C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Thinking about purchasing a C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a new ride.
Thinking about purchasing a C55

First post on the forums!! I'm thinking about picking up a used 2005 C55 AMG with about 56k miles. What are some things to consider when making this purchase? I'm looking at either the C55 AMG or the 2006 C330i with 29k miles. I've already priced out the insurance and all that jazz, but the only thing I can't find any information on is maintenance. How much can I expect to pay for maintenance? And how much do you guys pay for maintenance and do you guys do it yourself? Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Toadfart
First post on the forums!! I'm thinking about picking up a used 2005 C55 AMG with about 56k miles. What are some things to consider when making this purchase? I'm looking at either the C55 AMG or the 2006 C330i with 29k miles. I've already priced out the insurance and all that jazz, but the only thing I can't find any information on is maintenance. How much can I expect to pay for maintenance? And how much do you guys pay for maintenance and do you guys do it yourself? Thanks in advance!!
Those two cars are not in the same league. You would probably want to at least compare the C55 to the 335 turbo engine since it can be modified easily to match or even surpass the C55 in power.

The C55, in my opinion, is an overall better car. Not only you will get a strong engine, but you get all the AMG goodies: suspension, body kits, quad-exhaust note, AMG Speedshift transmission, paddle shifters, wheels, and of course, the legendary AMG badges The C55 will be better in straightline performance, handling, and even luxury.

Yes, the C55 may cost a little higher to maintain, but you can always save money by avoiding the dealer. You can order parts online (wholesale pricing), and install yourself or through independent euro mechanics.

The 335 is really good only if you're going to mod it. Who can resist, an 80 to 100 hp increase for just $1500 bucks
Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Those two cars are not in the same league. You would probably want to at least compare the C55 to the 335 turbo engine since it can be modified easily to match or even surpass the C55 in power.

The 335 is really good only if you're going to mod it. Who can resist, an 80 to 100 hp increase for just $1500 bucks

+1
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 AM

looking for a new ride.
The reason I listed the two cars is because of price. I found a C55 AMG for $29k and also a 2006 330i for the same price. The only reason why I am not 100% set on the C55 is because it is out of warranty and according to Carfax, the owner drove close to 30k a year. The 330i would be within the warranty period and has much lower mileage.

I really DO want the C55, but I'm just scared if something would happen, I'd be screwwwwwd.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Toadfart
The reason I listed the two cars is because of price. I found a C55 AMG for $29k and also a 2006 330i for the same price. The only reason why I am not 100% set on the C55 is because it is out of warranty and according to Carfax, the owner drove close to 30k a year. The 330i would be within the warranty period and has much lower mileage.

I really DO want the C55, but I'm just scared if something would happen, I'd be screwwwwwd.
Your fears are absolutely justified. Owning an AMG without warranty is almost financial suicide. But that is easily solved by finding one that is still covered under warranty or extended warranty. Most dealers are happy to offer extended warranty. Yes, they charge a little extra, but trust me, having owned Mercedes vehicles all my life, warranty on a Mercedes is a must; it is definately well worth it. And even in worst case scenario (if dealer won't extend warranty), find an after-market warranty company that will. There are plenty of them out there with competitive pricing.

I would go with the C55 (I know I'm bias, my screen name gives it away: MercedesBenz_Forever, but trust me, you'll feel how I feel after driving the C55). If the C55 doesn't work out, at least aim for the 335 turbo. Good luck and keep us all updated.........
Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG Silver Bullet
The C55 is a great solid car... yhea is has its issues in the power steering issues as well as electronics. but its a great drive and i feel spoiled driving it everyday... even if i only put 2 miles on it a day.. LOL

i wouldnt mind selling mine for 36k

let me know if you want pics..

maintanance wise.. well i hope i stay away from the shop .. considering all the work the've put into my car its insane.. i feel like i'm driving a brand new car... they even replaced the windshield .. so the car is ****

i just need my star grill flat badge and some bbs lm's

oh the maintance is Service A and Service B Service A $169 service B $230

other then that the oil change is cheaper if you go to the dealer

the oil filter is the wierdest i've seen in any of my cars to date.. it looks more like a tampon on a stick LOL
Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM

a Black
Although I have a thread about trading my C55 for a CLS....I love the C55. It is just flat-out solid. Having owned a few BMW's....the C is just better. Now, I have not driven the new 3, yet....but the C55 is great. You gotta drive one to really beleive it.

Wow 30k miles a year!!!! OMG. I barely do 3k a year.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

U got pm.