C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Track results K&N, GREENS, STOCK FILTERS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by Thericker
You know what you need to try now? is NO Filter at all on (1) run I've read a lot of drag racers do this (it wont hurt your car)

DO NOT DO THIS !!!!

This was in my airbox. No filter would have led to destroyed supercharger:
Old 10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Sidez
thank you..

Very good information, but also some have mentioned why not try to run the car without an air filter and see the results
Honestly I will decide next time I track it but my main goal is to see results from a everyday ride don't really care about what it can do with drag tires and other applications that's momentary and not everyday. Also it helps me understand what mods should follow next instead of the norm.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

DO NOT DO THIS !!!!

Yes I did see that imagine if the filter wasn't there. What funny is it was under the filter but it most likely held it in place....thank God!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Ok well regardless of what you do have, if you only changed the type of filter between these runs, you can attribute most of the gains to that alone. So is that the case? Oh and were track temps the same (or close) in each run?
Well the LSD alone can make the runs better on average the temperature was pretty even. I tested the aftermarket filters about 30-45 minutes of each other so the temp didn't change much and the engine was cooler. The best results happened in the 3rd and 4th run with the same person driving after the install and cooling time. The driver I used also got to try AMG-Jerry's C32 and Samas's W210 E55 and Wayne's(ChicagoX) W211 E55 and did 13 flat on 1st run on Jerry's car and I think about 13.76 on Samas car W210 E55 and like 12.17 on Waynes's E55 W211. So he did get in alot of practice I managed a 13.51 myself as personal best on my C32.

Last edited by c32used; 10-19-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
The electronic "fake" LSD will make the car feel like it has LSD. Not in all situations, but in a drag race, it will stop one wheel from spinning madly.
Pretty much the LSD was confirmed by ChicagoX while we were there and I can do full donuts while a non-LSD C32 can only achieve about a quarter turn most of the time.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
c32used. thanks so much for that!!!! much appreciated! I'll go with K&N's...i had been trying to decide for awhile now. Do you have K&N's yourself too?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by zoomie
c32used. thanks so much for that!!!! much appreciated! I'll go with K&N's...i had been trying to decide for awhile now. Do you have K&N's yourself too?
Yes I do. When I bought and installed the Green filters I found out the previous owner installed them so I kept them so I can clean and reuse them. I am now able to maintain Greens or K&N filters in the car all the time

If you want to know my preferance well I personaly like the Greens better. They seem to be felt more when you step on it while the K&N shows better after 330' of the results on the slip.

Last edited by c32used; 10-19-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:37 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by c32used
Well the LSD alone can make the runs better on average the temperature was pretty even. I tested the aftermarket filters within 30-45 minutes
Ok yeah but since the LSD is a constant in all the runs, the only variable is the filter (unless you filled up on race fuel at the track between runs). So this looks pretty damn good

Any different in MPG too? I would think there should be a slight gain.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Ok yeah but since the LSD is a constant in all the runs, the only variable is the filter (unless you filled up on race fuel at the track between runs). So this looks pretty damn good

I was hoping that would increase but it doesn't my car is driven fairly normal most of the time and I get an average 16mpg on the streets and like 22mpg on the expressways
Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002

The LSD will make a difference ask a few members here like JGSX and they will confirm. Plus think why is it that the STI and EVO do so well of the line its cause more drive wheels so if the C32 uses one wheel mostly then the results should be better with two right?

Well reread your question and yes the only variable is the filters.

Last edited by c32used; 10-19-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:07 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Hmm, well I guess we need someone with a bone stock C32 to try out the different filters then. I bet they come up with similar gains tho. I still feel like the LSD will have an effect (say a non-equipped car would do a 13.9 on stock filters but the LSD equipped one would do 13.5 or so). However, there still should be incremental gains that match, and the stock car would have that .4sec loss each run.

I dunno maybe my logic is off.

Do you have any pics of the different filters?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Hmm, well I guess we need someone with a bone stock C32 to try out the different filters then. I bet they come up with similar gains tho. I still feel like the LSD will have an effect (say a non-equipped car would do a 13.9 on stock filters but the LSD equipped one would do 13.5 or so). However, there still should be incremental gains that match, and the stock car would have that .4sec loss each run.

I dunno maybe my logic is off.

Do you have any pics of the different filters?
Well bone stock with the factory filters the C32 is suppose to be capable of 13.5s anyway. I really wanted to see if I had a strong C32 since I heard there are weaker ones out there. I dynoed with both filters and weather and one brand being dirty made the difference in power to the wheel different so I have to try the K&N filter again but clean and about the same weather.

Dirty K&N filters got me like 275hp to the rear wheels on a much warmer day while clean Greens got me 299hp to the rear wheels on a colder day by like 8-10 degrees.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
As for pics well visit Greenfilters.com or K&Nfilters.com cause I presently have one of the 2 in the car right now.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Well bone stock with the factory filters the C32 is suppose to be capable of 13.5s anyway. I really wanted to see if I had a strong C32 since I heard there are weaker ones out there.
c32used - unless I'm reading it wrong, your sig. says that your car w/ stock filters ran 13.9 ... I'm assuming this is with all of your other mods (i.e. densos, magnacors, LSD, etc.)

So, if a stronger bone-stock C32 can run 13.5s, and yours ran 13.9, are you saying that you unfortunately ended up with one of the weaker stock C32s, and it took aftermarket plugs, wires, filters, and LSD to just level the playing field with a stronger stock C32?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

DO NOT DO THIS !!!!

Woah! I forgot you guys don't have MAF's my bad...
Old 10-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG - RIP :(
my factory stock 2002 C32 will do full donuts and it doesn't have any aftermarket limited slip.

The best way to test if it really does have a limited slip is to put the car in Dyno Mode. This compeltely disables the electronic "limited slip". If you can still burn both tires from a stop then you probably do have the aftermarket LSD. If you haven't done this, then my guess is you don't have one.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
c32used - unless I'm reading it wrong, your sig. says that your car w/ stock filters ran 13.9 ... I'm assuming this is with all of your other mods (i.e. densos, magnacors, LSD, etc.)

So, if a stronger bone-stock C32 can run 13.5s, and yours ran 13.9, are you saying that you unfortunately ended up with one of the weaker stock C32s, and it took aftermarket plugs, wires, filters, and LSD to just level the playing field with a stronger stock C32?

Its unbelievable how some people react here but once home I shall respond with a proper responce ok.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by 1FSTAMG
my factory stock 2002 C32 will do full donuts and it doesn't have any aftermarket limited slip.

The best way to test if it really does have a limited slip is to put the car in Dyno Mode. This compeltely disables the electronic "limited slip". If you can still burn both tires from a stop then you probably do have the aftermarket LSD. If you haven't done this, then my guess is you don't have one.
i shall respond to this also
Old 10-21-2007, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Its unbelievable how some people react here but once home I shall respond with a proper responce ok.
Hey, whoa there... I'm not trying to be a smart-***, or sarcastic, and I sincerely applaud your track-tested research w/ all the filters tested. Frankly, you've single-handedly convinced me to try a set of K&Ns in my car at some point... which, up until now, I'd decided was pointless.

I think it sucks that there's so much variation in stock C32s power output, but I guess when you look at the forced-induction design of our cars, differences are probably inevitable.

I couldn't figure out if you were trying to say "yeah, unfortunately I seem to have one of the weaker ones, because after upgraded filters, plugs, wires, SL55 splitter, sprintbooster, and a LSD, I'm able to run 13.43 - and stronger bone-stock C32s run 13.5 right off the bat" - your post seemed to suggest that IMHO.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:10 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter

I couldn't figure out if you were trying to say "yeah, unfortunately I seem to have one of the weaker ones, because after upgraded filters, plugs, wires, SL55 splitter, sprintbooster, and a LSD, I'm able to run 13.43 - and stronger bone-stock C32s run 13.5 right off the bat" - your post seemed to suggest that IMHO.
From what I read on this forum, this is no big surprise. Not sure how much power the SL 55 will gain for you, but this and the filters may translate to some better performance. The rest of the upgrades are relatively minor or no performance impacting (like sprint booster). Take this into account along with quality of tires, different weather conditions plus skill in launching at the drag strip and I can see how these result may reconcile.

Though, this thread convinced me to seriously look at K&N or Greens.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thanks for the backup GKSTAR

Originally Posted by gkstar
From what I read on this forum, this is no big surprise. Not sure how much power the SL 55 will gain for you, but this and the filters may translate to some better performance. The rest of the upgrades are relatively minor or no performance impacting (like sprint booster). Take this into account along with quality of tires, different weather conditions plus skill in launching at the drag strip and I can see how these result may reconcile.

Though, this thread convinced me to seriously look at K&N or Greens.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Hey c32used:

I appreciated your info AND TIME as well. It backed up what my G-tech recorded, and what I have know for years with other cars.

THANKS for the GREAT work

See yeah my friend
Old 10-22-2007, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Hey, whoa there... I'm not trying to be a smart-***, or sarcastic, and I sincerely applaud your track-tested research w/ all the filters tested. Frankly, you've single-handedly convinced me to try a set of K&Ns in my car at some point... which, up until now, I'd decided was pointless.

I think it sucks that there's so much variation in stock C32s power output, but I guess when you look at the forced-induction design of our cars, differences are probably inevitable.

Not gonna argue over it. I have read about C32s out there not being as strong as factory claims. Just cause the factory states it doesn't mean those numbers are easily attainable. They come out with those results by a professional rider in a closed track session and post the best run on average. There are many factors that can cause a car to under-perform and I would presume that not everyone will have a great result on first time at track but some will. I by no means feel my stock C32 as a weak car. I read threads here stating low to mid 14s quarter miles on cars that have "real hp causing" mods next to me. "1FSTAMG" I presume I have a LSD installed since ChicagoX tested it and he definitely knows more then me about cars I was actually quite amazed with ChicagoX various degree of high knowledge in alot of car related things. Guys I posted these figures for you all in this forum to see. Though the K&N do slightly better I still prefer the Green filters. Those are the best out of three each for every filter. I ran my car 8-12 times after that test in the afternoon to see what I can do and I managed a 13.51 best on Greens. Maybe I can do better by putting on better tires cause I have 235s 17" all around where the results that the factory uses are with Factory set tires and I have permanent additional weight also which can cause slower times also helping the car to stay within factory claims instead of exceeding them. AMG-Jerrys' car had serious spin issues even when rolling once he hit the juice and he had street-drag radios. So there are many variables here. I searched the forum for any really good threads about aftermarket filters and still was left not really knowing anything so I posted here to help some members to really learn a diffence if any. I just want to say take it as it comes. This is only informational type of thread not anything else.

In all I am very happy with my cars' results.

Last edited by c32used; 10-22-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey c32used:

I appreciated your info AND TIME as well. It backed up what my G-tech recorded, and what I have know for years with other cars.

THANKS for the GREAT work

See yeah my friend
Thanks!!!
There are always doubters everywhere you go so believe me when I say I will not let anything or anyone deter me from posting things I feel is good for our forum to know.

be safe
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by 1FSTAMG

" It only a question " Ok what if the rear of the car is picked/jacked up letting the rear wheels spin freely and spinning one wheel by hand and the other rear wheel doesn't move....can that be used also? I will try if I remember next track time to try the method you posted. The way I see it is if I have it great cause I won't fork out the cash to buy one and get it installed. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track results K&N, GREENS, STOCK FILTERS!