C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Can you replace battery in 2015 CLS63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Can you replace battery in 2015 CLS63?

I need a new battery in my 2015 CLS63 and I've heard that if you replace the battery, some benz's need a "computer re-set" that has to be done at the dealership. Can someone confirm for me that this is a thing or not for the CLS63 and, if so, what happens if you just replace it yourself?
Old 01-11-2024, 04:57 PM

'15 CLS 63
Hey, I just made this account just to reply to you. I'm about to do mine later today. I seen videos where people keep a jump pack on the jumping posts for the vehicle and then replace the battery. I don't think it's complicated. Maybe the order of removing the terminals may be important but maybe it isn't as I seen two different videos of people them off in different order.

The videos I seen, they didn't reset anything. The car started back up with no issues or complaints.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:30 AM

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by ClsFrank
Hey, I just made this account just to reply to you. I'm about to do mine later today. I seen videos where people keep a jump pack on the jumping posts for the vehicle and then replace the battery. I don't think it's complicated. Maybe the order of removing the terminals may be important but maybe it isn't as I seen two different videos of people them off in different order.

The videos I seen, they didn't reset anything. The car started back up with no issues or complaints.
Well, thanks so much for your response, I appreciate it. I had a conversation with the service manager at my local dealership and he said that sometimes it works out fine to change the battery yourself but other times it will cause some anti-theft systems to turn off and lock the ignition system entirely and that the ignition system may need to be replaced if that happens. I don't know how much of that last part I believe but it does sound like it could leave you in a bit of a mess. In any case, he said they would be willing to put a battery in that I bought ( a non-OEM part) and that I didn't even need an appointment. I'm taking it in this morning and I'll report back as to how it goes and how much it costs.Let me know how it goes for you, too, please.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:46 AM

'15 CLS 63
Originally Posted by opnwyder
Well, thanks so much for your response, I appreciate it. I had a conversation with the service manager at my local dealership and he said that sometimes it works out fine to change the battery yourself but other times it will cause some anti-theft systems to turn off and lock the ignition system entirely and that the ignition system may need to be replaced if that happens. I don't know how much of that last part I believe but it does sound like it could leave you in a bit of a mess. In any case, he said they would be willing to put a battery in that I bought ( a non-OEM part) and that I didn't even need an appointment. I'm taking it in this morning and I'll report back as to how it goes and how much it costs.Let me know how it goes for you, too, please.
Yea I changed it and forgot to reply yday. I did just as I said. I attached a jump pack to the jumping posts. Unhooked the terminals from the battery. very carefully protected the + terminal as it was live. And just put my new battery back in. + Terminal first for safety. Car started up as usual. This took 5 mins.
Also, I bought a die hard platinum agm battery from advanced auto. It was about 270 or something.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by ClsFrank
Yea I changed it and forgot to reply yday. I did just as I said. I attached a jump pack to the jumping posts. Unhooked the terminals from the battery. very carefully protected the + terminal as it was live. And just put my new battery back in. + Terminal first for safety. Car started up as usual. This took 5 mins.
Also, I bought a die hard platinum agm battery from advanced auto. It was about 270 or something.
Very interesting to know. I just purchased a jump pack because I'll probably end up needed a new battery at some point for the 2014 CLS63... this is good information. About the dealership... you never know what you're going to get from them as far as quality of information goes. All the same, thanks again. The info you shared is great.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:26 AM

CLS63 AMG
Just for general information, I took my battery in to the dealership and they put it in my car for me. They made me wait an hour and a half while they did it and they charged $230. Complete rip-off.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by opnwyder
Just for general information, I took my battery in to the dealership and they put it in my car for me. They made me wait an hour and a half while they did it and they charged $230. Complete rip-off.
This is the problem with dealerships. They exist to make money, not to help the consumer. How else do they pay for their fancy interiors, service bays that are cleaner than a restaurant, polished floors, etc etc. Dealerships typically charge 300% more than any other. AND they try to make you believe THEY are the only ones on the planet who can touch your car. They also do well because people don't want to get their hands dirty, or take the the time to learn basic mechanical skills, or simply HAVE LOTS OF MONEY TO SPEND. So, kudos to the dealerships. They are masters at the psychological game as well, and will continue to thrive.