C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Adding components to OEM radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Adding components to OEM radio

I have this stock deck - for whatever reason the previous owner never got a changer, so looking to add one finally.

I bought this changer and picked up a fiber optic cable as well:

Does the fact that there is a CD button on my deck necessarily mean that I can just put a changer in the glove box and plug it all in? When I've taken the dash apart, I can't see any obvious places to make all this work.

Also, I currently have this sub and would like to put in this Infiniti - would that even help/be possible/pay off?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Pretty sure the head units auto-detect the changers, but somebody correct me if I'm talking out of my ***.

And the sub more than likely will not work, since it's not meant to play without an enclosure (I'm assuming it's not an open air sub). The stock Bose amp might or might not even power it worth a damn, even if it the "mounting" would work for it.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg
radio

why not change the stereo too??mine is similier,just found out it dont have fast forward and rewindit only can skip the next track or before
Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by c32 dan
why not change the stereo too??mine is similier,just found out it dont have fast forward and rewindit only can skip the next track or before
Hold down those skip buttons and they ff and rw, pretty sure.

I'm toying with just doing something like the AVIC, which seems nice, but if I can do something quick and dirty, that's fine since I have all the parts.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
is the FO cable and OEM cable? the MC3010 normally terminates at a wide, flat
plug at the cable. in my head, i'm seeing a L-plug going into the head unit.
i'm intrigued that you had to buy the FO cable. i was under the impression that
US models all came equipped with them; perhaps I am wrong. you didn't mention
but there should also be a small 3-pin power connection/wire into the changer
as well. (i think i have a photo here somewhere of the rear of 3010)

Last edited by raymond g-; 07-27-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the fiber optic on one end should look like the one with green cap in this picture or was it both. forgot. you should need two cables one fiber optic and one power cable. the CD changer is self recognized once connected.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:26 AM

2002 C32 AMG
The CD changer will have to be "added" or "coded" to the D2B ring, using SDS diagnostic computer. It will not just play by plugging it in. Also, being a U.S. model car, it should already have the fiber optic cable in car, usually in glove box, although you will have to find it hidden behind glove box somewhere.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:42 AM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by hammertime21
The CD changer will have to be "added" or "coded" to the D2B ring, using SDS diagnostic computer. It will not just play by plugging it in. Also, being a U.S. model car, it should already have the fiber optic cable in car, usually in glove box, although you will have to find it hidden behind glove box somewhere.
Helpful picture raymond, thanks!

Hammer, can I have my dealer do that or will they have some rule that prevents them from turning that on?...who else will have this ability?

I'll check the glove box for that, will the power be back there as well? Also, if the fiber cable is back there, is it a good bet that it runs to the proper place on the head unit, or am I looking at some finagling there as well?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 PM

2002 C32 AMG
The dealer can do it, or find a good independant shop that really knows about mercedes benz vehicles and has a SDS machine. the can program it and find fiber optic cable and power wire connector (which both should be behind glove box). Think of the fiber optic cable as a big loop that goes around your car. you are just adding or removing components to the "ring"
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
that's odd. my CDC was put in by an audio shop aftermarket using oem parts. I'm pretty positive the guy did the install didn't bring the STAR since I watched him did it at my house on the driveway.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Frank W, then probably what it was, you car was already "coded" to "see" the cd changer. I dont know your cars history, maybe it had a cd changer from factory and it was removed, or it was coded to see a cd changer from factory, but didnt have one. but that is neither here nor there. anyways, Bif, if you install factory oem cd changer and it doesnt work, it just has to be programmed to see it in the fiber optic ring.

Frank, the carlsson body and BBS wheels work very well, nicely done!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
as I recall, US models come with the fiber cable simply because the marketing
pattern show buyers here overwhelmingly favor the changer, whereas in Europe
this isn't as popular an accouterment. thus, it's also likely that version coding
was already set for a CD changer on US cars. where this gets a bit more
challenging is when one is adding a cell phone, also a part of the fiber loop.
almost always will this need version coding via SDS. I've worked on approx half
dozen W210s which were D2B compliant and never had I had to use SDS to
activate a changer I was installing. so far, knock knock, it does so upon power
on....or, battery cable disconnect as if this method of 'cold booting' was sufficient.

this is anecdotal...and based on my own hands-on. natch, I'll defer to folks
like SteveK or Sunil with their vast technical hands-on with OEM add-ons,
especially D2B accessorizing.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Frank W, then probably what it was, you car was already "coded" to "see" the cd changer. I dont know your cars history, maybe it had a cd changer from factory and it was removed, or it was coded to see a cd changer from factory, but didnt have one. but that is neither here nor there. anyways, Bif, if you install factory oem cd changer and it doesnt work, it just has to be programmed to see it in the fiber optic ring.

Frank, the carlsson body and BBS wheels work very well, nicely done!
thanks

nah..the changer was installed the second wk I bought the car. I'm the one and only owner.