C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
Fog Lights

Anybody have any detailed information on removing the bulbs from the fog light? I check the C-class light faq web page and it only specifies the regular C class. I don't think our car has the same setup.

I have some Phillips 9006 HID kit that I was using on my previous vehicle and would like to install them into the fog lights so that I'll have an all HID setup.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
The foglight bulbs are probalby H3. My projectory beam E55 foglights are H3. Another bulb used commonly in MBZ fogs are the H1 bulb. Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:50 PM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
Hi Tomguy, I have a 03 C32, and I changed my fogs to HID, I got the 6000k Hanabi series. Good news for you, we use 9006 bulbs for fog lights.

A note on installation. Be very very very careful when putting in the HID bulb into the left side (when you are sitting in the car) of the fog light socket. There is the wiper fluid reservior blocking the way, which prevents direct accessibility to the socket. Best technique to reach there, to me, was to lay down flat on the ground, and slowly fit the HID bulb into that socket.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:16 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by dfc
Hi Tomguy, I have a 03 C32, and I changed my fogs to HID, I got the 6000k Hanabi series. Good news for you, we use 9006 bulbs for fog lights.

A note on installation. Be very very very careful when putting in the HID bulb into the left side (when you are sitting in the car) of the fog light socket. There is the wiper fluid reservior blocking the way, which prevents direct accessibility to the socket. Best technique to reach there, to me, was to lay down flat on the ground, and slowly fit the HID bulb into that socket.
DFC, where did you get your Hanabi series HID? And can you post pictures? I'm interested in doing the same. Thanks.

B
Old 01-21-2003, 11:27 PM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
Here you are

Hi Boo, I got my Hanabi from China this past X-mas. It's a lot cheaper to get stuff back home. I saw similar ones sold on Ebay before for around 350-450ish. I got mine for 200, which is pretty good. Here are some pics.

Old 01-22-2003, 12:08 AM

2003 C32 AMG
I haven't really taken a look underneath the car yet so my question is.. Does the underpanel unscrew off or do I pull it off to access the fog lights? From the C-Class lighting faq it states to go from above but on our vehicle I don't think that's possible.

BTW, your fog lights look great. How's the beam pattern on it? And are you using a D2S or D2R 9006 bulb?
Old 01-22-2003, 09:30 PM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
Thanks Tom. The beam pattern on the fog lights are pretty normal. They aren't as scattered as what the halogen ones seemed to be. Maybe it's b/c they are brighter. Sitting in the car, I sense an improvement in the brightness as well. W/ the original halogen, I can't see the road well w/ just the fogs on at night. Now, It's half way btwn the halogen and the low-beam lighting. Not 100% positive, but I think i have D2R.

About installation. There is no way you can reach the fogs from under the hood. Only way is to unscrew several (2 or 3) screws from the wheel well. It's the hexgon shaped ones. Then there are about 3 more of those plastic push-in pins. Use a flat head screwdriver to losen the middle section of the pin, so thta it comes out of the socket halfway. Then pull the entire pin out. Rember to turn your wheel all the way to one direction when working. I shoved the ballast and the other red box in the lower part of the engine compartment.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:51 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Thanks I will try that this weekend when I have time.

D2R is the bulb with a ceramic stripe on the bulb. Mainly used in reflector headlamp system to reduce glare.

The reason I was asking was that usually that ceramic stripe will create a shadow if placed in a vehicle that wasn't designed for the HID. On mine, I have the D2R bulb also but used some sandpaper to remove the ceramic coating so that it will produce light all around and prevent any shadows.