MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C Class (W205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/)
-   -   Poor Service Experience (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/715106-poor-service-experience.html)

Cbc200 07-23-2018 05:11 PM

Poor Service Experience

Just thought I would have a vent about the poor service I received from a Mercedes dealership at the weekend.

Took my car in for a service A on Saturday and left it in till today as there was a recall (coolant pipe needed replacing).

I mentioned a couple of issues with the car (only 9 months old) and the service managers attitude was appalling.

Firstly, the windscreen washer jets haven't been working for about a month, decided to wait till the service to get them sorted.

Expecting him to just say, ok we will have a look at them to find out what the issue is - however, first thing he came out with was "well they may be blocked if you haven't been using the genuine Mercedes washer fluid" to which I replied, "well no I haven't but I don't use the cheap stuff and usually use autoglym windscreen wash" - now I have used this in my last two Mercedes with no issues. In the end I was charged £80 to unblock the "gunk" that was blocking the tube.

Next issue - I have been experiencing a few small issues with the gearbox (9G tronic). It's a bit hesitant and occasionally the shift from 3-2 is a bit rough - so I asked if there were any gearbox updates.

Well apparently I should have purchased the C250d which has bit more power than the C200 petrol (not really addressing the problem, power isn't the issue).

Picked the car up today for a different service guy to tell me that the front and rear brake pads are 30% worn - I asked how can that be as the rear pads were only replaced last week (this confused him) - he walked to the car with me and agreed that the rear pads were new and agreed to change the service record.

So now I am wondering if they actually checked and what else they could have missed!

Drove the car home and checked the oil - way too full - past the max marker on the dipstick and was actually about half a centimetre up the metal part of the dipstick...

All in all not too happy!

A2thek 07-23-2018 08:17 PM

May i ask which dealership you went to? (to be sure to avoid it).
My experience with mercedes has always been great, and they should be treating you like a king.

Did you speak with the Service Advisor or Service Manager? The Service Manager is the one to go to Before going to corporate, to settle your grievances. I’d be most pissed with your treatment(their attitude) and especially marking 30% wear on new brakes....Makes me wonder if you should overview all their checklists together just to verify everything’s legit, and to piss them off/waste their time like they tried to waste your hard earned money.
I was told by friends who worked mercedes service centers, that their performance review survey, which is emailed to you later, is big on their pay or bonus or something, so be sure to advise the tech who you talked to what’s up...
If all fails from the Service Manager to make them earn your trust, call corporate and complain like an insulted billionaire...

Cbc200 07-24-2018 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by A2thek (Post 7509527)
May i ask which dealership you went to? (to be sure to avoid it).
My experience with mercedes has always been great, and they should be treating you like a king.

Did you speak with the Service Advisor or Service Manager? The Service Manager is the one to go to Before going to corporate, to settle your grievances. I’d be most pissed with your treatment(their attitude) and especially marking 30% wear on new brakes....Makes me wonder if you should overview all their checklists together just to verify everything’s legit, and to piss them off/waste their time like they tried to waste your hard earned money.
I was told by friends who worked mercedes service centers, that their performance review survey, which is emailed to you later, is big on their pay or bonus or something, so be sure to advise the tech who you talked to what’s up...
If all fails from the Service Manager to make them earn your trust, call corporate and complain like an insulted billionaire...

I am in the U.K. - I won’t name it just yet as I have complained to customer service - once this is resolved I will happily name the dealership.

I suspect that it was the service advisor I spoke to and have been told to expect a call from the service manager.

Yeah its the brake pad issue that worries me the most - I also wonder how many other people have experienced this and are not aware because they “trust the dealership”

Thanks for the info regarding the survey - I have received it just not filled it in yet - I will wait to see the outcome of this before filling it in.

starshine 07-29-2018 02:00 PM

Pretty typical of what I experienced, until I changed to a new dealership (albeit with some geographical inconvenience) where the service manager couldn't be more helpful.

I also discovered that M-B don't seem interested in customers' horror stories. The standard response seems to be "Speak to the dealer" even where it's apparent that you can't have any confidence in the dealer - and that's why you're complaining. It may well be different in North America of course.

Also, I used to receive surveys from M-B after a service, but that stopped a good while ago, and the only feedback requests I get are from the dealership itself.

Look forward to learning how this plays out.

Nrkjr 08-02-2018 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cbc200 (Post 7509331)
Next issue - I have been experiencing a few small issues with the gearbox (9G tronic). It's a bit hesitant and occasionally the shift from 3-2 is a bit rough - so I asked if there were any gearbox updates.

I had a GLC220d (Short term lease) two years ago with the 9G gearbox. Had the same issue from 2nd to 3rd.
On my own 200d (7G gearbox) it was exactly the same. Especially when the engine/gearbox was cold / just started. Disappeared after 5 minutes of driving or so.
Others on this forum has also reported it. So it sounds like a software issue. I had MB reset/adjust the gearbox last year. Worked for a day or two. Then it came back.

Anyway. We had the car at the MB dealership a few months ago to have the NOx sensors changed. They had like a stack of papers when finished. I did not see the papers. But the rough shift from 2nd to 3rd seems to have disappeared. So there might be a software-update available. I know they are different gearboxes (7G / 9G), but as the 9G had the same issue it might be across the series.

Kahster 08-03-2018 07:49 PM

It's stories like these that make me think that there is a wide gulf between the MB myth and the reality. For example, I have a 2015 W205 with under 40,000 miles, and the rear license plate screws had rusted. When I went to replace them, the screws wouldn't anchor, they just spun around. I learned the reason is because the OEM part MB uses is made of a flimsy plastic with little metal receiving plates. The plastic simply fails over time because of weather, causing the metal plates to break the plastic when subjected to the slightest torque.

I was at the dealer for another warranty problem and mentioned the bracket. "Umm, I don't think the bracket is covered under the warranty." They wanted $75 for the part--a simple plastic license plate bracket. I said no, and while waiting for them to finish the other work I ordered a replacement on eBay for $14. Made of metal. Without parts that can fall out (photos attached).

I don't mind that the product failed. But to then want $75 for a part (no installation, just the part) that failed on a luxury car that's less than 5 years old? Sorry, but adding experiences like that to all the talk about superior engineering and service just doesn't compute. The ethos behind luxury marks is that you pay more, but get more. My experience with MB thus far is that you just pay more. I like the car, but the service is devaluing the whole brand.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6a7a6e5df6.jpg

Cheap OEM plastic? $75
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9bab204990.jpg

Actual metal? $14

Cbc200 08-10-2018 08:28 AM

Finally got a reply from corporate, still had no contact from the actual dealer though:

I am sorry to hear of the issues you have encountered with your car and Mercedes-Benz of Manchester. Further to your email, I have logged your concerns as a formal complaint and spoken to the Retailer for clarity.

Mercedes-Benz of Manchester have explained that service costs vary depending on a number of different factors, including the type of service, and the model of car. As such, services for different models of Mercedes-Benz cars will vary in price accordingly.

The Retailer have advised that no faults were identified during the most recent visit, and they have suggested that you book your car back in, with a road test to be completed with yourself and a technician on arrival.

In relation to the issues you have faced with the windscreen washer jets, Mercedes-Benz of Manchester have advised that an inspection found the washers to be blocked. This can happen when mixing Mercedes-Benz wash is mixed with 3rd party wash, and the Retailer note that this is not something that can be repaired under warranty. I understand that the repair work carried out to the washers has now resolved the issue. (I have never used Mercedes screenwash and have never had any issues before - think this is just taking the mick to be honest)

The Retailers suggestion to rectify the brake issues is for them to complete a full vehicle health check. As the Retailer note that the brakes were changed at an independent garage, they are currently unaware as to whether they were changed with non-genuine Mercedes-Benz parts. This could have resulted in measurements being taken under the assumption Mercedes-Benz parts had been used, resulting in the Retailer finding the brakes to be 30% worn. Without further inspection however, Mercedes-Benz of Manchester are unable to confirm this. (They weren’t changed at an independent garage as I did them myself, I fail to see how they can possibly know that unless they can check if work has ever been carried out on the car at any other Mercedes dealerships... the pads were actually purchased from their spares shop so were genuine - had they have checked the pads they would have known they were genuine)

The Retailer have also acknowledged the loose air pipe issue you have noted, and advised that this issue will be addressed with the technician involved and the relevant disciplinary procedure will be followed.

In order to assist you with your comments on the oil level, Mercedes-Benz of Manchester require further information in relation to the engine temperature at the time the level was checked, to allow them to confirm as to whether the level is correct or not. (Followed the procedure in the owners manual to check the oil level multiple times, it’s definitely too high)

Taking into consideration all of the above, Mercedes-Benz of Manchester have advised that in light of these circumstances, they will be reviewing goodwill and I trust that they will contact you once they have concluded these reviews with the outcome (I got this response over a week ago now and still haven’t heard from the dealer - to be honest I can’t even be bothered to chase anymore, I just won’t be going back there).

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact me or any of my colleagues.

Anyway, not really the response I was looking for but what can you do - looks like they’re just not really that bothered :)

chrisdean 08-10-2018 01:58 PM

Prestone screenwash when mixed with BMW screenwash coagulates and blocks the jets.

My dealer emails me a video of my cars underside inspection when it's serviced but I am always suspicious when they don't show me what goes on up top. It would be nice to see shots of the replaced filters etc so I know that I'm getting what I've paid for.

Cbc200 08-10-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by chrisdean (Post 7525724)
Prestone screenwash when mixed with BMW screenwash coagulates and blocks the jets.

My dealer emails me a video of my cars underside inspection when it's serviced but I am always suspicious when they don't show me what goes on up top. It would be nice to see shots of the replaced filters etc so I know that I'm getting what I've paid for.

Whilst I don’t use Prestone that’s good to know as I’m always tempted to buy that as its cheap in Costco!

I use either autoglym or just water if I don’t have any left, so there shouldn’t be anything for it to mix with to coagulate which is why I’m suspicious.

I agree, it would be nice to see the things they have replaced.

nw66 09-30-2019 08:36 AM

Mercedes uk after service has always been poor we’ll know for it! Cambridge mine was in last week **** service didn’t do a couple things asked service manager a complete ****