C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Looking to buy a cls 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I am looking at selling my SL and getting either the M6 or CLS55/63. Do you really think the CLS has more curb appeal than the M6? Most people think differently. I am curious as to what you guys think. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193591 (read the first 2 guys posts)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=264900&page=3

(read comment from a 6 series owner about my car)

Dont get me wrong, i Do like the M6 alot i wanted a black on black convertible one . but the body style is starting getting old, and will get a redesign eventually, and then it'll take another year or so for the new m6 to be unleashed. Rumors are stating a hard top convertible is in the works, similar to the 3.

Strange thing is i was looking at an 2001 m3 and a 2005 m3, the body was identical.

http://ps1.dlrsp.com/powersite/p2_si...=&excludeMake=

http://ps1.dlrsp.com/powersite/p2_si...=&excludeMake=

i didnt see any difference in body, is this the same for m6? will the 06 look the same as the 09? I dont know. usually they have suttle changes in lights , tail lights, wheels etc...but the body stays the same.

I have a 650 convertible, i dont get that many looks when i drive it. Although it's completely stock.

I would have to say one of the most attractive and most questioned about add on i did was the 360 forged spec5 espresso wheels then , lip spoiler and some diff paint schemes than stock.

IMHO the cls has much more curb appeal. People always look at my car and say "what kind of car is that?", I get lots of neck snapping when i drive that car vs my 6. My 650 is no m6, but yes the performance of the engine is surprising. I def underestimated it, I thought it would be slower. I believe the hp numbers on the site is not correct for mabye insurance reasons.

I dont expect everyone in the forum to agree with me , im just telling what my personal experiences has been since ive owned it. An older guy in a 69 camaro (i think) pulled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up. If i wasnt in the turning lane im sure he would have wanted to have a chat. (looks like he was going to a carshow)

The bottom line is drive them both and make your choice. After all we buy these caliber cars not for the gas mileage but for it's status, prestige, performance.

Sorry to all if im rambling on an on and on but i love my car.

And you are right "you cant go wrong with either"

Last edited by Jocampo; 03-02-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
I think the 2008 6 series might have had subtle changes....I think the tails are LED and something in the headlights is a little different.

I heard they are redoing the 6 for 2011, which is the same I heard for the CLS.

I think the CLS does look a little better but the M6 is a little more rare as compared to the 55/63. I see what Benz did with the SL and updates in 2007 and now a large one in 2009....I am just afraid of buying a CLS and then them doing that. I'm not throwing down $80k for a car in which they will do a moderate update all of a sudden after a year. At least the BMW's stay mostly the same which like it or not keeps their value better.

I like that the M6 is the top of the line BMW. I believe it is the most expensive model of anything they have whereas the CLS AMG isn't even top 5 for Benz.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Lightbulb well said....

well said, Benz has several models above the other brands. They fill in the price points between $120k to $200k.
While everyone wants the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Conti, they have quirks that make them unsuitable as a daily driver. Mercedes build solid daily drivers.
Buy a CLS63, CL63, SL63 or S63 or 65 variant and you can eat cake while the Ferrari guy (as lucky as he is) drives his SUV and wishes it were Sunday.

As far as making a point using economics and ignoring public passion for a particular vehicle might be short sighted. Public passion is exactly what keeps residuals high or kills them. Under economics we should all avoid hot babes and focus on rich ones. You can always get more money but you can only hide her from your friends for so long.

As far an exclusivity the sales figures of the M6 are about 200 per month, exactly the same as the CLS55 was in 06. I don’t have the 07 numbers yet but I could let you know if your interested.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51590

Last edited by turbotom1; 03-02-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
I agree with you on the m6 being top of the line for bmw currently.

But remember you are comparing a 4 door sports coupe to a 2 door sports car. Mercedes has way more models and classes than bmw. So it's not a fair comparison.

Oranges to apples.

S class = 7 series
SL = ?
CL to 6?
Cls = NONE BY BMW
E class to 5
C to 3
Ml to X5
Gl to ?
R to ?
G class to ?
SLK to Z4
Clk to ?
SLR to z8 possibly?
? to 1 series?

So you have to remember the cls55 came in as a last year model to the kompressor 55 engine. And then the new 63 NA engine follows, If the v12 was intergated it would have been top 5 for amg. the cls hasnt been around long enough IMHO. I am going to a AMG private event in nyc in the next 3 weeks , amg engineers will be there for questions, Ill ask them what they have in store for the cls.

See the problem with rare and bmw to me is . 850, Z8, and when they redo those , your m6 wont be top of the line anymore. Bmw has stated that the even number series will be "Special". Once bmw puts the v12 into the 8 series, i am sure mb will follow suit.

http://loadinform.com/the-first-images-of-bmw-8-series/

"main competitors BMW 8-series cars will be such as Mercedes-Benz CLS, Porsche Panamera and Audi A7."

So by this new bold move from bmw, they will push their highest series 8 denomination class (audi 7) ,porsche panawhatevea, Aston martin rapide ,against the cls,in a sales fight . They kinda pushed the cls into the forefront as their main target.

Please dont take offense to what i am saying. I just find that buying a car because its the top of the line model/or most expensive to be a little bit silly. buy the car cause you want the car.

Last edited by Jocampo; 03-02-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:52 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by turbotom1
well said, Benz has several models above the other brands. They fill in the price points between $120k to $200k.
While everyone wants the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Conti, they have quirks that make them unsuitable as a daily driver. Mercedes build solid daily drivers.
Buy a CLS63, CL63, SL63 or S63 or 65 variant and you can eat cake while the Ferrari guy (as lucky as he is) drives his SUV and wishes it were Sunday.

As far as making a point using economics and ignoring public passion for a particular vehicle might be short sighted. Public passion is exactly what keeps residuals high or kills them. Under economics we should all avoid hot babes and focus on rich ones. You can always get more money but you can only hide her from your friends for so long.

As far an exclusivity the sales figures of the M6 are about 200 per month, exactly the same as the CLS55 was in 06. I don’t have the 07 numbers yet but I could let you know if your interested.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51590

well spoken tom i was looking for sales figures on the m series cars verses the amg class.

Another thing to remember is there is many more performance models from amg than the 4 m models from the m group. Amg i believe in 06 made 15000 engines, and ramped it up to 20000 in 07 i believe, tom you have the numbers?

Quote from the internet, Love the last quote.

Despite the CLS's newness and relatively limited production, its influence can already be seen in several design studies introduced at this fall's auto shows. Its profile hints at a broader trend, toward lines that are more fluid and shapes with lower roofs and longer looks.

The CLS has won attention as "a sedan with the lines of a coupe" - a four-door car with a two-door's sporty lines. Mercedes declares that the CLS combines the "elegance and dynamism of a coupe with the comfort and practicality of a saloon." For designers, it is almost a cliché to brag that a new sedan wears a coupe's lines. The CLS really does, though that is not its main virtue.

The CLS's curves are as big and sweeping as Randy Johnson's in his prime. They possess the sprung tension and leaping grace of one of the little bridges in Central Park.

While Mercedes is better known for careful proportions and deliberate, studied evolution than bold strokes of innovation, the CLS has caught the eye of other designers. "It is all about the proportions," said Anne Asensio, an admirer of the car who happens to be the executive director for advanced design at General Motors.

"It's gotten really weird in Germany," said Camilo Pardo, chief designer of the Ford GT supercar and head of the company's Living Legends studio. "A few years ago Mercedes design was as dry as toast - vertical sides, boxy shapes with the personality of a furnace. Now they are designing like Italians."

Last edited by Jocampo; 03-02-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 PM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Originally Posted by Jocampo
I am going to a AMG private event in nyc in the next 3 weeks , amg engineers will be there for questions, Ill ask them what they have in store for the cls.
I'd love to read your feedback on this event. I wonder if the CLS gets the 65 motor...Hmmmm.....
Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
I guess I would have thought there were alot more CLS AMG's than M6. I am curious to know what the other sales figures are for the E55/E63, SL AMG, CL AMG, etc.

I don't think Mercedes has a model to compare against the 6 in that class....I don't think the CLK is it. The CL is definitely not it. BMW has nothing to compare against the CL....really no one does until you get to Bentley GT, etc.

I would have to say that my top 2 choices right now are the CLS or M6. I had the S550 in there....but it would be hard going from the SL/CL to the S. Plus, at the end of the day.....S550's are a common non-performance model and are going to be dime a dozen in a year. I had the Jag XK in that group, too. However, they are Jags....mechnically how good are they really? Plus the Jag name and brand is nowhere what it once was.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM

SL63
Lightbulb 10,000 AMG's divided by 16 models in 07

[QUOTE=Jocampo;2685271]well spoken tom i was looking for sales figures on the m series cars verses the amg class.

Another thing to remember is there is many more performance models from amg than the 4 m models from the m group. Amg i believe in 06 made 15000 engines, and ramped it up to 20000 in 07 i believe, tom you have the numbers?
------------------------------------------------------------

AMG, the performance brand of the Mercedes-Benz Cars division, also had a very successful 2007. Four new models were launched on the market in 2007 — the S 63 AMG, CLK 63 AMG Black Series, CL 63 AMG, and CL 65 AMG. Worldwide, more than 20,000 customers opted to purchase their vehicle of choice from among the 16 AMG models offered. Half of the units sold went to customers in the United States, the main AMG sales market.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/01...ales-year.html
Old 03-02-2008, 04:09 PM

SL63
Lightbulb Jaguar

Originally Posted by mjr24
I guess I would have thought there were alot more CLS AMG's than M6. I am curious to know what the other sales figures are for the E55/E63, SL AMG, CL AMG, etc.

I don't think Mercedes has a model to compare against the 6 in that class....I don't think the CLK is it. The CL is definitely not it. BMW has nothing to compare against the CL....really no one does until you get to Bentley GT, etc.

I would have to say that my top 2 choices right now are the CLS or M6. I had the S550 in there....but it would be hard going from the SL/CL to the S. Plus, at the end of the day.....S550's are a common non-performance model and are going to be dime a dozen in a year. I had the Jag XK in that group, too. However, they are Jags....mechnically how good are they really? Plus the Jag name and brand is nowhere what it once was.
I had a 2004 Supercharged Jaguar and it was repaired three or four times. Once it was down for 6 weeks waiting for a part from England.
My CLS6.3 has 25,000 miles (16 months) and am happy to report not one problem with the car so far.

Three oil changes and I added 1 qt twice between every change. I can report over the course of several long trips with steady driving speeds of 85-100 mph, oil usage spiked to 1 qt every 600-700 miles.

1 set of rear tires, surprised they lasted this long.

All the snaps that hold down the mats broke the first week. Any ideas for a better mat that looks great and fits perfectly ?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM

2007 cls 550
Hey tom is it normal to burn a 1qt of oil every 600-700 miles/
Old 03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Thank you all for your input and your answers to my questions. And to answer Jocampo's question- yes, i prefer go over show, so I guess thats the main difference between E55 and CLS55 owners. Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the CLS- it brought about a new style- but its just not the car for me. And to whoever said the E is MB's Camry... F you. lol, we all know that the C is the Camry. lol. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM

SL63
Wink oil consumption

Some owners who stomp their 63 motor frequently report high oil usage untill they reach 7k-10k miles.
Remember how spoiled we are...500 hp cars did not exist just a year ago. Me - I'll happly buy the oil.
---------------------------------------------------
I own a 2008 S63. I have 5,027 miles on it and in that time it has consumed 5 quarts of oil.
I took it to my local MB dealer to look into it. They drained the oil, replaced the filter and started a "weight test". Basically this weight test is where they weigh the oil put in (in this case 7,500 grams). I'm not allowed to add oil in 1,000 miles to see what the problem is.

Here is the kicker. They tried to charge me $120 for the oil change. I of course disputed it as a Mercedes warranty issue and not mine to pay, they begrudgingly agreed.

Has anyone else had this high level of consumption, basically one quart per 1,000 miles?
----------------------------------------------------
I have had some - told it's normal for these engines and slows down over time. My rates are as follows: 7300 mi - 3/4 qt
9050 mi - 1 qt
9540 - Service A
12307 mi (yesterday) 3/4 qt

In all instances I got a message check oil at next refueling - tends to come on after warm and being pushed.

Clearly your values are way high - keep a log and see - good luck.
'08 S63 - Iridium Silver, Black Premium Leather, Premium III Package, AMG Performance Package, Rear Seat Package & Panorama Sunroof
--------------------------------------------------

If any one thinks this board is harsh on BMW, check these comments out, just brutal...
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...t=60470&page=2

Last edited by turbotom1; 03-02-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:05 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
Thank you all for your input and your answers to my questions. And to answer Jocampo's question- yes, i prefer go over show, so I guess thats the main difference between E55 and CLS55 owners. Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the CLS- it brought about a new style- but its just not the car for me. And to whoever said the E is MB's Camry... F you. lol, we all know that the C is the Camry. lol. Thanks for all the input guys.
LOL! c is for corolla , jk

E55/63 is the ultimate sleeper. i still have the original flyer i got from mb with the demon eyes in the grill.

Last edited by Jocampo; 03-02-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Lol, i have the "Beast Eyes" pic hanging behind my desk, im thinking about actually installing them on my E55
Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Absolutely love the comparisons between both models, great thread!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Porsche Cayenne S
1st Post

Great thread...i am also looking at a CLS 55 AMG to replace my current daily driver and this thread has taught me more in 5 minutes than i knew about the car.

Great site btw...i will look around some more before coming up with some stupid questions for yall

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM

2001 Audi S4 Stage 2+ (sold)
Originally Posted by Centurion
In my opinion, the CLS is the better looking car. Yeah, I could have had a slightly quicker car in the E (weighs less than a CLS), but the appearance of the CLS heavily outweighed that factor. From the front, or 3/4 view, or prophile (low roof line!), or rear...there isn't a single angle I don't love.
I too was on the market for an M5 or CLS63 (M6 wasn't an option because the rear seats are hardly seats at all but I think it looks better than the M5).

So my decision was based on aesthetics.
What is it about the CLS that you don't like?
btw the cls is faster i think due to the weight its lighter lol
Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 AM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Originally Posted by CLS Demon
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Thats cute. Not to say that the CLS is a slow car by any means, but its not FASTER than an E. The speeds are so close that it doesnt really matter to us meer mortals. But here is my question for CLS drivers, do you ever feel like you paid mroe for less? Obviously you got your cars because you like the look more than the E, but do you ever feel like you paid for the higher price tag because of the look? Thanks, and once again, I'm not here to offencd anyone, and I'm sorry if I do.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
But here is my question for CLS drivers, do you ever feel like you paid mroe for less?
i started off liking the E63, and then moved to the CLS63 as the style grew on me... got one in oct last year...
never ever felt that way... everytime I read an article about the redesigned 2009 E class, it reassures my decision even more.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM

SL63
Pam Anderson

Thats cute. Not to say that the CLS is a slow car by any means, but its not FASTER than an E. The speeds are so close that it doesnt really matter to us meer mortals. But here is my question for CLS drivers, do you ever feel like you paid mroe for less? Obviously you got your cars because you like the look more than the E, but do you ever feel like you paid for the higher price tag because of the look? Thanks, and once again, I'm not here to offencd anyone, and I'm sorry if I do.
Bought mine on the car carrier before they even unwraped it. I did pay a premium for the car and walked in eyes wide open. Left with empty pockets, a stupid expression, whiplash neck from trying to see everyones admiring glances.

Why do we pay $150 for jeans?
Ever buy a pam anderson look alike lobster and champagne ?
ipod or Cowon iAudio 7 ?

We make these choices because of a perceived value, vanity or we hope to get luckly.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=398975

Last edited by turbotom1; 03-05-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Lol. I will agree with you about the look of the E63, I dont like the back lights at all, looks like the Camry from a few years back. But no matter how much i love my car, I love the side of the E63 bumper. Those little air slits are beautiful. And I really like how this thread turned out. I hope to see all of you guys out at the meet on Saturday.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM

2001 Audi S4 Stage 2+ (sold)
The cls is a 12.4 and the e55 is a 12.5
the cls weights 4069 and the e55 weights 4087. You guys own the car i would think you guys wouldn't judge the body of the cls fool you. Stats show the cls55 is lighter and faster!
https://mbworld.org/forums/archive/i.../t-106250.html
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
The cls is a 12.4 and the e55 is a 12.5
the cls weights 4069 and the e55 weights 4087. You guys own the car i would think you guys wouldn't judge the body of the cls fool you. Stats show the cls55 is lighter and faster!
https://mbworld.org/forums/archive/i.../t-106250.html
Wow good thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a cls 55