C32 questions - performance related

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 srt4, 91 tsi awd
C32 questions - performance related

Greetings,

I'm pondering the purchase of a C32 to replace my loud srt.

But there seems to be some issues with its stock performance numbers.

Going thru the members posts here, it seems alot of the cars stock run a high 13 at around 100-102mph.

Where the mags seem to get mid to low 13's at 105-106.
That is a decent amount of difference, ie 50hp difference.

Even if there was driver error, the trap should at least be similar.

Thanks for any incite.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by steeltwo
Greetings,

Going thru the members posts here, it seems alot of the cars stock run a high 13 at around 100-102mph.

Thanks for any incite.
Nah - the normal stats for stock C32s are low-mid 13's (13.2-13.5) at 104-106. Of course, these stats are assuming normal drag conditions! (i.e. decent elevation, DA, etc.).
Old 09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Greetings,

Thanks for any incite.
You will also see many posts of guys fairly heavily modded running those exact same numbers. Is it because they have less hp? No. These cars can be tricky to launch, especially after some mods.
I believe it was C32Used that ran Jerry's full blown LET tuned car and he put up a mid 13. Jerry can run the same car nearly a full second quicker.
Nothing against C32USED, it just shows how it takes time to learn each car before and/or after mods especially.
Have no fears about the performance of the C32. This is a great time to own one as the aftermarket is buzzing with new toys for us!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Greetings,

Thanks for any incite.
I can tell you form MANY runs, my little C32 stock would pull about 1-2 car lengths on 300 SRT's. Now that I put a pully on my toy, its an easy walk. You won't be disapointed.

As the above posts stated, just because its an automatic, doesn't mean you push the pedal to the floor and go. ALL cars, with high HP, take some skill to launch. Unless you cheat and run DR

see yeah
Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM

CLK550
Greetings,

Thanks for any incite.

As a previous stage 3 SRT-4 owner, I can tell you that the C32 is a very fun car. Stock vs stock, it's a little bit faster than an SRT-4 under 100mph. Over 100mph, it's a lot faster. Depending on how many mods you have on your SRT, performance with the C32 will be a step up or a step down. Either way, it's a highly entertaining car to drive and have a decent amount of luxury as well. As much as I enjoyed my SRT, I don't regret trading it in for the C32 one bit.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
elevation and temps..

therefore mags are corrected times based on sea level
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
The C32 is no slouch Its also very rare and thats a good thing. its IMO one of the best used performance cars for the money you can get today. for short change you can have one beast of a C32. Forced induction is the way to go. for like $3000 in mods you will own just about anything at the drag strip. Dragtimes.com has a DA calculator and its very cool

Last edited by hooleyboy; 09-16-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 AM
M_M

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
You will also see many posts of guys fairly heavily modded running those exact same numbers. Is it because they have less hp? No. These cars can be tricky to launch, especially after some mods.
I believe it was C32Used that ran Jerry's full blown LET tuned car and he put up a mid 13. Jerry can run the same car nearly a full second quicker.
Nothing against C32USED, it just shows how it takes time to learn each car before and/or after mods especially.
Have no fears about the performance of the C32. This is a great time to own one as the aftermarket is buzzing with new toys for us!
tricky to launch?? I believe our cars are automatic, so just make sure the esp is off and rock the throttle as soon as the green light turns green, off you go....

and if you can't get rid of the wheelspin, just get a set of R compound tires, and get your wheels aligned back to the factory spec(about 1/4 toe in all around)so as to improve the off-the-line stability.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by M_M
tricky to launch?? I believe our cars are automatic, so just make sure the esp is off and rock the throttle as soon as the green light turns green, off you go....

and if you can't get rid of the wheelspin, just get a set of R compound tires, and get your wheels aligned back to the factory spec(about 1/4 toe in all around)so as to improve the off-the-line stability.
Easier said than done, Mine just wants to spin and more spin!! Even X who is an awesome drag racer says I have a 12 second car that won't run 12s without drag radials.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by M_M

Others have already touched on this but here is a good quote from MRAMG1 in case you missed it the first time around. Any monkey can mash the throttle. There is a second (or more) to be had or lost from a proper launch with our automatics.

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
As the above posts stated, just because its an automatic, doesn't mean you push the pedal to the floor and go. ALL cars, with high HP, take some skill to launch. Unless you cheat and run DR

see yeah
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Others have already touched on this but here is a good quote from MRAMG1 in case you missed it the first time around. Any monkey can mash the throttle. There is a second (or more) to be had or lost from a proper launch with our automatics.
Again, easier said than done when that "Tree" is staring you down and the last yellow lights up and brain says GO!!! Even with a light footed throttle (no mash) I still got wheelspin well into the start. What I need is a Quaife and some drag radials. THE ESP on the Merc really shuts the car down.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Again, easier said than done when that "Tree" is staring you down and the last yellow lights up and brain says GO!!! Even with a light footed throttle (no mash) I still got wheelspin well into the start. What I need is a Quaife and some drag radials. THE ESP on the Merc really shuts the car down.
I agree. M_M was the one that needed convincing.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Greetings,

Thanks for any incite.
I Ran a Neon ACR in the twisties in the SCCA. Great car that loves to lift that inside back wheel in the turns, ala the old Rabbits/GTIs. Car actually handled better than my C32, BUT was down on power. Best QTR for that car was 14s at about 96-98 MPH, Never saw 13s in that car and for sure never in the three digits for trap speed.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I Ran a Neon ACR in the twisties in the SCCA. Great car that loves to lift that inside back wheel in the turns, ala the old Rabbits/GTIs. Car actually handled better than my C32, BUT was down on power. Best QTR for that car was 14s at about 96-98 MPH, Never saw 13s in that car and for sure never in the three digits for trap speed.
OT - your sig seems to suggest Stevie Nicks is a flying pig...
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I was just pondering the same thing. What's up with that Glenn?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Flying pig? Wait, I thought that WAS Stevie Nicks!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by RedBull
I was just pondering the same thing. What's up with that Glenn?

Oh you're just jealous that you haven't gotten to meet her royal highness in person or play Stand Back while you drag your C32!!! PLay nice boys, you gotta love "When Pigs Fly."

That's my new avatar until the BS stops and we start seeing the parts flow out of Michigan or Calif!! Spearco, uh huh??? Better IC's uh huh??? Brake rotors, uh huh???

I GUESS I'll have to spend my $$ elsewhere and go with the SRT-6 guys. They seem to have us Out-modded for sure.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
You are getting rid of the SRT because it is loud? Why did you buy it in the first place if it was loud

My guess is you are going to run or did run a C32

I think the guys provided a real good performance stat's for you to judge by.

Greetings,

Thanks for any incite.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by bud4ya
You are getting rid of the SRT because it is loud? Why did you buy it in the first place if it was loud
You need an aftermarket exhaust on them to really help open up their performance. So my guess is that he has probably had his SRT for a while, and the aftermarket exhaust is starting to wear on him. Mine SRT, with a full 3" catless exhaust, got on my nerves after a while. I don't know how the guys with a dump exhaust do it.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 AM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
I bet the sound would drown you out of the car. The SRT 4's are no slouch either. I was wondering if he meant exhaust noise or interior rattling after so many miles.

Originally Posted by RedBull
You need an aftermarket exhaust on them to really help open up their performance. So my guess is that he has probably had his SRT for a while, and the aftermarket exhaust is starting to wear on him. Mine SRT, with a full 3" catless exhaust, got on my nerves after a while. I don't know how the guys with a dump exhaust do it.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by bud4ya
I bet the sound would drown you out of the car. The SRT 4's are no slouch either. I was wondering if he meant exhaust noise or interior rattling after so many miles.
Interior rattling would be caused more by solid motor/trans mounts than exhaust. I personally never had any problems with interior rattling, even with solid mounts. There was a significant increase in vibration. You are correct about the sound of an aftermarket exhaust drowning you out. It gets very loud, and the droning at highway speeds is unbearable at times.

That's one of the things I love about the C32's exhaust. It's just loud enough for you to notice it, but it's never disruptive. And the sound at wide open throttle is sexy as hell.