C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Bixenon connector harness melting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
Bixenon connector harness melting?

Dealer is trying to blame xenon failures on me.

When I traded my car in, I didn't put the standing light bulb in and I left one xenon d2s bulb out.

They said they turned on the headlamps and then they burned out because it didnt have bulbs in the car.

They said that i am invovled in this mess because I took out the bulbs and didnt put them back into the headlamp unit, therefore it blew out.

I spoke to one of the friendly mechanics and said that the xenons shouldnt burn out because there were no bulbs in the unit.

anyone can verify this?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Lets see: The stealer is full of it! From an electrical load point of view you had nothing but the ballast. That in turn was connected to an OPEN circuit. Enough said.

Remember that it is stealer's job to keep costs down in order to get MB bonuses. And don't you doubt that they haven't figured out which is more profitable to them.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by derrick_lui
Dealer is trying to blame xenon failures on me.

When I traded my car in, I didn't put the standing light bulb in and I left one xenon d2s bulb out.

They said they turned on the headlamps and then they burned out because it didnt have bulbs in the car.

They said that i am invovled in this mess because I took out the bulbs and didnt put them back into the headlamp unit, therefore it blew out.

I spoke to one of the friendly mechanics and said that the xenons shouldnt burn out because there were no bulbs in the unit.

anyone can verify this?
Who knows what the problem is .... not sure I would run non standard bulbs in a Mercedes anyhoo.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Heh Derrick,

Man you are not have much luck are you........??

Just a point for reference. When I upgraded my bulbs to PIAA Cobalts I had a problem with one of the bulbs (NO laughing MNG). As part of the fix I drove about 10 miles to a friendly local dealer to reinstall the OEM bulbs ( I wasn't about to screw up any more bulbs) while MNG ordered another set of Cobalts. I did the 10 mile drive with NO bulb in the drivers side. It cooked the connector cause it arced on the drive over. The lights come on as part of the daytime running light thing and with the bulb missing there was nothing to complete the curcuit and caflooie, it cooked like a marshmello on a stick. Fortunately the dealer took pity and replaced the whole assembly under warranty and everything worked out.

I checked the Owmers Manual and it does not say anywhere not to operate the car with a bulb removed so maybe you have some recourse with your unforegiving dealer....
Good luck buddy.

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 02-26-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
Heh Derrick,

Man you are not have much luck are you........??

Just a point for reference. When I upgraded my bulbs to PIAA Cobalts I had a problem with one of the bulbs (NO laughing MNG). As part of the fix I drove about 10 miles to a friendly local dealer to reinstall the OEM bulbs ( I wasn't about to screw up any more bulbs) while MNG ordered another set of Cobalts. I did the 10 mile drive with NO bulb in the drivers side. It cooked the connector cause it arched on the drive over. The lights come on as part of the daytime running light thing and with the bulb missing there was nothing to complete the curcuit and caflooie, it cooked like a marshmello on a stick. Fortunately the dealer took pity and replaced the whole assembly under warranty and everything worked out.

I checked the Owmers Manual and it does not say anywhere not to operate the car with a bulb removed so maybe you have some recourse with your unforegiving dealer....
Good luck buddy.
5 years from now the USA version of the owners manual will get about 10 inches thicker and be stored inside the spare wheel. 15 pages of information and 500 pages of what NOT to do.

It DOES say to take your car to a workshop and not to do it yourself unless you are going to replace it with the SAME lamp. In which case you would leave the old lamp in place till it can be replaced.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
If you traded the car in, did you offer the dealer a warranty? If I got a call from a dealer complaining about a missing lamp or a bad socket, I would tell them "UFO" which means "you freaking own it."

I can see an electrical arc from the ignitor flashing on an empty socket, and laying a carbon track in the process. That would require changing the insulator (which is probably part of an assembly.) In any case, if you don't own the car, it can't be your problem.

I don't see any possibility for harm from omitting the parking (standing) lamps.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
I don't know what the problem is but if one takes a xenon bulb out of a xenon headlight and leaves the connector that goes onto that actual xenon bulb UNCONNECTED in the headlight IT WILL CAUSE INTERNAL DAMAGE in the headlight due to the high voltage arc that keeps jumping from the unconnected connector...so in short: if they complain about an internally damaged headlight due to you taking the bulb out and leaving the xenon bulb connector unconnected, they are absolutely right (sorry).

If they complain about some other kind of wiring damage outside the headlight itself - it is BS.

greetingz,