C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

[HELP] CLS63 RPM surging and jolts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS63
[HELP] CLS63 RPM surging and jolts

Hey guys, so to give some context i'll explain the entirety of the situation im facing...

I had a couple of issues with my 2011 (2012 year in the states?) cls63, the first one was that on accelerating the engine would rise and lower its rpm as if it was confused as to what gear it was in and felt as if it was shifting up and then back down without actually changing gears, i had a mechanic look at it and attempt to fix that issue and he suspected the transmission valve was at fault, he from my understanding did a refurb job on it and gave it a tune and that basically fixed that 90% it was still subtly doing it on the change from 3rd gear to 4th gear. About a week or 2 after picking it up the issue was returning and progressively getting worse again and since picking it up i had noticed something else which is the main issue i now have.

The car seems to surge in rpm randomly, i usually note that it does this 70% of the time in the morning when i first turn it on and it runs its cold start, while reversing it will surge in rpm and create enough power that the entire car will basically jerk in gain/loss of speed/power. i'll have a video attached so you can get a better understanding.... this same surge will happen randomly albeit less frequency than ive noticed when reversing, while driving and coming to a stop it will do the surge, sometimes if you just move like a meter forward without touching the accelerator and letting it move on its own idle speed it'd jolt/jerk that way and then get itself together. so it'll only surge like for those few moments and then its fine until it decides to do it again randomly. i've given it to my mechanic again but i just picked it up from him today because he cant seems to recreate it or it hasnt failed for him...

one other thing to note about a 3weeks ago, coming from work the car had surged while reversing and my put was lightly on the accelerator and the car stalled. when turning it on again i had a check engine light which i had an assumption it might be because it stalled it mightve had to much fuel in, the two codes i got was:
P2097 - Post catalyst fuel trim system too rich Bank 1
P0304 - Cyclinder 4 Misfire Detected

i cleared the codes and it hadn't turned on since

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what could be causing it so that if i go back to a mechanic or someone else i can atleast ask them to look at a few things rather than just being told to wait for it to 'fail' and then bring it back cause im not getting any CEL's right now and i doubt i will anytime soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLe...ew?usp=sharing

link to video of issue that i could get, it is abit hard to get while driving as i dont know when exactly it happens
the rpm surge will be at 14 seconds in (you can also hear the revs if your audio is up)

car is stock except for a res delete with straight pipe replacing if it matters

Last edited by liquisix; 08-10-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Cls63 s-amg 2014
Same problem ?
Take a look at the video
Attached Files

Last edited by Sltncls63; 08-21-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
11” C218 CLS63
Originally Posted by liquisix
Hey guys, so to give some context i'll explain the entirety of the situation im facing...

I had a couple of issues with my 2011 (2012 year in the states?) cls63, the first one was that on accelerating the engine would rise and lower its rpm as if it was confused as to what gear it was in and felt as if it was shifting up and then back down without actually changing gears, i had a mechanic look at it and attempt to fix that issue and he suspected the transmission valve was at fault, he from my understanding did a refurb job on it and gave it a tune and that basically fixed that 90% it was still subtly doing it on the change from 3rd gear to 4th gear. About a week or 2 after picking it up the issue was returning and progressively getting worse again and since picking it up i had noticed something else which is the main issue i now have.

The car seems to surge in rpm randomly, i usually note that it does this 70% of the time in the morning when i first turn it on and it runs its cold start, while reversing it will surge in rpm and create enough power that the entire car will basically jerk in gain/loss of speed/power. i'll have a video attached so you can get a better understanding.... this same surge will happen randomly albeit less frequency than ive noticed when reversing, while driving and coming to a stop it will do the surge, sometimes if you just move like a meter forward without touching the accelerator and letting it move on its own idle speed it'd jolt/jerk that way and then get itself together. so it'll only surge like for those few moments and then its fine until it decides to do it again randomly. i've given it to my mechanic again but i just picked it up from him today because he cant seems to recreate it or it hasnt failed for him...

one other thing to note about a 3weeks ago, coming from work the car had surged while reversing and my put was lightly on the accelerator and the car stalled. when turning it on again i had a check engine light which i had an assumption it might be because it stalled it mightve had to much fuel in, the two codes i got was:

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what could be causing it so that if i go back to a mechanic or someone else i can atleast ask them to look at a few things rather than just being told to wait for it to 'fail' and then bring it back cause im not getting any CEL's right now and i doubt i will anytime soon.

link to video of issue that i could get, it is abit hard to get while driving as i dont know when exactly it happens
the rpm surge will be at 14 seconds in (you can also hear the revs if your audio is up)

surge in rpm fix? Same here
Old 12-22-2020, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 CLS63 AMG
2013 CLS 63 AMG

I have a 2013 CLS63 AMG that has the same jerky issue. The issue only seems to happen when the Temp outside is below 50 degrees. After the car warms to above 60 degrees I dont seem to have the issue anymore. Not sure if you figured out a solution but would like to hear if you did.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:50 PM

Cls63 s-amg 2014
Any update ?
Old 04-03-2021, 10:47 PM

CLS63
nothing yet, car is still doing it

i posted in the w212 forums as its abit more alive and the cars are nearly the same, the general consensus was that for me it is highly likely i have a bad O2 sensor upstream, my car is due for a service and i booked it in for the 6th but will need to reschedule it because im working, but will ask them to maybe test it out and see

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ing-jolts.html
Old 04-05-2021, 05:47 PM

11” C218 CLS63
nothing yet, car is still doing it

i posted in the w212 forums as its abit more alive and the cars are nearly the same, the general consensus was that for me it is highly likely i have a bad O2 sensor upstream, my car is due for a service and i booked it in for the 6th but will need to reschedule it because im working, but will ask them to maybe test it out and see

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ing-jolts.html
I was thinking is the gearbox problem.
I had done cleaning the gearbox solenoid, but remain the same, next I am trying to relearn the Shift Adaptations.

https://www.weistec.com/media-events...9transmission/
Old 05-21-2021, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 63
Jerky Acceleration

Hi,

I have 2013 CLS 63 with 41k miles that is periodically having jerky acceleration. In the morning when I first start and put into reverse or drive and start to to accelerate rpms will surge up/down causing jerkyness. Sometimes when I come to a stop rpms will drop to normal level, about 700, then surge to just over 1k, then drop back to normal, then will repeat a couple times, then back to normal. Another note, After replacing air filters (with k&n high performance cloth) problem went away for a few months, no it's back. Wondering if I'm having air flow issue?

Does anybody else have this issued?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 05-21-2021, 01:26 PM

Cls63 s-amg 2014
I try to remove the 2 pressure sensor located in the air box from behind and keep it in the engine bay the problems didn’t come again i order 2 new sensor and i will try it
Old 05-21-2021, 01:46 PM

CLS 63
Originally Posted by Sltncls63
I try to remove the 2 pressure sensor located in the air box from behind and keep it in the engine bay the problems didn’t come again i order 2 new sensor and i will try it
Awesome, please post results.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-22-2021, 07:40 AM

CLS63
i had my spark plugs changed as i was told that could be an issue, still surging although before and after the change ive noticed my long term fuel trim is out of whack, 23.4% on Bank 1 and 10.9% bank 2 on idle, im having a feeling that maybe this is causing my surging for my instance?
Old 05-22-2021, 08:15 AM

Cls63 s-amg 2014
I want someone of you guys try to do what i do and post the result
Old 05-22-2021, 10:22 AM

CLS 63
i had my spark plugs changed as i was told that could be an issue, still surging although before and after the change ive noticed my long term fuel trim is out of whack, 23.4% on Bank 1 and 10.9% bank 2 on idle, im having a feeling that maybe this is causing my surging for my instance?
I had my spark plugs replaced too. Not sure if my fuel trim is out of whack. How do you check that? I am going to be taking my car to specialty mercedes/bmw shop. I will post results.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:57 AM

Cls63 s-amg 2014
Originally Posted by Rob Panosh
I had my spark plugs replaced too. Not sure if my fuel trim is out of whack. How do you check that? I am going to be taking my car to specialty mercedes/bmw shop. I will post results.
Also me replace spark plugs 2 times it’s didn’t fix the problem and i hear weird sound from exhaust at idle like puf puf watch the video 👇

https://streamable.com/63in9p

Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (5.18 MB, 60 views)

Last edited by Sltncls63; 05-22-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
it is the transmission clutch engage and disengage multiple times and it do it on cold weather and cold tranny temperature, the solution is to reset the adaption values of the clutch then do clutch adaptation on idle with Xentry, you can check also if you put the transmission on S or S+ the jerk will go away.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Panosh (05-23-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:48 AM

CLS63
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
it is the transmission clutch engage and disengage multiple times and it do it on cold weather and cold tranny temperature, the solution is to reset the adaption values of the clutch then do clutch adaptation on idle with Xentry, you can check also if you put the transmission on S or S+ the jerk will go away.

for my instance, having switched to s or s+ my issue still persisted
Old 06-06-2021, 08:32 AM

CLS 63
for my instance, having switched to s or s+ my issue still persisted
Me too. Did you try Roberts solution?
Old 06-06-2021, 05:38 PM

CLS 63
Me too. Did you try Roberts solution?
just did a reset and problem no longer exists!; thanks robert!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:41 AM

CLS63
just did a reset and problem no longer exists!; thanks robert!
did you get the dealership to do it? what did you ask them to do as in just what robert said or different terminology?

or is this the reset the trans shift adaptions with the foot on the brake pedal method?
Old 06-07-2021, 07:40 PM

CLS 63
did you get the dealership to do it? what did you ask them to do as in just what robert said or different terminology?

or is this the reset the trans shift adaptions with the foot on the brake pedal method?
did it myself ...
See that video you can google cls63 adaption reset
Old 11-17-2021, 10:50 PM

cls63
SAME HERE CLS63

Same problem here! Exactly the same! I changed O2 sensor, spark plugs, cleaned the MAP sensors, the problem is no longer as bad as before, BBBBUT! It’s still there, I will try to do the reset thing tomorrow and see.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:44 PM

cls63
7G Tronic 722.9 Torque Converter Problems

7G Tronic 722.9 Torque Converter Problems
One of the most common Mercedes 7G Tronic torque converter problems happens when the vehicle shudders or shakes excessively under load. This condition typically occurs when accelerating from a stop or up an incline.
Cause – This issue is typically caused by either dirt to getting into the TCC solenoid and preventing it from operating properly. Or the clutches inside of the torque converter could be excessively worn, which means you will be able to feel them operate, resulting in the shuttering / shaking feeling. If this is the case, a new 722.9 torque converter will be required.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
update, the clutch adaptation did not solve this issue, what solve it for me is to start the car in S mode instead of C, i change the coding for the tcu and made it last mode, so when i switch it to S then every time i start the engine it remember last mode i set it which is S mode.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sltncls63
Hi what was final result after replacing 2 pressure sensor , problem disappear ???
Old 05-12-2022, 02:48 PM

11” C218 CLS63
Finally I have replace the clutch, problem solved

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: [HELP] CLS63 RPM surging and jolts