C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Full screen Android auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w213
firmware update

[QUOTE=swinster;8829863]So, for what it is worth, here are a couple of videos of the Ottocast Play2Video and the native Android Auto in the Mercedes AMG C43 coupe. Even though this is a new car, it is based on the old C class spec and uses the Comand NTG 5.5 system (a non-touchscreen control). You can see that the Ottocast is practically unusable, although it does give a much better use of the screen. The native Andriod auto has terrible screen real estate usage, but the controls work.
I would love to know if anyone knows of a system that can be used properly with a Comand NTG 5.5 system like this.

I don't know if I had the same problem as you; at least I experienced the same issues that your video displayed. I downloaded the latest firmware from the Ottocast site, downloaded the .zip file into a USB drive and updated the Ottocast play2video device. After the update, the Mercedes knob started to behave correctly. I hope this helps you too.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:49 AM

V-class
I just got my Ottocast U2 x Pro for my MBUX in V-class (W447), and I can confirm here that you can't get full screen Android Auto / CarPlay. See below picture. I'm going to return it back, because I just can't live with this "Old School" view.

Let me know if you experience the same. Is there any other solution which would show AA/CarPlay in full screen mode?

Still 1/3 of the screen filled only with MBUX background
Old 02-17-2024, 02:45 AM
SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello, Mercedes has deliberately limited the display of Carplay so that it cannot be displayed over the full width of the screen.
So if you want to show AA/CarPlay in full screen mode you will need a carplay module kit special for Mercedes.
Check this carplay module kit here: https://www.carputech.com/products/w...r-link-airplay

Special offer only for Mbworld members: Pls kindly use the coupon code" MBWORLD" to get $50 OFF while you pay.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W213 E53 Wagon
Hey @carputech, will this work to get android auto full screen on my 2021 Mercedes E Class?

If so, what is installation like?
Old 03-17-2024, 05:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 S550
Originally Posted by toddwess
Worked perfectly on my 2020 E350. Full screen Android Auto streamed as CarPlay in full screen and full navigation wheel and steering wheel control support.

perfect...I had to see it to believe it. im picking up a 2019 S560 tomorrow. What ottocast are you using? Just want to make sure....thanks
Old 03-17-2024, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W213 E53 Wagon
Has anybody gotten it working with a 2021 E-class??
Old 03-31-2024, 09:37 AM

C 220D estate w205
Help

Originally Posted by ctsvette
I've been in search for a way to get full screen Android auto ever since I got my car. Finally there's a very easy way. It's called the ottocast U2 x pro. It's on Amazon. I know the reviews are horrible but I swear it's working flawlessly for me. I just got it today. I suspect some cars either don't play well with it or they updated the firmware. Here's a screen shot of how it looks.
Good afternoon. how did you achieve this? Could you tell me the configuration or something? With the same car and the Ottocast I can't get the Android Auto logo to disappear from the screen. thank you
Old 04-28-2024, 08:44 AM
SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.carputech.com/products/w...r-link-airplay
Wireless Android Auto:

Old 06-01-2024, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Got it working!!

Just bought a (nearly) new c300 (2023) and have/had the same issue.. but I've fixed it!!

I upgraded from a 2022 CLA 200 which has MBUX rather than command so never had a problem with the screen layout or the steering wheel trackpad, and I use android auto a lot so I noticed the massive android auto logo and inability to use the trackpad on the steering wheel to control AA right away.

I bought the AAWIRELESS unit (to get android auto wireless) which has recently added apple car play functionality, in the settings there's an option to force all connections via car play.. I enabled that and voila!! I now have full screen android auto, and the trackpad on the wheel works again. Admittedly the trackpad isn't fantastic and I'll probably just use the control wheel but it's full screen so I'm happy! No issues with connection stability at all so far and it auto connects pretty quickly.
​​​
Hope this helps somebody else looking to fix this and not having any joy with the ottocast
Old 08-11-2024, 10:09 PM

2001 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Is this the new AAWireless 2024 model they put out? I've been looking at the right unit to get to maximize functionality and features but the AAWireless site isn't exactly descriptive.

Can you indeed confirm you can utilize the entire screen and the steering wheel controls work?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2024, 10:29 PM

C300
Originally Posted by chriskol
Is this the new AAWireless 2024 model they put out? I've been looking at the right unit to get to maximize functionality and features but the AAWireless site isn't exactly descriptive.

Can you indeed confirm you can utilize the entire screen and the steering wheel controls work?

Thanks in advance!
This is the version I'm using:
https://amzn.eu/d/1IjmNlO

I can use the entire screen by setting the unit to use apple car play. So it is displaying android auto, just via apple car play. It looks great, the screen is nice and crisp and it does use the full screen, corner to corner. After a bit of use now it does have a few drawbacks to be aware of though. Nothing major and I am really happy with it!

1) generally I've had very few issues with this set up and the wireless connection works well. However I do sometimes find my phone doesn't connect and I have to fiddle around switching things off and back on again. It's happened only a few times. I'm putting it down to the fact the android auto through apple car play features are still new(ish)

2) the left wheel touchpad does work, but... It's like the sensitivity isn't correct and it's unreliable. Eg if I swipe down, the cursor moves up first and then down. Clicking the button in to select something often moves the cursor first etc. it's just not the best so I've gotten used to using the wheel on the centre console instead and honestly, I'm quite happy with it after a bit of time. It is probably something to do with the screen format passing as via car play so hopefully can be fixed via an aawireless update

3) this is minor but when using voice commands it doesn't make the beep noise to indicate when it's ready for me to speak.

4) My phone (nothing phone 1) runs out of juice very quickly using wireless Android auto so I've bought a wireless charging pad to put in the storage compartment. So I just drop my phone on the pad and it charges it without needing to plug it in. This is the unit I bought:
https://amzn.eu/d/ecop67y
​​​​​​also bought a few usb adapters to keep things tidy

Hope that helps!!
The following users liked this post:
chriskol (08-11-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 02:48 PM

W212
I am pretty sure you are on NTG ver 5. NTG ver 6 will not allow full screen via Carplay.
Old 08-13-2024, 03:33 PM

C300
Originally Posted by jonkorn
I am pretty sure you are on NTG ver 5. NTG ver 6 will not allow full screen via Carplay.
Yes, but, W205/C205's don't/can't have NTG 6 can they?

Old 08-13-2024, 07:28 PM

W212
I have a 2023 C118 and it has MBUX6, but I know a lot of 2023 have MBUX5.1 It will tell you what version you have in the menu somewhere.
When connected to AA if you were getting the AA giant icon on a portion of the screen that was MBUX5.1. In that version Carplay is full screen. In MBUX6 Carplay has the left and right of the screen reserved for MBUX. That is how people think that the Ottobox makes it full screen. Ottobox exploits Carplay to overlay native android or Android auto. This is similar to what you did in AA wireless. This is my third Mercedes and one of the most frustrating things about them is they are always way behind on tech.
In my 2011 W211 it didn't even have bluetooth audio even though 99% of cheap cars already had that feature. In my C118 they took away next and previous song from the steering wheel commands. The track pad is a PITA. It is very easy to mistakenly hit the next/previous shortcut. I have a Maserati that has a navigation wheel instead of the pad. It is excellent.
Then Mercedes doesn't let you use the full screen in Carplay and Android Auto. The popular reason is that Mercedes wants you to purchase their navigation. Charging to use navigation is stupid when Google Maps, Waze etc are excellent.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:24 PM

C300
Originally Posted by jonkorn
I have a 2023 C118 and it has MBUX6, but I know a lot of 2023 have MBUX5.1 It will tell you what version you have in the menu somewhere.
When connected to AA if you were getting the AA giant icon on a portion of the screen that was MBUX5.1. In that version Carplay is full screen. In MBUX6 Carplay has the left and right of the screen reserved for MBUX. That is how people think that the Ottobox makes it full screen. Ottobox exploits Carplay to overlay native android or Android auto. This is similar to what you did in AA wireless. This is my third Mercedes and one of the most frustrating things about them is they are always way behind on tech.
In my 2011 W211 it didn't even have bluetooth audio even though 99% of cheap cars already had that feature. In my C118 they took away next and previous song from the steering wheel commands. The track pad is a PITA. It is very easy to mistakenly hit the next/previous shortcut. I have a Maserati that has a navigation wheel instead of the pad. It is excellent.
Then Mercedes doesn't let you use the full screen in Carplay and Android Auto. The popular reason is that Mercedes wants you to purchase their navigation. Charging to use navigation is stupid when Google Maps, Waze etc are excellent.
Sorry I'm not sure if I'm missing something (apologies if I am)... This thread was posted in the c class W205 forums, and was specifically trying to resolve a problem for that range (the giant AA logo you mentioned). Don't get me wrong, I totally get your frustration; I had a 2022 CLA (C118) which had NTG 6/MBUX so I know exactly what you mean, but that's not a W205. This thread was never trying to fix full screen AA problems across the board.. only for W205

For what it's worth, the facelift a class, and a I presume the equivalent CLA (the one without a trackpad in the centre console) has a newer version of MBUX which does give full screen AA and carplay, and is natively wireless. I bought one for my wife and was immediately jealous that her car had better tech than mine 🤣

​​​​​​

Old 08-14-2024, 12:12 AM

W212
While it was posted in the W205 forum, the title is "full screen Android auto". Regardless of what model you own. MBUX will react the same way if it is MBUX5.1 in a C class, S class etc. I was only trying to clarify for anyone else reading this that if you have 5.1 then Carplay is full screen and running anything that exploits that will give you full screen. That includes AA wireless, Ottocast, or any of the other 50 brands that use Carplay to display Android Auto. If you have MBUX 6 then there is nothing you can do except buy expensive hardware that is not a seemless experience. Of course I am aware that MBUX 7 is full screen.
Old 09-10-2024, 01:36 PM

C-Class W205 2019
Got it working!

Hello

I can confirm that AAwireless unit works perfectly and provides Android Auto in full screen.
All you need to do is enable AA over CP (Android Auto over Car Play) in advanced settings.
Proof:
Old 09-10-2024, 01:37 PM

C-Class W205 2019
Got it working in full screen!

Duplicate

Last edited by Qlemens; 09-10-2024 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Duplicate