C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

It was the s/c intercooler coolant pump. Fixed now.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
It was the s/c intercooler coolant pump. Fixed now.

I swapped the original pump for the Ford Lightning / Bosch pump. Install was pretty easy. It's still a pretty tight area to work in - especially getting the hoses off. No more power drop-offs. I hooked the old pump up to a DC 9V source and it was free spinning but very slow.

I did not come away with great confidence that the new pump will hold up. It's a less robust pump (appearance and hardware) than the original pump. Old pump had a metal housing while the Lightning pump is plastic. Original pump had a drain tube, I suspect to protect the pump if the impeller leaks coolant into the electric motor. Lightning pump has no drain. The new pump impeller cap is held on with cheap philips-head screws that were hard to remove without stripping the heads. I got them all back in, but partially stripped the head on each one.

If I need to go with the Johnson pump, at least I know how to do it.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
nice job.....just make sure you blead the system well and good to go!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I swapped the original pump for the Ford Lightning / Bosch pump. Install was pretty easy. It's still a pretty tight area to work in - especially getting the hoses off. No more power drop-offs. I hooked the old pump up to a DC 9V source and it was free spinning but very slow.

I did not come away with great confidence that the new pump will hold up. It's a less robust pump (appearance and hardware) than the original pump. Old pump had a metal housing while the Lightning pump is plastic. Original pump had a drain tube, I suspect to protect the pump if the impeller leaks coolant into the electric motor. Lightning pump has no drain. The new pump impeller cap is held on with cheap philips-head screws that were hard to remove without stripping the heads. I got them all back in, but partially stripped the head on each one.

I had the ford bosch pump on my c32 for over 2 years...no issues ...still works

but I should replace for the cm30 which in my opinion works a bit harder based on touch and feel on my 2 cars.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
We finally popped your cherry

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring

Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Bif powell
We finally popped your cherry
god thats funny....