MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C218 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c218-175/)
-   -   Tune & Emissions Test (https://mbworld.org/forums/c218/650541-tune-emissions-test.html)

Laffs 01-20-2017 09:52 AM

Tune & Emissions Test

Seriously considering adding a tune to our 2014 CLS63 S, but here in Ontario we have biennial OBD emissions testing. Has anyone with a tuned CLS63 undergone OBD emissions testing and had any issues (or passed?)

Want to make sure I'm not spending thousands of dollars only to have to pay the dealer to flash the car back to stock for an emissions test.

Thanks.

wasupdu 01-20-2017 06:21 PM

Great question. Hopefully someone will chime in with a response.

will175 01-21-2017 03:08 AM

I have passed with a tune and deleted Cats..I dont know if there is different testing protocols for each state..Meaning where Im at we only need to have one monitor turned on, active, and good to go...

wasupdu 01-21-2017 10:34 PM

Good to know. Thanks will175 for the info.

KLR CLS 01-23-2017 05:19 PM

Tune only will not be an issue. if you have catless down pipe and the rear o2s turned off in the tune you will probably fail. In Oct 2016, they changed it so you cannot have any readiness monitors in pending state. Disabling them in tune, will show not ready for that test....unless you have a guy....

will175 01-24-2017 01:58 AM

^^^That is not per my state. I just did my yearly smog test 3 weeks ago. Passed with flying colors. But none of my monitors were in "pending" state. They are turned off except one.

Side note, I love your mod list!

KLR CLS 01-24-2017 07:31 AM

OP is in Ontario as am i. Giving him Ontario details.

Laffs 01-24-2017 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by KLR CLS (Post 7033851)
Tune only will not be an issue. if you have catless down pipe and the rear o2s turned off in the tune you will probably fail. In Oct 2016, they changed it so you cannot have any readiness monitors in pending state. Disabling them in tune, will show not ready for that test....unless you have a guy....

Thanks, so most tuners will leave the monitors on then unless requested otherwise? Looking at a Eurocharged tune specifically since they are semi-local.

I have a supercharged Mustang with an aftermarket tune, all of my monitors except "Comprehensive" are set to N/A which passed last time but I have heard they no longer allow that to fly.

Amg63- 01-24-2017 03:10 PM

Problem is with catless downpipes if they dont turn off that secondary sensor off with the tune, your check engine light will always be on, thats why people get them to shut it off.

KLR CLS 01-24-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Laffs (Post 7034719)
Thanks, so most tuners will leave the monitors on then unless requested otherwise? Looking at a Eurocharged tune specifically since they are semi-local.

I have a supercharged Mustang with an aftermarket tune, all of my monitors except "Comprehensive" are set to N/A which passed last time but I have heard they no longer allow that to fly.

EC tune only they will not change the monitors. Only if you are getting a catless DP tune. You should be fine. I also had a CTS-V with all etest PIDs set to do not report that passed via HP tuners and that passed np. However, as I said in Oct they changed rules that said you could get a conditional pass with 1 monitor in not ready state.

Quick way to check would be to get a cheap ELM 327 bluetooth OB2 adapter and the "torque" app and run the emissions status gauge. If its clear there, you will pass.

Amg63- 01-24-2017 05:04 PM

Eurocharged can get the car passed even with catless DP in place along with the tune for it, they told me to leave car with them and it will get done.

KLR CLS 01-24-2017 05:17 PM

Sure...hence my original comment of ..."unless you've got a guy"... lol.