MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C Class (W205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/)
-   -   Custom ordering 2019 C300 - what do I need to know (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/738008-custom-ordering-2019-c300-what-do-i-need-know.html)

aek010401 03-07-2019 10:43 PM

Custom ordering 2019 C300 - what do I need to know

I am very excited to be building-to-order a 2019 C300. Before I go to the dealership this weekend, any tips you could give me? What kind of downpayment do I need to put down? They are telling me 3-4 months to get the car--is that right? Is the discount from MSRP going to be much smaller than if I bought a C300 in inventory? Anything else I need to remember to do for this order? TIA, much appreciated.

aek010401 03-09-2019 09:04 AM

Surprised there are no responses. Someone here must have custom ordered a car and has tips to share?

Edited to add: the salesperson told me that had I bought one readily available, my discount would have been in the neighborhood of $4000. But with a custom order, all he can give me is $1500 off MSRP. This doesn't make sense to me, since a special order means he has almost no carrying costs. Any advice on this?

osborne 03-09-2019 11:08 AM

I picked my 2019 coupe from the lot, but custom ordered my 2016. My last was almost completely loaded, which i found is not hard not to do when going through the configurator. The timeline for mine was just about three months, but that is very dependent on the production cycle. As for MSRP, I am in the Columbus, OH area, and had one dealer tell me the same approx $1500 number. The way I looked at it was that this is a simple sale for the dealer with no inventory risk. I built the car online, and sent the build sheet to all dealers within 150 miles. I figured a 150 mile road trip in my new car wouldn't be painful, and the local dealership would have to provide service if they sold it to me or not. Within a day, I had an offer from a second local dealer for $4200 below MSRP. It ended up working out for me. If you have the time, you may want to try the same.

Trappers101 03-09-2019 11:09 AM

Make sure you have LED headlights and not Halogens.
Make sure you have the premium sound system and not the POS factory one.
These were my 2 mistakes when I got my car. Next time I'll order one exactly the way I want it.

rustybear3 03-09-2019 11:39 AM

MY LIST OF MUST HAVE UPGRADES TO GET:

18-inch twin 5-spoke wheels
Intelligent Light System with Ultra Wide Beam headlamps
64-color LED ambient lighting/illuminated front door sills
Heated steering wheel (a must for cold climates)
Premium Package
Multimedia Package
Burmester Surround Sound System. (stock system sucks)
Panorama roof
Parking Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Package

As far as discounts, aim for at least 6 % maybe 7% discount on custom car. Down payment is strictly up to you really. Negotiable; depending if you're leasing or selling. Depends on the deal they are willing to strike: I give more of a down payment if they give me a good deal to let them know I'm serious.

fabbrisd1 03-09-2019 02:00 PM

FYI - in general terms...

1. Ordering 2019 - currently there are "changeable" factory production slots closing soon for end-May - and still more open slots 1st-week June.

2. 2020 Dealer Order Guide - has been released so you can know the changes for 2020 - 2020 goes into production starting end-June for estimated US launch end-Aug/Beg-Sept

3. "Lowest Price" 2019 on the ground will be "demo" specials used as local loaners or as MB executive car. "Approx" 12%-14% discount from MSRP new - plus - on top of remaining new car warranty - you get a free added 1yr Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty "on top"

4. Your "must have features" - frankly are all up to you to decide - you have good recommendations from others here based on what they "must have" - but ultimately it's your decision to make for your Mercedes

Mikey53 03-09-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by aek010401 (Post 7700145)
I am very excited to be building-to-order a 2019 C300. Before I go to the dealership this weekend, any tips you could give me? What kind of downpayment do I need to put down? They are telling me 3-4 months to get the car--is that right? Is the discount from MSRP going to be much smaller than if I bought a C300 in inventory? Anything else I need to remember to do for this order? TIA, much appreciated.

AMG night package, get it

aek010401 03-09-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7701157)
As far as discounts, aim for at least 6 % maybe 7% discount on custom car. Down payment is strictly up to you really. Negotiable; depending if you're leasing or selling. Depends on the deal they are willing to strike: I give more of a down payment if they give me a good deal to let them know I'm serious.

You turned out to be correct; the guy told me that thing about the smaller discount over the phone. But once I was in front of him in the dealership, and clearly was serious, the discount went to ~6% or so (we are still ironing out the details).

Originally Posted by Trappers101 (Post 7701136)
Make sure you have LED headlights and not Halogens.
Make sure you have the premium sound system and not the POS factory one.
These were my 2 mistakes when I got my car. Next time I'll order one exactly the way I want it.

Definitely ordering the Burmester sound system. The LED headlights are standard now on the 2019 C300.

However, I am still thinking over the Adaptive High Beam Assist ("Adaptive Highbeam Assist uses continuous input from a camera to automatically vary the range of your headlamps, based on the distance to oncoming vehicles and to those ahead of you. It's engineered to maximize road illumination without creating glare for other drivers."). At a $750 upcharge, not sure this is worthwhile. Don't have it now, and haven't missed it. I also think I prefer to control the high beams myself, but if anybody who has Adaptive High Beam Assist who wants to weigh in, that would be great.

rustybear3 03-10-2019 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by aek010401 (Post 7701501)

However, I am still thinking over the Adaptive High Beam Assist ("Adaptive Highbeam Assist uses continuous input from a camera to automatically vary the range of your headlamps, based on the distance to oncoming vehicles and to those ahead of you. It's engineered to maximize road illumination without creating glare for other drivers."). At a $750 upcharge, not sure this is worthwhile. Don't have it now, and haven't missed it. I also think I prefer to control the high beams myself, but if anybody who has Adaptive High Beam Assist who wants to weigh in, that would be great.

If you live in the US, the high beam LED shielding is diaabled. However, I still got them for the cornering lights, which work really well, the adaptive feature where they follow the curves, and the auto headlight beam. They also do a beautiful "light dance" at night when you unlock your doors or first turn the car on. There is talk the US may remove this restriction, and may be reprogrammed at a latter date.

I hesitated like you, but glad I got them.

Kiet Thai 03-10-2019 04:47 AM

must get night pkg and amg pkg!

mmaldin 03-10-2019 09:59 AM

I ordered mine last summer and passed on Command but got the 10.25 screen. It is outstanding with carplay/google maps/Waze. I also opted for the digital dash which I enjoy. I overlooked ambient lighting which I had on my '15 which is a big regret, don't know how I forgot that!

aek010401 03-10-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mmaldin (Post 7701792)
I ordered mine last summer and passed on Command but got the 10.25 screen. It is outstanding with carplay/google maps/Waze. I also opted for the digital dash which I enjoy.

That is a really great tip, because I was going to get the Multimedia package, just for the 10.25 screen. I don't really need anything else in the Multimedia package, just wanted the larger screen, and I didn't notice that options could include the screen without the Multimedia package. I can't blame the salesperson for not telling me, because I just told him I wanted the Multimedia, and didn't ask more about it. Also, I was under the impression I'd not be able to use Google Maps unless I got the Multimedia package, so you are saying I can. If that's the case, you just saved me quite a bit, which I can use toward other options (like digital dash). Thanks!

mmaldin 03-10-2019 12:26 PM

Google Maps and Waze have been available in Apple Carplay since the release IOS 12 this past fall. Both are better than the navigation in the Multimedia package and do not require updating by the Dealer(MB Navigation is not Google Maps). You do have to plug the phone into the USB port where the lighter used to be, a small inconvenience. Wireless apple carplay is in some BMW's and Audi's. Doubt if MB will adopt that as soon as others.

MBBoss18 03-12-2019 06:32 PM

Musts

I bought my 2019 MY coupe last year Oct 2018 off the lot. Got a little over $6k off the MSRP. The deal was excellent, cheaper than some 2018 models they still had on the lot.

For 2019 10.25 inch screen is standard as well as Android auto and Apple carplay. So if you just want a larger screen, you get that anyway just with the 2019 facelift/refresh. Unless you just really want command navigation, the Android auto works great to me (only downside is you have to have your phone plugged in).

Must have options like others have said-
•AMG sport package
•Night package
•64 color ambient lighting
•NFC/wireless charging
•12.3 digital instrument cluster
•19" wheels
•sunroof
•Premium package

I love my car. Came with some other options but these are ones I wouldn't want to do without. Hope this helps.

CJG 03-12-2019 08:20 PM

Definitely go for the active LED’s. The leather with heated and ventilated seats is great. 19” wheels. Parking assist. The Burnester stereo. Not sure how the AMG package works on the 2019’s, but I have it on my 2016 and it’s pretty sweet. Rear spoiler.

CJG 03-12-2019 08:22 PM

Oh, and the 360 degree camera is also very useful.

mmaldin 03-12-2019 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=MBBoss18;7703893]
For 2019 10.25 inch screen is standard as well as Android auto and Apple carplay. So if you just want a larger screen, you get that anyway just with the 2019 facelift/refresh. Unless you just really want command navigation, the Android auto works great to me (only downside is you have to have your phone plugged in).

FYI, 10.25 in screen is a $300 option, Carplay and Android Auto are standard.

aek010401 03-13-2019 02:38 PM

Well, I went back and forth in my head about the AMG packages, especially with the enthusiasm here. But I decided not to add them to my custom build. I didn’t really want the type of ride with the sport suspension (I sit in traffic a lot, and drive over bumpy rutted roads a lot), though I did want the sport wheel and the diamond grill. Just not enough for the several thousand more.

MBBoss18 03-13-2019 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=mmaldin;7704063]

Originally Posted by MBBoss18 (Post 7703893)

FYI, 10.25 in screen is a $300 option, Carplay and Android Auto are standard.

10.25 in screen is STANDARD with the refresh here in the US.

MBBoss18 03-13-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by aek010401 (Post 7704564)
Well, I went back and forth in my head about the AMG packages, especially with the enthusiasm here. But I decided not to add them to my custom build. I didn’t really want the type of ride with the sport suspension (I sit in traffic a lot, and drive over bumpy rutted roads a lot), though I did want the sport wheel and the diamond grill. Just not enough for the several thousand more.

Aww man. AMG package was only $1500 and really steps up the look of the car with sport styling. At the end of the day options are tailored to the owner though as someone mentioned above. That's the good thing about ordering, you can get it how you want. I personally love the sport steering wheel and sport pedals as well as the body styling that comes with the AMG package. You'll love your car either way! Congrats on your order!

aek010401 03-13-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by MBBoss18 (Post 7704793)

10.25 in screen is STANDARD with the refresh here in the US.

No, unfortunately it’s not. Wish it were.

Originally Posted by MBBoss18 (Post 7704804)
Aww man. AMG package was only $1500 and really steps up the look of the car with sport styling. At the end of the day options are tailored to the owner though as someone mentioned above. That's the good thing about ordering, you can get it how you want. I personally love the sport steering wheel and sport pedals as well as the body styling that comes with the AMG package. You'll love your car either way! Congrats on your order!

Thanks! I read every post I could about whether the AMG sport suspension ride is stiffer and going to be less comfortable if you drive in a lot of crawling traffic and constantly drive on rutted roads. There were a few saying they couldn’t feel the difference, but most said the comfort suspension would be preferred under those conditions, especially if it’s a pretty constant thing.

mmaldin 03-14-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by aek010401 (Post 7704840)
No, unfortunately it’s not. Wish it were.

Thanks! I read every post I could about whether the AMG sport suspension ride is stiffer and going to be less comfortable if you drive in a lot of crawling traffic and constantly drive on rutted roads. There were a few saying they couldn’t feel the difference, but most said the comfort suspension would be preferred under those conditions, especially if it’s a pretty constant thing.

I had a '15 with the Sport package.. I thought the ride was way too harsh. Ordered the '19 with comfort suspension and I love it. I would have gladly paid for the sport styling, but the sport suspension was a deal breaker for me on ordering the AMG line.

aek010401 03-15-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mmaldin (Post 7701878)
Google Maps and Waze have been available in Apple Carplay since the release IOS 12 this past fall. Both are better than the navigation in the Multimedia package and do not require updating by the Dealer(MB Navigation is not Google Maps). You do have to plug the phone into the USB port where the lighter used to be, a small inconvenience. Wireless apple carplay is in some BMW's and Audi's. Doubt if MB will adopt that as soon as others.

If I get the 10.25” screen option without the Multimedia package, will I still have voice text messaging, so that texts are read out loud?

mmaldin 03-15-2019 08:42 PM

Yes, Excellent voice text messaging with Apple Car play.

aek010401 03-16-2019 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mmaldin (Post 7705277)
I had a '15 with the Sport package.. I thought the ride was way too harsh. Ordered the '19 with comfort suspension and I love it. I would have gladly paid for the sport styling, but the sport suspension was a deal breaker for me on ordering the AMG line.

Thanks for the validation of what I was thinking. Very helpful.

Originally Posted by mmaldin (Post 7706637)
Yes, Excellent voice text messaging with Apple Car play.

Great, you made my day!