C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Back Up Camera Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Back Up Camera Kit

So I’m thinking of installing and aftermarket back up camera kit for my ‘15C300. I found one online on Amazon from Carsgadget. They also have their own website. I was wondering if anyone has installed one of these or even heard of someone using it. I’ll post the link at the bottom. If I decide to purchase and install I’ll post the results. Thx.

https://www.carsgadget.com/product-p...mera-interface
Old 06-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300 Sport (Wife's)
Just installed it last week. Works like a champ. Took about 3 hours but I could probably do it in 2 if I had to install another one.

That silver piece to get at the bolts for the center console was a bit frustrating and disassembling the trunk latch was a bit of a head scratcher but other than that, easy install. I didn't even remove the wires from the center console, I just laid it sideways. There was plenty of room to work and the wires weren't strained too bad.

I had a few questions before I purchased and the seller responded very quickly to emails.

I bought the front camera too but I'm still deciding if I want to deal with it. I think I'd need to pull the grill to do it right and if I dig that deep into it, I'd probably swap the grill to something different as well...
Old 06-13-2018, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I tried to get them send me the instructions before I purchased to see what the install involves but they wouldn’t send them. I have changed out my center console so I know what u mean about the silver piece. Gotta buy this kit now. Thx again.

Last edited by GreekUPS; 06-13-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM

2015 C300 Sport (Wife's)
Sent you a PM with some more info...

Their instructions use a GLK350 in the pictures so they aren't specific to the C300 for taking the console out and getting at the trunk latch or any of the cable routing.

They do a great job of detailing where things plug in at though. It's a super simple install as far as that piece. I had it plugged in and working to test the cameras within 5 minutes of getting the console apart.

The rest of the time is spent running the cable and tearing the trunk apart.

This link was a good starting point but as I said, I didn't need to unplug the wires from the console and since he didn't use a latch with the integrated camera, he doesn't get into how that trunk latch comes apart. I'm probably blowing it out of proportion to actual difficulty. The trick on the trunk latch is to pull the black plastic cover that sits under the chrome strip straight down. I had to remove the license plate bracket to get this trim piece off...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...install-2.html

Editing to add that my car is Audio 20 with Burmester. Command shouldn't be terribly different though...

Last edited by cschwartz; 06-13-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additional info...
Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM

I have the same Audio 20. Just ordered the kit. Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:40 PM

Well I installed this back up camera kit. Camera works great. But now my Sat radio is saying Device Unavailable. FM radio doesn’t work either. Also can’t hear anything when making phone call with Bluetooth. Basically the speakers aren’t working. Any info will be great. Thx.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 AM

2015 C300 Sport (Wife's)
Something isn’t plugged in right. Make sure the connector is seated all the way and the fiber optic cable is in the right position.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:55 AM

It was the fiber optics. I had them in the wrong way. Everything works great. Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 and BMW 328i E90 LCI
Any one of you care to write up a detailed DIY for us other folks? I would love to buy this kit if i had the right instructions, especially the tricky steps and how did you navigate around those. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 AM

2015 C300 Sport (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Krypton
Any one of you care to write up a detailed DIY for us other folks? I would love to buy this kit if i had the right instructions, especially the tricky steps and how did you navigate around those. Thanks in advance.
I did the install after work one evening so I was on a limited timeframe and couldn't document everything. If you read through the other link I posted, that will get the center console and head unit out. From there, the kit includes instructions on how to connect the cables.

Routing the wire to the camera(s) is just a matter of common sense. That link shows you how to remove the cover under the glove box which will give you access to run the cable behind the carpet on the passenger side footwell. The door trim at the carpet in the front pops right up so that part is easy.

Door trim in the rear area was a little more stubborn but the wire is thin so it was easy to just pry it back and shove it under.

To fish it through to the trunk, I ran it up along the side of the passenger rear seat and used some fiberglass rods to push it through to the opening where the rear hinge is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...kit-65326.html

For removing all of the push clips that hold the trunk lid liner on, I just used a small screwdriver to pry the clip up enough to get a pair for needle nose pliers under it and pry the clips out. I was able to reuse everything so if you take your time, you shouldn't damage anything...

Once the trunk lid liner is loose (8 clips), you need to disconnect the emergency release button wire and then you can set the whole thing to the side.

At this point you can see the original handle and the nuts that hold it in place. I think they were 10mm but they could have been 8. Either way, it's a common size... That trunk release also has a wire that needs to be disconnected.

This next part was the "trickiest" but it wasn't rocket science. It was getting late and I was on bourbon #3 so it took me a minute of prying around on things to figure it out...

Once you get the handle unbolted and the cable disconnected, you'll see that the handle won't just drop out of there. There's a long black plastic piece under the chrome strip that runs horizontally across the trunk lid. That needs to be removed to get the original handle out. I had to remove the license plate bracket to give it enough room to drop down. You'll see what I assume are some little vent holes to let water out. If you put a small screw driver in there and pry down, you'll get the black piece to pop loose which will let you pull the original handle completely out.

Once the handle is out, just unscrew the original trunk button and screw into the new handle with integrated camera and reverse the process. Use a couple of the supplied zip ties to secure the new camera cable to the existing cables that run to the passenger side trunk hinge. Route the camera cable out the back of the hinge and plug it in to the cable you fished through from the main unit. Plug it up, test, tape up the connection and put the rest of the trunk back together...

That's as detailed as I can get without tearing it all apart just to take pics. It's really not that hard and if you get stuck, you can probably find a video on youtube to show you the center console removal & tearing apart the trunk.

I'm from Louisiana and I was able to figure it out so pretty much anyone should be able to do this!
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Ditto on what cschwartz posted. Great instructions. Not too difficult to install although I ran into a hiccup after install. My radio wasn’t working so I had to go back into center console and switch out a connection I missed. Everything works just fine now and the camera kit is quite nice. The kit comes with a y shaped trim tool which works well on all of the liner clips. Also I didn’t unplug my battery because I couldn’t figure out how, lol. Lots of wires going into that thing. Not sure it matters but I figured out the install in 3 hours and i’m from NY. Cschwartz was helpful and I’m always hopping onto this site if u need help with install. Or u could take it to Best Buy geek squad for a $150 install.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 and BMW 328i E90 LCI
I am thinking of buying this kit after reading all the great reviews. Do you guys recommend this over the gzcarphone kit? A lot of members here have been buying products from gzcarphone so just want to make the best purchase! Also, is it easy to do the DIY and to figure out the installation instructions? This is my wife's car and if something goes wrong she is going to kill me hahaha!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:10 PM

You can do it!!! The install isn’t so bad. This was my first ever electrical type install on any car I’ve ever owned and I figured it out. You basically have to remove the trunk lid liner, black plastic trim on trunk handle, and center console. The head unit is pretty easy to take out as well. Running the wires from head unit to trunk was easy peasy. Basically tuck under trim. Give yourself 2-4 hours.

As as far as Gzcarphone, I don’t know much about them. I know the carsgadget people are in Cali and they responded to my emails on Sat after 5pm and on Sun (Father’s Day). I’m pretty sure it was the owner, Eugene. I had an issue with no sound out of the speakers which was totally my fault. I missed the step where you have to transfer the optical wires from OEM wire to the main connector of aftermarket wires. BTW price went up $25 since last week.

Edit: Just checked out the GZcarphone back up kit. Their camera is motorized, it’s hidden and slide out when car is put into reverse. Carsgadget is always out, not motorized. Other than that they seem pretty similar. No price for GZ’s kit though.

Last edited by GreekUPS; 06-22-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Edge
not all 2015 equipped with back up camera, is it real?
I thought all cars started equip with back up cameras since 2013-2014
Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by t0lkman
not all 2015 equipped with back up camera, is it real?
I thought all cars started equip with back up cameras since 2013-2014
Not my ‘15. I have Audio 20, Parktronic, and the parking sensors. I wonder if that’s why they didn’t bother equipping the rear cam.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 AM

2015 C300 Sport (Wife's)
From what I gather, there was a shortage of cameras at one point so they just reduced the price of Premium 1 by $500 and omitted it from the description.

But yes, clearly there are 2015's without cameras...

As for this CarsGadget vs. gzcarphone, the fixed mount is my preference. Less to break and it's easy to just wipe with your finger if it gets dirty....
The following users liked this post:
t0lkman (06-28-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300 2015
Hi guys, can you give me and idea of who can install the kit if I buy from Carsgadget, I do not have any idea of how to do it my self. I went to Best Buy Geek with info about a OEM Integrated systme W205 and they told me that it will not work and they didn't give me any alternatives. I really want to install a backup camera in my C300 2015

Old 07-30-2018, 12:05 PM

2015 C300 Sport (Wife's)
Any car stereo installer shop can do it.

I don't know squat about it and it only took 3 hours. Shouldn't be very expensive to have them do it for you...
Marta (08-02-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:21 PM

Yup, what Cswartz said. Where are u located? Tint/Car Stereo place can do it.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Mercedes C300 2015
I'm in Myrtle Beach SC. It's very tempting what you say about doing it myself but I'm afraid.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Mercedes C300 2015
To be sure this backup camera Interface from Carsgadget will work in a Mercedes C300 2015, correct? What does NTG4.5 COMAND or Audio 20 Radios mean? and how do I know which one does my car has?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Audio 20 is the smaller size screen of 7 inches, the COMAND screen is bigger. About 8.5 inches. Not sure why best buy told you it wouldn't work.

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=ste...le+Beach%2C+SC

Last edited by GreekUPS; 08-01-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Marta (08-02-2018)
Old 03-06-2023, 06:37 PM

mercedes c class w205 c200
same issue

Originally Posted by GreekUPS
Ditto on what cschwartz posted. Great instructions. Not too difficult to install although I ran into a hiccup after install. My radio wasn’t working so I had to go back into center console and switch out a connection I missed. Everything works just fine now and the camera kit is quite nice. The kit comes with a y shaped trim tool which works well on all of the liner clips. Also I didn’t unplug my battery because I couldn’t figure out how, lol. Lots of wires going into that thing. Not sure it matters but I figured out the install in 3 hours and i’m from NY. Cschwartz was helpful and I’m always hopping onto this site if u need help with install. Or u could take it to Best Buy geek squad for a $150 install.
What was the issue I have the same problem but can’t seem to find the problem ?

Old 03-06-2023, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by samsi
What was the issue I have the same problem but can’t seem to find the problem ?
I had an issue with no sound out of the speakers which was totally my fault. I missed the step where you have to transfer the optical wires from OEM wire to the main connector of aftermarket wires.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:02 PM

mercedes c class w205 c200
Issue

I had an issue with no sound out of the speakers which was totally my fault. I missed the step where you have to transfer the optical wires from OEM wire to the main connector of aftermarket wires.

do you have a picture of it ? Do you have to unplug the main harness and transfer it to the aftermarket harness ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera Kit