cleaning K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
cleaning K&N air filter

Hi, I just cleaned my K&N according the instruction that come with the recharge kit. however, the manual says after i wash it, the filter should look white again. I attached a pic of the filter after i cleaned it. it still looks red in some parts, I am just wondering it is good enough now or should i wash it again?
and also one more stupid quesiton, which side is the side i should spray the oil on?
Attached Thumbnails cleaning K&N air filter-195.jpg  
Old 12-18-2005, 12:42 AM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by crystal_ice
Hi, I just cleaned my K&N according the instruction that come with the recharge kit. however, the manual says after i wash it, the filter should look white again. I attached a pic of the filter after i cleaned it. it still looks red in some parts, I am just wondering it is good enough now or should i wash it again?
and also one more stupid quesiton, which side is the side i should spray the oil on?
well there will always be some red in it, it looks pretty good to me. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT: apply the oil to the side that faces up (not the side that goes into the supercharger, or the downside), and what ever you do dont apply a lot, you only need a little on them. KN filters are notorious for being too "oily" and can screw up MAF sensors with the oil getting on them, so make sure you dont put a lot on....
Old 12-18-2005, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
and when done applying the oil, sit it in the open to let it air dry before putting it back in.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
Thanks a lot for the replies. I will be very carefull when i apply the oil
Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
HI, i finished oiling the filter last nite and let it dry overnite. Here is how the filter looks now, is it red enough ?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails cleaning K&N air filter-198.jpg  
Old 12-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

'05 C55 AMG '15 Jeep SRT '11 G37S
That's too red. It didn't clean right IMO. Did you use the K&N cleaning spray or something else, 'cause when I clean mine (on my Jeep, not MB), they come out pretty darned white afterwards. Spray it on and let it SOAK, for a long time. Hose it off.....should look very white.

Also, after drying, when spraying on the (red) oil, less is better! I spray both sides lightly. I've too many horror stories about when people over-spray....

good luck