C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Another W205 phone mount idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Another W205 phone mount idea

I did a search and saw some different ideas for this. Until/unless I can get CarPlay working with this car, I'm going to want to have access to my phone.

As criteria for a solution, I'd rather have it not block anything else on the dash, and I'd like to be able to charge the phone while I'm driving. I tried one CD-slot-based mount, and I didn't like the amount of stuff it blocked, like the clock. So I poked around a little on Amazon, looking at the different designs, and this one stuck out to me. The 'old version' was like the one I'd already purchased, but the 'new version' seemed to have a 90° rotation option that gave me an idea.

Here is where I saw a viable location. To the right of my leg, there's a fair amount of room. And the gap under the center facia is a little bit like a CD slot.

So I ordered one, and today I was able to confirm that its ball joint would allow it to turn that much.

The only problem was that the slot-filling part of the mount was about 2mm too long. See the gap when it's in there?

That really wouldn't alter its function in any way. But I've got a sander, so I shaved it down. (Goodbye, 2mm gap.)

Here it is in place. It's a magnetic mount. It doesn't interfere with the cup-holder door opening, and it doesn't get in the way of anything else.

So far, so good. I'll try it for a few days and report back.

The mount is $20 at Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 02-21-2018 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BD-C63 (02-21-2018)