C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sputter resolved - Magnecor Wires faulty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Talking Sputter resolved - Magnecor Wires faulty

I recently purchased the Code3 SC pulley and intake, installed it and the car developed a splutter along with a few CEL codes (p2050, P2051, P2055).

At the time I thought it was the C3 SC pulley belt slipping or perhaps needed an ECU tune.

In any case I got the Jerry tune and still had the same problem. So I thought I'd check the spark plugs. After scrapping a few knuckles, they all checked out ok, so I thought I'd change the wires/leads back to original.

Surprise, surprise, the sputter disappeared and car drove great. It was those damn Magnecor wires. Be warned.....

Thought I'd share and let you all know.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thanks for the warning Mine are good so far..
Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by LAZA_C32
I recently purchased the Code3 SC pulley and intake, installed it and the car developed a splutter along with a few CEL codes (p2050, P2051, P2055).

At the time I thought it was the C3 SC pulley belt slipping or perhaps needed an ECU tune.

In any case I got the Jerry tune and still had the same problem. So I thought I'd check the spark plugs. After scrapping a few knuckles, they all checked out ok, so I thought I'd change the wires/leads back to original.

Surprise, surprise, the sputter disappeared and car drove great. It was those damn Magnecor wires. Be warned.....

Thought I'd share and let you all know.
G'day!!

so tuning is not necessary for the crank and kompressor pulley combo?

i just ordered code3 stuff, if tuning is not necessary, might go on the hunt to find 178mm crank pulley
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 AM

C32 AMG
Tuning - recommended

The tuning wasn't needed to resolve my sputter issue however I'd certainly recommend tuning for that set-up to ensure the A/F ratio's are ok.

I'm actually getting a dyno later in the week to check all that and then Jerry may modify the ECU file depending on the results.

The car does feel stronger with the ECU tune and it's safer too, otherwise you could be leaning out it high RPM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AMGV6K
G'day!!

i just ordered code3 stuff, if tuning is not necessary, might go on the hunt to find 178mm crank pulley
Yes a Tune is highly recommended for a SC and crank pulley combo

Search the forum or post to see who is using that combo without Tune and ask them their personal recommendations.....talk to Brandon from C3P about your question or call LET and ask there advice cause I believe they delt with that situation.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by AMGV6K
G'day!!

As OP stated "Tuning - recommended

The tuning wasn't needed to resolve my sputter issue however I'd certainly recommend tuning for that set-up to ensure the A/F ratio's are ok.

I'm actually getting a dyno later in the week to check all that and then Jerry may modify the ECU file depending on the results.

The car does feel stronger with the ECU tune and it's safer too, otherwise you could be leaning out it high RPM."

Now he does not say he is using the SC and 178mm crank pulley combo he says the SC and intake combo
Old 08-20-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
had the same issue last year...

same problem.. bad wires.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I'd definitely recommend a tune if you're adding any power mods especially like a 178 mm pulley.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM

2002 C32 AMG
This seems to be a common issue with Magnecors. I had them on my Talon TSi, and after about a year, they were shot. It took me a little while to find the problem. They were the last things on my checklist since they weren't very old.

***IF YOU HAVE MAGNECOR WIRES, AND ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS, CHECK THEM FIRST!!!*** Your plugs will outlast the wires.