to adjust the brightness of the row of overhead LED lights that come on when the door opens? If you have the option in the tablet screen you can control the brightness of the accent lights but not the main dome lights. You can turn off the back seat lights which will dim the interior a bit.