C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Tints in Chicago???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Silver C55, 2008 Ducati 1098
Tints in Chicago???

So the new law passed allowing 35% tints all around in Illinois was passed, but apparently speaking to city of chicago cops they follow there own ordinances, corrupt *** bags!

My question is to see if any of you guys have experienced any issues since the new law passed in illinois while you were in the city???

Really wanna 35% all around but would rather not have to deal with stupid cops that have nothing better to do besides make you give money to the city!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Versace1230
So the new law passed allowing 35% tints all around in Illinois was passed, but apparently speaking to city of chicago cops they follow there own ordinances, corrupt *** bags!

My question is to see if any of you guys have experienced any issues since the new law passed in illinois while you were in the city???

Really wanna 35% all around but would rather not have to deal with stupid cops that have nothing better to do besides make you give money to the city!
I went 9% all the way around. (except windshield) Haven't been hassled yet.

Can anyone verify that city can over-rule state law like that?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Silver C55, 2008 Ducati 1098
Well here is the law:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ehicle+Code%2E

Its in the middle of the page stating:

on vehicles where none of the windows to the
rear of the driver's seat are treated in a manner that allows less than 35% light transmittance, a nonreflective tinted film that allows at least 35% light transmittance, with a 5% variance observed by any law enforcement official metering the light transmittance, may be used on the side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver.

So I did some calling around to the secretary and various police departments and just got frustrated cause every was talking about Chicago being basically its own state with there own laws, which sounds about right with Chicago's track record.

But got through to the Secretary of State Chicago Division and the lady told me "Illinois laws apply in Chicago, the only reason you would get a ticket, as I am sure you know, cause the city needs money."

So I just printed out the law and am just going to keep it in the car for good measure if I get pulled over.

I think 9% is pushin it, but guess you could contest it if the officer didn't use a device to measure the amount of light transmitance.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Chicago is indeed asserting home rule in regards to their tint ordinance... I would not recommend anyone in chicago tint their windows as all the hearings so far have been upholding the oridnance.