C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Purge valve ticking - dealer says it's 'normal'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Purge valve ticking - dealer says it's 'normal'

Took my car in for a host of things, but one of them was the purge valve tapping noise.

http://www.mediaonthestreet.com/bifp...ckingnoise.wmv

I played this for them, and they said "yeah, that's the sound it makes when it's working"

Which contradicts some reports I've read on this board. They say it's fine.

What the tech said it does is take un-burnt gas and send it to a charcoal filter.

Then my intermittent power issues. They say 'feels fast to me' when I take them out in it. I drive this C32 and my wife's 320 - I'm telling you, sometimes, they might as well be the same car. I'm getting it dyno'd next week - will be very interesting. After that I'll hook it up to some diagnostics and take it for a run I guess.

I wish I could trust any of them - I'd heard that this thing does other stuff too. Not only that, the tech I talked to about the 1500 rpm jerk (which has come BACK) said that MB has told them not to replace any trannys from glycol contamination. How can they have a blanket rule for something like that - really for something that should be a damn recall for anyways - like just about every other farked up system on this car?

You know - I can understand that these things are complex and that there will always be problems, but it would be so much less frustrating if the dealers weren't farkers. I'd like to take this current shop at it's word for some of these things, but I hear so much BS (or ignorance, I'll grant) bandied about mixed in with the truth that you and up having to be an ******* to get anything done about these issues.

It's too bad, because I love AMG and Mercedes cars, styling, polish, power - but right now, where is it...it's in a farking garage somewhere. I hate just about everything else too - Lexus, BMW - maybe I'll try and S4?...****!!!

OK - so rant=off - anyone else think this purge valve sound is normal?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
This can be taken care of by the dealer adding a harness that was designed to fix this problem. I had this problem fixed a few months ago for about $20.00.

Go to this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/134657-2002-amg-c32-ticking-noise-while-idling.html

Last edited by C240-Merc; 04-18-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Heh, I started that other thread. I don't think I really got that the bracket that was refered to in there just mitigated it's sound. How hard is it to put this part on - my dealer says they won't do it.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:26 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, its not normal for the purge valve to do that, mine does it too...when i get some time this summer, i am going to replace it...
Old 04-18-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I don't think I really got that the bracket that was refered to in there just mitigated it's sound. How hard is it to put this part on - my dealer says they won't do it.

I don't know how hard it was for the dealer to install the bracket, I can't imagine it being that hard. At the time my car needed service "A" done, when I brought it in to the dealer I had a print out of what I posted on the other thread and gave it to the SA. He then looked up the part number and was able to find it in their parts department. If your dealer won't do it for you then it sounds like you need to find a new one.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
next thing you asked them if the car can grow wings and fly. I bet they will say it's supposed to do that or that's not covered under warranty .