C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Another day at Mosport; final track day of the season for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM
OPM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dorikin_86
some of the tracks in socal require heavy braking so that's why mine are toast after a lap or 2 =(

The car is def. bulletproof but I think the slushbox really takes away the fun...especially when the amg speedshift isn't so speedy. The understeer is quite annoying in the car though and it just doens't feel quite as agile/nimble as a bmw but then again...my old m3 wasnt as comfortable =)
Understeer is a safety issue. 99.9% of all cars are build that way on purpose. You can adjust that if you want to.

Better: pads + fluid + braking technique = no fade
Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
[QUOTE=PC Valkyrie;3101305]I went to Mosport on Wednesday as part of the 6th Gear group. It was a bit chilly (13-15 degrees), and the rain didn't come until the afternoon. The left front tire of the 1er was shot, so I took the C55. Took advantage of the good weather in the morning and did a tonne of laps to the point where the computer notified me to add some motor oil after prolonged running at high rpm's. So I got some Mobil 1 0W40 motor oil to top up and I was good to go again in the afternoon when it rained. I learned quite a bit about the proper racing line in the wet, as the normal dry line became so slick it was like cornering on ice.

Again, there were lots of P-cars there (996 Turbo's, 996 Cabrio, 993 Turbo, 997 GT3, 997 GT3 RS, 944's), 2 older Ferrari's (race prepped 355, and red 308), 2 E46 M3's, 2 other Benzes (E55 AMG, E550 4Matic) that over power me, 2 Corvette Z06's, new Evo X, old Subuaru RS, etc, and quite a few fully prepped race cars of all sorts.

The highlight for me is knowledge that I am definitely getting faster on this track. Last time I was there in May, my fastest lap was around 1 min 52 seconds. This time, I could consistently lap around 1 min 45 seconds when there was no traffic in front of me. I get these times from my video frames. I'm personally very pleased with this as many of the experienced P-car guys are lapping in the low to mid 1:40's. As always, I think there is still some time I could shave off in the future if I ever get the courage to nail a perfect lap.

Another highlight that day was being held up for over 10 minutes on 2 separate occasions by slower cars (a silver 944 and a yellow Ferrari 355). I was clearly faster than these 2 guys, but they never pointed me by to pass so I followed the rules and just kept following them. I don't know whether it was pride that prevented these guys from doing the right thing........maybe letting a Benz pass you really hurts.......I guess I will never know.

I am confused here, what rules were you following that stated you could not pass a backmarker on the course??? Was there a flag out?? Track debris?? Safety truck?? Pace car?? I've never heard of that one??
Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I am confused here, what rules were you following that stated you could not pass a backmarker on the course??? Was there a flag out?? Track debris?? Safety truck?? Pace car?? I've never heard of that one??
On most track days I have been to, a car can pass another car ONLY IF the slower car ahead signals the car behind. This signal usually means sticking your hand out the window and point in the direction you want the car behind to pass you on. Other signals may be using your blinkers. No signal means the car behind is not allowed to pass. This is for obvious safety reasons, as these are lapping days, not racing, and you don't want to pass somebody without them knowing.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
OPM

He was at a HPDE event, not a race. No pace car, no passing in corners, no prize for being faster than others. Safety and education are the goals. He could ONLY pass on designated straights and ONLY if the driver in front sees him by acknowledging his presents by pointing him by.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie

Another highlight that day was being held up for over 10 minutes on 2 separate occasions by slower cars (a silver 944 and a yellow Ferrari 355). I was clearly faster than these 2 guys, but they never pointed me by to pass so I followed the rules and just kept following them. I don't know whether it was pride that prevented these guys from doing the right thing........maybe letting a Benz pass you really hurts.......I guess I will never know.
oh my..i apologize on behalf of the 355 driver...

i was on track last july with a 612 scaglietti and yes...i was faster and yes...i didn't get a point by. it's all ego. another group of drivers than don't like giving point bys are the elise,exige guys. i guess they got duped by the car's marketing so when a comfy 4 dr shows up in their mirrors they go into denial.

i have to confess that sometimes i make passes without point bys...after tailing one of the kind chaps for a few laps. i've never been pulled in for doing that but the correct thing to do is to pull in the pit land to give yourself some space....this aint racing after all.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:32 PM
OPM

I love when people drive their rearview mirror. It is so much fun to see them fall apart. I can recall at least 4 drivers that span by trying to outrun me rather than to just point me and comely focus on their line.

Cecil, you run in advance groups where “most” drivers are aware of their surroundings. So squeezing by in a safe matter (once in awhile) after a few laps might be ok. PC is not yet in those groups and he did absolutely the right thing by not passing. Personally, I do my best not to pass unless I see a clear point. However, once in awhile I pass on “imaginary” point by. When I do – it’s always with a lot of momentum and I often take next comer off line.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Smile

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same league/size

HA, ha
I finally got a good inexpensive helmet. It's a new G-force Pro Force Air SA2000 rated helmet. Should be good enough. Last time I went autocrossing I had to borrow somebody's L size helmet; it reeked of sweat and was way too small for me. I'll probably find a small filtered air pump and hook it up with 3/4" flex air hose. I'll use the power switch off my Recaro ventilated seats to power the pump. This helmet looks like it already has been pre-drilled for a HANS device.

Link
Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by OPM
He was at a HPDE event, not a race. No pace car, no passing in corners, no prize for being faster than others. Safety and education are the goals. He could ONLY pass on designated straights and ONLY if the driver in front sees him by acknowledging his presents by pointing him by.
Gotcha, I guess I've broken their HPDE rules then because backmarkers are always game for being passed and unless there's a driver's meeting beforehand saying, NO PASSING, we've always passed if there was no flag etc.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 PM
OPM

Different clubs/organizers have different rules. Some run without flaggers, instructors, emergency personnel, tech inspection, etc. IMHO, this hobby is way too risky as is, without added chaos of poorly organized event. My priorities: 1) Safety, 2) Fun, and 3) Self-improvement. It takes years to develop skills, yet only seconds to get seriously hurt. Some clubs organize race schools, which are open to advance drivers. Here is an example http://www.vimeo.com/1850219 That is safe environment to learn corner passing and other racing techniques. I highly, highly recommend you find safer club to run with. Here in NE Audi and BMW are top notch. As I hear it, similar is true across the country. Most chapters of PCA have a good rep. There is also a ton of great non-club organizers, e.g. SCDA.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by OPM
Different clubs/organizers have different rules. Some run without flaggers, instructors, emergency personnel, tech inspection, etc. IMHO, this hobby is way too risky as is, without added chaos of poorly organized event. My priorities: 1) Safety, 2) Fun, and 3) Self-improvement. It takes years to develop skills, yet only seconds to get seriously hurt. Some clubs organize race schools, which are open to advance drivers. Here is an example http://www.vimeo.com/1850219 That is safe environment to learn corner passing and other racing techniques. I highly, highly recommend you find safer club to run with. Here in NE Audi and BMW are top notch. As I hear it, similar is true across the country. Most chapters of PCA have a good rep. There is also a ton of great non-club organizers, e.g. SCDA.
Our Chicago SCCA, before stupid politics got involved, was a great club. Very organized and professional. Safety was always paramount. As far as these HPDE are concerned. at the IS 400F Lexus Event in Joliet this past June, they didnt allow wheel to wheel, BUT would allow passing if safe and the backmarker was going real slow!! There were plenty going slow. On the lead/follow, there was no passing, which is cool with me, BUT we did some passing on the hot laps. you're right, most of the HPDE do NOT allow passing unless "signaled" and then its usually by instructor. I went just to drive the car and its a great trans, weak engine IMHO.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by OPM
I love when people drive their rearview mirror. It is so much fun to see them fall apart. I can recall at least 4 drivers that span by trying to outrun me rather than to just point me and comely focus on their line.

Cecil, you run in advance groups where “most” drivers are aware of their surroundings. So squeezing by in a safe matter (once in awhile) after a few laps might be ok. PC is not yet in those groups and he did absolutely the right thing by not passing. Personally, I do my best not to pass unless I see a clear point. However, once in awhile I pass on “imaginary” point by. When I do – it’s always with a lot of momentum and I often take next comer off line.
yep i know what you mean.

i'm not saying he pass w/o the point by but that the correct thing to do is pull in the pits. sometimes what i do - especially if traffic is light- is really breathe off the throttle on the straights for a lap or 2 thus allowing the slower car to really pull away. then resume normal pace. this way you get to stay out on track and manage your position.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Lightbulb

Has anybody here tried power oversteering in the turns with their MB? Did you have ESP switched off? Just wanted to know about others experiences in regards to "drifting." I'm not a drift nut, but power oversteering sounds like it could be fun.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by pshek
Has anybody here tried power oversteering in the turns with their MB? Did you have ESP switched off? Just wanted to know about others experiences in regards to "drifting." I'm not a drift nut, but power oversteering sounds like it could be fun.
Yeah, I have done it and use it in turn 10-11 at Beaverun. Not necasarily the fastest way around, but it does get the car turned. Up hill, almost 180 and the corner workers really enjoy it. Heck they even film me. Okay, and its fun too

I always run with Esp Off, because as you know, its not REALLY off. I hate everytime I look down and see that STUPID blinking light. Why for the love of GOD does AMG NOT include a posi on EVERY car they make

See yeah
Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bit of a thread revival, but here are some pics from the track day at Mosport.

Here are some pics of the C55.

And for the first time in my life, I wasn't the only Benz at the track. There was a E55 AMG, and a E550 4Matic.

I do have pics of some of the 40+ cars that were there. If there is interest, and if I have time, I can post some of them.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:30 AM

"One Man. One Engine."
Good driving PC...

what was the speedo reading on the straightaways?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:45 AM

05 c55, 08 600rr
great vids. thanks for sharing. its good to see our four door family sedans representing trackside.

its a btch that those guys didnt let you pass, but you did the right thing. i cant say i wouldnt have "illegally" passed them, but you were in the right, you did the right thing. they were wrong and showed just how little they are as a person. man, if someone is better than you at something, they just are, either practice more and get better get the hell out of the way.

id stick on a baby on board sign and put a car seat in back, but thats just me!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by power-fade
Good driving PC...

what was the speedo reading on the straightaways?
On the long back straight, the fastest speed I reached was about 220km/h.

Originally Posted by genome
id stick on a baby on board sign and put a car seat in back, but thats just me!
haha....I always leave my 2 car seats in the back when I go to the track in this car.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM

05 c55, 08 600rr
HA! im not sure if you are just lazy, but, regardless, i think we might share the same screwed up sense of humor!

nice sd skullone btw