RPM Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
RPM Gauge Question

Hi All-

I've owned my C55 for about a month and a half now, and love it. It has just 22,000 miles, and seems to be in excellent shape. However, I've noticed that during cruising at a fairly constant speed (in all modes, C, S, M) the RPM's will fluctuate constantly by a few miniscule RPM. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the gauge, or the engine. Has anyone else noticed this? No other car I've had does this. Perhaps this is normal for the car, but I'm unsure at this point. Could this be a loose belt of some sort?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
I don't recall seeing this, but it might be nothing, or it might be the torque converter acting funny. More likely, it's nothing. You're being extremely observant!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
that does sound like an issue with the converter (or the software)
Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Very observant Almost too observant!

Another symptom that I've been worried about is when I'm in either S or C mode, and begin to accelerate, the rpms will actually drop prior to rising with speed. This has got to be the software, which leads me to my next question, how to reset?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
This is normal when you're starting off from a stop, it's basically doing the same thing a clutch would do. Rpm's drop as the torque converter locks up and then rpm's rise as you accelerate. I find this to be annoying at times which is why I drive in S mode unless I'm really babying her around town.

mike

Originally Posted by Mark.D
Very observant Almost too observant!

Another symptom that I've been worried about is when I'm in either S or C mode, and begin to accelerate, the rpms will actually drop prior to rising with speed. This has got to be the software, which leads me to my next question, how to reset?