C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300’s reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
C300’s reliability?

I am about to purchase a 2015 C300 with 45k miles on my question is how is the reliability on them? Anything specific I should look for? Coming from a bmw maintenance on it wasn’t too bad up until 130k miles+ any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by Eddiee07
I am about to purchase a 2015 C300 with 45k miles on my question is how is the reliability on them? Anything specific I should look for? Coming from a bmw maintenance on it wasn’t too bad up until 130k miles+ any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.
Some ‘15s have issues with the wrist pin. I wouldn’t purchase the car if it does.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:57 PM

W205
Originally Posted by GreekUPS

Some ‘15s have issues with the wrist pin. I wouldn’t purchase the car if it does.
heard it was only with 2015 models assembled before April 20th? The assembly of the one I was looking at was may so should be in the clear but regardless i’ll keep an out out for that thank you
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 4matic
Reliability

Wouldn’t listen to those that say the wrist pin is an issue.had mine replaced and cars run great past 4K Miles. Got 36mpg according to onboard computer my last trip. Definitely ditch the Runflats if you can. Make the car ride like a tank every bump you hit feels like the car will explode.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by Njriedel25
Wouldn’t listen to those that say the wrist pin is an issue.had mine replaced and cars run great past 4K Miles. Got 36mpg according to onboard computer my last trip. Definitely ditch the Runflats if you can. Make the car ride like a tank every bump you hit feels like the car will explode.
I have had the wrist pin fixed about 3k miles ago. Bought the car in Feb after my other car was totaled. Didn’t have time to research. Wrist pin fix had my car at dealership for 3 weeks. Car runs great now but how comfortable do I feel that my engine was opened up? Not too comfy. So I extended CPO warranty to 2022.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:27 AM

W205
appreciate the feedback! I usually do ditch the runflats car rides too rough with them
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 C 300 4MATIC
Just make sure you have a warranty during the length of your ownership and you'll be fine. This is not the type of car you can drive to 100k by simply changing the oil and doing routine maintenance.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:10 PM

W205
Originally Posted by Up_Not_Down
Just make sure you have a warranty during the length of your ownership and you'll be fine. This is not the type of car you can drive to 100k by simply changing the oil and doing routine maintenance.
what does the warranty look like with mb? I know with bmw’s they offer a 100k mile warranty if purchasing a CPO. Not to familiar with the way MB’s works
Old 07-06-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 C 300 4MATIC

what does the warranty look like with mb? I know with bmw’s they offer a 100k mile warranty if purchasing a CPO. Not to familiar with the way MB’s works
With MB CPO you get an extra year and unlimited miles on top of the standard 4yr/50k miles warranty.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 PM

W205
Originally Posted by Up_Not_Down
With MB CPO you get an extra year and unlimited miles on top of the standard 4yr/50k miles warranty.
not too bad thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I've had two 2015 C300's. The first went back with a “trade assist” from MB-USA because it was close to meeting lemon law requirements. I still have the second one with 33,000 miles on it now. It has not been trouble free, but much better than the first one.

My car was diagnosed with the wrist pin issue and repaired under warranty. It ran fine before the fix, and runs fine now. The issue, according to MB, is about engine noise and does not effect the function or durability of the engine. It's as noisy now as it was before, so the fix was more about peace of mind than anything else.

The C Class gets poor marks for reliability in every survey I've seen, so it is anything but a trouble free car. In my case, I was given a 7 year/70k extended warranty with my replacement car. Without that, I would have traded by now for another brand. It is a good car, and I enjoy driving it. It also is very economical for an AWD sedan, and has a stylish and comfortable interior. Sad to say, I find the build quality lacking and that has had a negative impact on the ownership experience.

BTW, I recently replaced the OEM runflats with Michelin all seasons, and the ride and handling are noticeably improved.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM

W205
Originally Posted by StanNH
I've had two 2015 C300's. The first went back with a “trade assist” from MB-USA because it was close to meeting lemon law requirements. I still have the second one with 33,000 miles on it now. It has not been trouble free, but much better than the first one.

My car was diagnosed with the wrist pin issue and repaired under warranty. It ran fine before the fix, and runs fine now. The issue, according to MB, is about engine noise and does not effect the function or durability of the engine. It's as noisy now as it was before, so the fix was more about peace of mind than anything else.

The C Class gets poor marks for reliability in every survey I've seen, so it is anything but a trouble free car. In my case, I was given a 7 year/70k extended warranty with my replacement car. Without that, I would have traded by now for another brand. It is a good car, and I enjoy driving it. It also is very economical for an AWD sedan, and has a stylish and comfortable interior. Sad to say, I find the build quality lacking and that has had a negative impact on the ownership experience.

BTW, I recently replaced the OEM runflats with Michelin all seasons, and the ride and handling are noticeably improved.
appreciate the feedback man thanks!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
2015 C Class

appreciate the feedback man thanks!
As you are finding out, MY2015 was not a stellar year for the W205 C Class. It was after all the first year of production for this then brand new car in a brand new plant in Alabama. MY2016 saw some noticeable improvements: for example, no more oozing MBTex/Artico upholstery during specific cold climate conditions, no more huge gaps around the rear tail lights, etc. If your budget can handle it, I would suggest that you look for a late MY2016 or even a MY2017.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
W205 C300 Sport Iridium Silver RWD
Dangerous statement here...to Discourage a OP from listening to anyone but you. I have had the wrist pin repair performed twice do to a poor job the first go around at a well known Merc dealership. Have had several problems with my 15, all resolved at this point but I have owned the car for 7 months now and only been able to drive it for a total of 4.5 at best. I would at this point avoid 15's in their entirety.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
W205 C300 Sport Iridium Silver RWD
Originally Posted by StanNH

I was able to largely rid myself of the "noise" all together by having the dealership replace the high pressure pump when they did the second wrist pin repair. I was given a similar extended warranty to sooth the pain, withgout it, I would have abandoned the car entirely. You can still hear the injectors when the car is cold but much more pleasant after the HPP replacement. Also had all glass replaced with acoustic glass, new door panels and top half of the dash to eradicate the many rattles...but it still rattles.