MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C Class (W205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/)
-   -   Wrist pin issue and no warranty. Please help (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/735560-wrist-pin-issue-no-warranty-please-help.html)

thunder-c300 02-10-2019 10:16 PM

Wrist pin issue and no warranty. Please help

Hi folks,

A few months ago, I purchased a used 2015 C300 4matic. At the time of testing the car and everything, I didn't notice any issues so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. However, I have recently come across various threads on this forum that talk about the wrist pin issue and how it could damage the engine in the long-term. I have compared the videos posted by people on Youtube of the issue and it seems that my car has the exact noise upon cold starts but it goes away once the car reaches the normal engine temperature.

Now, I am very scared because my plan was to keep this car for at least 4-5 years. The car came out of warranty a few weeks ago so of course the dealer won't fix it for free. I regret not buying extended warranty so much but it is too late now :(

Any ideas on what to do in this situation? I am considering selling the car and eating up the loss rather than paying 7k for an engine replacement.

Thanks to all.

GreekUPS 02-10-2019 11:08 PM

If you’re in the US I’m pretty sure u can buy an extended warranty.

thunder-c300 02-10-2019 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by GreekUPS (Post 7678407)
If you’re in the US I’m pretty sure u can buy an extended warranty.

Thanks for your prompt reply! Yes I am in the US.

Is it possible to get the MB ELW on my car even though it just got out of warranty like 3 weeks ago?

fabbrisd1 02-10-2019 11:43 PM

1. Specifically - you purchased from a private seller - or a non-MB dealer - correct ?

2. You "missed" taking your C300 in for diagnosis/repair after buying it "a few months ago" up to "warranty expired 3-weeks ago" - so you screwed the pooch - right ?

3. Now - based on your educated ear - you are worried about wrist pin issue - which odds are you don't have - that you "think" you have.

Take your MB to a MB dealer for service and diagnosis - don't volunteer your "opinion" - let them know about your "noise" - you don't have the problem unless they tell you that you do.

thunder-c300 02-10-2019 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7678429)
1. Specifically - you purchased from a private seller - or a non-MB dealer - correct ?

2. You "missed" taking your C300 in for diagnosis/repair after buying it "a few months ago" up to "warranty expired 3-weeks ago" - so you screwed the pooch - right ?

3. Now - based on your educated ear - you are worried about wrist pin issue - which odds are you don't have - that you "think" you have.

Take your MB to a MB dealer for service and diagnosis - don't volunteer your "opinion" - let them know about your "noise" - you don't have the problem unless they tell you that you do.

Thanks for your reply!

My answer is yes to questions 1 and 2. The car was serviced multiple times at a MB dealer by the previous owner according to the carfax report. Some of these services were like 3-4 weeks apart which is very strange. However, there was no mention of any significant engine repairs.

Do you think calling the MB dealer would answer my question about whether the wrist pin was fixed or not?

Elbandito 02-11-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by thunder-c300 (Post 7678437)
Thanks for your reply!

My answer is yes to questions 1 and 2. The car was serviced multiple times at a MB dealer by the previous owner according to the carfax report. Some of these services were like 3-4 weeks apart which is very strange. However, there was no mention of any significant engine repairs.

Do you think calling the MB dealer would answer my question about whether the wrist pin was fixed or not?

they will likely tell you to bring it in.

fabbrisd1 02-11-2019 03:02 PM

It is "easy" for a new Mercedes owner to confuse the higher noise level of your Direct-Injection C-Class engine with the "sound" of a "possible" wrist pin issue.

A Mercedes dealer will need to have your Mercedes hands-on to "diagnose" - which is BEST DONE be done at the same times as other service with that dealer.

If you bring in your MB to a dealer and say "do I have a wrist pin issue" ? You will need to pay that dealer a separate charge for the diagnosis - and also unfortunately there are "some" dealers out there who will kindof say Yes automatically - without really checking.

Just trying to be helpful...