C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Wrong Front Sway Bar!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
Wrong Front Sway Bar!

Finally, after four weeks, I got my baby back from the dealer. Both my outside mirrors had been vandalized, and among other things both front doors had to be fixed and repainted.

I also had the service people do my 'A' service, and I had them check for 'clunking' sound in the front suspension (I've got the extended warranty)

The technician discovered that for some reason my car has the 'regular' (non-AMG) front anti-sway bar! The AMG version is of course thicker. Apparently the mistake was made at build-time. Unbelievable!

They said MB would replace it out at no charge, but of course the bar has to be shipped from Germany and no one knows how long that will take.

Maybe my car will handle better now!

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Mine did not ship with a Non-AMG front bar, but I installed one about 2 years ago from a C240 and it made very little difference. You may find the handling better or worse after they install it. It all depends on how you drive and what your expectations are.

Also, I am not sure how a Non-AMG bar could have been installed because someone would have to drill out the holes in the bar to install it.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Hmmm, does not sound right. Get the tech to give you diameter of the current bar.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG
That sounds almost impossible to believe. AMG's aren't even built in the same factory as non-AMG's. Actually they aren't built in the same city!

Maybe someone at a Benz dealership or somewhere else that the car was taken exchanged it? Are you the first and only owner?

Tee_Tz.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
And if it's true, complain to Mercedes-Benz USA, tell them you were driving a C320 all this time! Maybe they'll give you some $$ back...

Tee_Tz.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 PM

2002 c32
Along these lines - I put H-sport sways on my S4 and it made a huge difference, so I'm looking at something for the C32 - would these be higher performance than stock?

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...RS.SUS.M03.W01

Thanks and sorry for the thread-jack, but it seems at least somewhat on-topic
Old 05-17-2007, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Along these lines - I put H-sport sways on my S4 and it made a huge difference, so I'm looking at something for the C32 - would these be higher performance than stock?

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...RS.SUS.M03.W01

Thanks and sorry for the thread-jack, but it seems at least somewhat on-topic
There's a great thread on this. Try a search.

Short answer is that there are a few options (H&R, Evosport, ???) and all but one are nominally thicker than the AMG bar (I think Carlsenn is the same or thinner), and therefore should reduce understeer. I'm not tempted by them simply because a stiffer bar will make the lack of a LSD even more evident. You could probably have the same improvement by having a "softer" front sway bar -- so maybe the guy who started this thread has a killer setup!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
here's the rest of the swaybars that are available. courtesy of idrivefast

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....5&postcount=15