C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Amg C55 Staying At High Rpm While Driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG
Amg C55 Staying At High Rpm While Driving?

Was up Guys. I am new to this form, i just picked up a new C55 AMG and i must say before i did that i got most of my info from this site and you guys really know what ur talking about, the car is AMAZING, i just parted with my supercharged G35 done by Stillen, which was alot of fun but moved on.

Well after driving the car i noticed that the RPMs stays at a high rate even not full throttling, when i mean high it stays at the 3000 3200 mark with a rar.
as well when i drive at a slow paste acceleration its changes gear at same peak.

does any one else experience the same thing is that normal?
your insight please.

Thanks. -blackroof

Last edited by BLACKROOF C55; 06-14-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
I just got a C55 a month ago as well and noticed something similar. It seems when you accelerate quickly and then let off the gas... the car tends to stay in the higher RPM range for a couple seconds before upshifting.

if you're accerlating slowly, it shouldn't be shifting so high all the time.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
That is normal, especially if you've been driving fast (lots of throttle) in S mode. The transmission is adaptive and will automatically hold the gear and delay upshifts to keep the engine at higher rpm's so you can get instant power if you want to. However, if you drive more sedately, it will revert to a more relaxed shift mode and upshift at lower rpm's. Remember, you can always manually upshift or downshift with the gear lever or buttons on the back anytime you want if you want more control. If you want complete control, move into M mode.

In the city when I can't really go that fast, I usually keep my car in C mode, which gives a much more typical "benz" type of shift, smooth, and at lower rpm's to minimize the jerkiness.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by BLACKROOF C55
Was up Guys. I am new to this form, i just picked up a new C55 AMG and i must say before i did that i got most of my info from this site and you guys really know what ur talking about, the car is AMAZING, i just parted with my supercharged G35 done by Stillen, which was alot of fun but moved on.

Well after driving the car i noticed that the RPMs stays at a high rate even not full throttling, when i mean high it stays at the 3000 3200 mark with a rar.
as well when i drive at a slow paste acceleration its changes gear at same peak.

does any one else experience the same thing is that normal?
your insight please.

Thanks. -blackroof
Kind of hard to figure out what you're saying, but it could be the transmission software detecting your "spirited" driving and setting shift points accordingly. If it continues to shift late (high RPM) after you've driven around for a while (5 min.) slowly, then it's NOT normal.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53
it does the same to the non AMG w203s. when you step on it real fast and let go. it will auto downshift for you thinking that you need to speed up..but its too slow to auto shift up again.... so, your car is fine.

nice pick on the C55
Old 06-14-2007, 11:38 AM

C55 AMG
Thanks guys . its good to know that I am not the only one feeling the same thing. i know the M- Mode is Manual the S Mode is Sport and the C is Cruse? is that correct..

I was looking to invest in the ECU upgrade for the C55, any recommendations. I called Powerchip, and had a respectful conversation with the project manager, and he sounds pretty sure and confident about the product. any one has the upgrade?

-blackroof.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 PM

2006 C55/400HP HONDA S2000
TO BE EXACT C IS FOR COMFORT yes my c55 also does the same like someone said before its adaptive ........ and if you see this means your driving the car like you should !!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by BLACKROOF C55
Thanks guys . its good to know that I am not the only one feeling the same thing. i know the M- Mode is Manual the S Mode is Sport and the C is Cruse? is that correct..

I was looking to invest in the ECU upgrade for the C55, any recommendations. I called Powerchip, and had a respectful conversation with the project manager, and he sounds pretty sure and confident about the product. any one has the upgrade?

-blackroof.
Excellent idea. I'm sure software will help a great amount.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Please do chip it (renntech or powerchip or whateva), dyno it and share the numbers with us..
I'm curious how much hp $1000 can get you..
Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Please do chip it (renntech or powerchip or whateva), dyno it and share the numbers with us..
I'm curious how much hp $1000 can get you..
+1... I think a before dyno then an after dyno with software will be awesome.